Kamnan Po's Family

monty

Mayor Niran not to seek re-election

Says he lacks international experience Pattaya’s popular and hard working mayor Niran Wattanasarsathorn attended a media event at Long Beach hotel in Naklua to insist he would not be standing again for a second stint as mayor at the local election in just over a year’s time. He said he wanted to support the candidature of Mr Ittipol Khunpleum, the son of Somchai Khunpleum or “Kamnan Poa”, whose family is still very influential in Chonburi province.

Mayor Niran insisted that no pressures whatsoever had been brought to bear on him and that his decision to retire was taken in the best interests of the future of the resort. He said it was his privilege to have served as mayor during an unprecedented boom in tourist numbers, especially from overseas. Therefore, he explained, he wanted to stand down in favour of a new generation with more experience than he had of international affairs and travel. The meeting was presided over by Sonthaya Khunpleum, brother of Ittipol, who was at the ministry of tourism and sport during the former government led by Thaksin Shinawatra. Ittipol himself is a former assemblyman in Chonburi with many positions over a 20 year period in public office. He was educated abroad and is said to have a very good insider’s view of the development of Pattaya to date. Some other local worthies, with mayoral aspirations of their own, expressed disquiet over the announcement, saying that the elected position of mayor was now a foregone conclusion next time. It is well known that Kamnan Poa’s influence has lasted beyond his own exile outside the country and that the Khunpleum family has the resources and the contacts to carry the election. Niran Wattanasartsathorn has put a lot of effort into making the office of mayor a high profile one. He has pioneered meetings with constituents to hear their grievances and attended personally most of the big social and sports events of the Pattaya calendar. He has frequently visited sick or injured overseas tourists and has intervened when he felt that visitors had received a raw deal. His decision not to seek the position of mayor again after a single four year term has surprised most commentators.

Source Pattaya Today

http://www.pattayatoday.net/index.php?acti...ews&id=2004

Edited by monty

Mayor Niran insisted that no pressures whatsoever had been brought to bear on him and that his decision to retire was taken in the best interests of the future of the resort.

Hi Monty,

I read that this morning and chuckled.

The Kamman Po is alive and well and weilding his influence in absentia. :D

Well one corrupt politician is much the same as another - but I have to say that the venerable Kamman ran a much cleaner, safer and better ship in Saensuk municipality (Bang Saen) than dear Mayor Niran has manged to do in Pattaya.

If we must have corrupt regimes - let's have the best one available :D

No doubt Siricha John will have a word or two to say. :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

How does the Pattaya Post know that Kamnan Po is in exile? Perhaps they could provide details to the Foreign Ministry and the Interior Ministry so they can begin extradition proceedings. He is a convicted murderer, you know.

:o:D

Pattaya Today, sorry.

Edited by Briggsy

Mayor Niran insisted that no pressures whatsoever had been brought to bear on him and that his decision to retire was taken in the best interests of the future of the resort.

but I have to say that the venerable Kamman ran a much cleaner, safer and better ship in Saensuk municipality (Bang Saen) than dear Mayor Niran has manged to do in Pattaya.

It will be heaven to get the beaches here cleaned and Beach Road safe underfoot. I was really impressed during my short visit to Bang Saen.

Hi Monty,

I read that this morning and chuckled.

The Kamman Po is alive and well and weilding his influence in absentia. :D

Well one corrupt politician is much the same as another - but I have to say that the venerable Kamman ran a much cleaner, safer and better ship in Saensuk municipality (Bang Saen) than dear Mayor Niran has manged to do in Pattaya.

If we must have corrupt regimes - let's have the best one available :D

No doubt Siricha John will have a word or two to say. :o

:D:D

Here I am... Here I am... :D

and yes, I have a couple of things...

First, for anyone unfamilar with the names involved or what they've been up to, here's a good informative thread that's been actively running for over 14 months now...

Sinking Lower The Lowest, Pattaya City News Breaks Record

As pointed out, it seems to be pretty much a foregone conclusion that all the local papers pay homage to the Godfather. I noticed that Somchai is even listed on the Board of Directors for Pattaya People paper.

It is indeed interesting that Somchai's other offspring is branching off into the Mayor of Pattaya's chair. With MP elections at some unknown future date, no reason why the kids can't keep their hands in the cookie jars with local municipality elections.

Good luck to the Pattayaites..

*edit*

Here are some pics of the new mayor?? They were taken back while he was a Chonburi MP... so yeah, as I said... the Pattaya Mayor position is just a fill-in gig:

ittipol.jpg

ittipol2.jpg

Edited by sriracha john