My wife dies - my child and I can stay on land and house??

Are there really any requirement for the estate to transfer the property away from the deceased's name within one year? 

I've seen Thais who inherited land/house and keep it in their dead parent's name for a long time until he sold it.

If that's possible

If you or your son is appointed the executor of the estate, you could keep the deed in your wife's name

On 08/11/2016 at 9:30 AM, meatboy said:

you should be ok.as you are or will be the sole gardian of your child.i think its a different extension to mariage or retirerment.

20 hours ago, Generalchaos said:

Wonder if anyone can add a little more detail regarding the change to the reason for extension of stay?

If I was to apply for an extension based on being the parent of a Thai child, is that extension limited in anyway by the age of the child, i.e. when the child legally becomes adult at 20 years of age, would I then no longer be able to extend as a parent?

Cheers

Glelogo, now you have read all the expert replies, now I answer your questions for you. Yes to the first bit and yes to the second bit and now see a lawyer.

23 hours ago, globalance said:

Glegolo.....my Thai wife died 6 years ago at age 40. We have two children together and we each have an additional Thai child. I went to the bank that held a mortgage on our house (only 600K on a 5 to 6MBT house) and that Government Housing Bank lawyer informed me that in Thailand, if a Thai wife dies.....then her foreigner husband is allowed to own that ONE HOUSE and up to 1 rai of land (1 rai = 40% of an acre). But that lawyer was soon after transfered and its taken years to finally get the name put into my name. Mostly because of bureaucratic nonsense. I went to the court 6 years ago and the judge granted me "executor of the estate" status....but the court put my name in only the Thai language. I insisted in having my name in English put on the house and land deed. Its finally happening within the next few days. They put my name in Thai on the deed but it stated that I was only the Executor or the Estate....and not the house owner. However, although its taken a lot of time, I will finally have the house and the land under the house in my name as an America citizen....in the next few days. Other lawyers I went to had never heard about this....so don't be discouraged if Thai lawyers tell you can't own land and or house in Thailand as a foreigner....that is simply not correct. Have someone, maybe an attorney, hunt through the land office legal statutes....and he'll find it. Remember, you cannot own more than one rai of land, or 1600 square meters of land. Good Luck! If I had it in digital form I would attach it...but I don't and we recently moved and leased out the house and I have no idea where those "land department" statutes are!!! Sorry!

I was thinking this special agreement for owning land is only for US citizen!