Australian man wins fight over bargain engagement ring

webfact

Australian man wins fight over bargain engagement ring

An Australian man has won his fight to keep an engagement ring he bought at a huge A$32,900 (£20,326) discount, due to an online pricing bungle.

Nicholas Buttle bought the two-carat diamond ring for A$1,100, the Daily Telegraph reported.

But then retailer Royal Diamonds Pty Ltd refused to deliver it, saying it was worth A$34,000. Mr Buttle took the dispute to a tribunal and won.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37933251

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2016-11-10

Rip off maybe (probably?)... but pricing labels online/offline are often wrong

Ok sure my example isn't $34k but yesterday in Tesco I bought Mach3 Blades which had three facings on the shelf with three different prices (230, 440, 520). My understanding is that in Australia if the item is labelled incorrectly, you pay the labelled price (my mate manages a bunnings store and said something about a similar big screw-up once over power tools).

So in short... yep, good on the guy for fighting it... he should win!

I don't particpate in the diamond jewelry mindset and I never thought I would be sympathetic to a jeweler BUT this kid should be ashamed of himself.

He and his smiling wife are starting their marriage out all wrong and with an attitude of me, me, me like theirs, I would not be surprised if a divorce is in the near future.

No good can come of a start like this.

54 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I don't particpate in the diamond jewelry mindset and I never thought I would be sympathetic to a jeweler BUT this kid should be ashamed of himself.

He and his smiling wife are starting their marriage out all wrong and with an attitude of me, me, me like theirs, I would not be surprised if a divorce is in the near future.

No good can come of a start like this.

Nonsense, the Jewelry industry operates on a 300% mark up at every level and to hell with the customer, they basically charge what the market will bear (similar to spectacle frame makers), if by chance you get to be in "the man bites dog" position, and the law agrees, then go for it!! :partytime2::wai:

7/11 stores in Thailand often seem to be very casual about price labelling of products on their shelves. I have often selected a product partly on the basis of its quoted shelf price, only to find that the till price is different.  If spotted at the time and queried, the assistant will accompany me to the shelf and merely points out that the products or the price labels have been incorrectly positioned, often with no offered apology.  If there was only one item on the shelf, I realise that it could be that a customer has moved the item while shopping around, but a customer is unlikely to move a whole row of stock or to move the related label, as there would be no point in doing so.  As someone pointed out above, in some countries, the quoted price would be the one the customer could insist upon.

In the UK, I once bought a giant bag of catfood from Tesco for the shelf price of 18.50 pounds.  After paying, I took all my shopping to my car before examining the bill, as I thought it seemed a bit steep. I discovered that I had been charged for two bags of catfood, so I returned to the Customer Help counter to point out the error.  Without checking my car and to my amazement the lady handed me 37 pounds.  I thought I was pointing out her error by explaining that I had received ONE bag of catfood, so the refund should have been half of that figure.  She smiled and pointed to a nearby notice which stated that any overcharging would be corrected with TWICE the amount of the overcharge.  Now, that is service with a smile!

I don't understand how they could mistake writing 34,000 with 1,100. 

It's not like the numbers are similar. 

Could it be they purposely used a picture of the expensive diamond at 1100 to lure the customers. 

If so, obviously, it backfired. 

I wonder if there were other customers? ??

15 hours ago, Don Mega said:

So if it gets stolen during a break and enter of their home and they claim under the home content insurance does the insurance company payout $1,100 or $34,000 ?

Replacement cost. 34k :thumbsup: