Motorbike prices in Thailand

watcharacters

I recently opined about the high cost of trainers (tennis shoes) in Thailand.     Yesterday,  the Missus and I visited a  local Yamaha dealer   hoping to find a 2016 155 cc Tricity.    We had time to stroll around and see some of the other bikes.   I was blown away  by how inexpensive some of them  appeared to be.   As an example the M Slav @ 93,000 THB looked like  lot of bike for that figure.

I looked it up on THV and saw a post by a fellow who received a reply about a  much larger bike (250 cc) for only another 2 - 3 thousand  THB.      It looked good.

I tried to see if the M Slav is available in the USA but gather it's not from my search.      I never rode  motorbikes in the US  other than renting  one a few times when there wasn't even a separate license requirement.    But overall I'd gather the USA has far higher motorbike prices. 

I believe Thailand has, hands down, lower motorbike prices than the USA.   I'd say Thailand wins the less expensive  trophy regarding motorbikes.

Try buy a Harley here and you start crying when you see the prices, they are extremely expensive here.

Made in Thailand bikes are fairly cheap here and also Ducati's as they are assembled here but are not sure if they are actually cheaper than in the US.

For me coming from Denmark where the tax on vehicles are something like +200%, everything on wheels are cheap here.

Some bikes, especially scooters, are cheaper in Thailand. Many big bikes are available with decent prices too nowerdays but there's still plenty models in the higher cc ranges that are 2x the price you'd find in many western countries due to import tax.

Bikes produced solely for the Asian market are built to a price, especially the small ones. They are normally made for city and village dwellers that never get onto expressways. There are exceptions. 

Sporty bikes in the 150 range are built for 50-65kg riders. They have flashy designs which mimic their big brothers, horrid brakes, awful suspension, and anemic power aimed at extracting every satang out of the tank. DELETED

I have ridden/purchased more than a dozen bikes in the past few decades in SEA, each and every time I cringe at the time of payment, knowing full well that the same bike could be purchased far cheaper back on the states. You won't find better value in TH.

Lots of nice bikes and decent values in the 250/300-500/650 range produced in TH available in TH. But, even Japanese brand bikes made in TH and shipped to the USA sell for 20-30% more in TH. And it's not because of tax, anymore. We have tax in the USA as well.

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

Ducati in America are over 50% cheaper then here.Most Big Bike are a lot cheaper in America just like Cars, computers, Mobil Phones all cheaper in America 

You can buy products made in Thailand in the US cheaper than you can here. Its called dumping and it has crippled the American working class. Retired US congressmen working as lobbyists for foreign companies and countries love it though. Sad.

14 hours ago, papa al said:

MSlaz are selling great here.

I have only seen a couple or 3 on the road,  but if you say there is a waiting list then some one must be buying.

Yamaha Exciter  MotoGP Edition  62,500  baht  is a much more sensible price for a 150 cc bike

M-slaz 93,000 baht   same size 150 cc engine and a bit more plastic = 30,000 baht more  

I recently saw a M-slaz in a Yamaha show stand at Big C  with a sticker price of 88,000 baht   so only 25,500 baht more.

On 10/11/2559 at 2:52 PM, papa al said:

Maybe more appropriate to compare MSlaz to

CBR150 [B84,000?]

papa would prefer the Yamaha

for sure.

papa still like the CB 150...bright red?     Sorry the yam.. looks nice too, but the name sticks as SLAG...  Papa don't do no slag... On the pegs..

On 11/9/2016 at 4:36 PM, lust said:

You're comparing 1000cc American bikes to 150cc Asian bikes. 

I didn't mean to make any comparisons, lust.     I'm only saying when I was in the Yamaha shop I was impressed about what I thought were low prices.     They were not bank account breakers.

I'm looking for a bike  that will hopefully provide me with more stability than I find with the current bike I bought for the Missus.

On 11/10/2016 at 11:37 AM, Grubster said:

You can buy products made in Thailand in the US cheaper than you can here. Its called dumping and it has crippled the American working class. Retired US congressmen working as lobbyists for foreign companies and countries love it though. Sad.

I appreciate what you're saying Grubster although this was not meant to be a political thread.

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

I appreciate what you're saying Grubster although this was not meant to be a political thread.

Prices of goods in the world is the biggest political topic in the world in my opinion. That said yes I looked at a pair of Crocks here for 1800 baht, here in asia where they are made.     800 baht in the US.

Ducati in America are over 50% cheaper then here.Most Big Bike are a lot cheaper in America just like Cars, computers, Mobil Phones all cheaper in America 

Depends on which model you are talking about. Ducatis that are assembled here are about 20% cheaper in the US.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/new-ducati-motorcycles

http://www.ducatithailand.com/bikes/pricelist.do

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• 1 year later...
17 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

trying to find the value of a 2016 Yamaha 155 nmax  2000 klm. bought new in Bangkok 1 1/2 years ago now in buriram.

value for selling it outright or trading it in. Thanks for your help.

Have a look on Kaidee, you can see what others punters are asking......

Archived