Competitors working illegally ruining my business, what to do?

Thailand1971

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Always bugs me when people start a thread to ask a question and then disappear without responding to any of the answers.

and  when they  do give  u an  update  get  slagged off no  end  like the money  stolen  from the  guesthouse etc $700

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

This - life is very cheap in Thailand.

Since I am no longer involved in the hotel business, I can recount my own experience in Phuket.

I opened the very first 'transit' hotel at the international airport, just after the tsunami of 2004. I t was an immediate success, full of overnight guests every single night of the year.

Of course, visible success means that others will copy your ideas, and then others, and then others....

When I called it a day some months ago, there were 100 guesthouses and hotels listed on booking.com at Phuket Airport.  Many were legally owned by Thais and many were illegal businesses, with no hotel or guesthouse licence.

During the years of running my small hotels, I was physically threatened on several occasions and 2 of my Thai staff were shot dead, (with no police investigation).

Finally, the local police worked 'in hand' with a local drug dealer(s) to force me to vacate my most recent transit hotel business.

I decided that enough was enough and left Thailand.  I now have an enjoyable job in Myanmar and regret nothing of my time in Phuket.

OP beware.  If you 'cause problems' to your illegal or legal competitors, you'll spend a lot of money on lawyer's bills, police bribes etc, and you will always be looking behind you for that guy with the baseball bat or gun.

You need to seriously consider whether that hassle will be worth it.

Is Myanmar "really" any different? I'd  suspect its  not  just Thailand but much of this entire area like this.

1 hour ago, Ace of Pop said:

Ask the Financial Press who post regularly on Company Profits. My remarks were to question his business acumen not start another topic. Hired Hands Info are secure far as i know, and rightly so.

Same goes for companies, also no need to publish under a certain size. If you state something do make sure you know what your talking about. Its highly unlikely that the OP his business is big enough that it has to mandatory publish its financial records in the public domain. 

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Same goes for companies, also no need to publish under a certain size. If you state something do make sure you know what your talking about. Its highly unlikely that the OP his business is big enough that it has to mandatory publish its financial records in the public domain. 

A co.ltd has to send a copy of the annual audited budget to the DBD. Anyone can request for a copy there. 

This makes perfect sense, due to the limited liability such company has. A supplier or customer needs to know the risks when doing business with such company, as one cannot go after owners or directors in case of insolvency or bankruptcy. I think this is the same in all countries actually. 

1 minute ago, Gulfsailor said:

A co.ltd has to send a copy of the annual audited budget to the DBD. Anyone can request for a copy there. 

This makes perfect sense, due to the limited liability such company has. A supplier or customer needs to know the risks when doing business with such company, as one cannot go after owners or directors in case of insolvency or bankruptcy. I think this is the same in all countries actually. 

Depends a bit on the size how much needs to be published.. in my country just a balance sheet for small ones.. profit and loss account only if it surpasses a certain size. (3 different reports) there are even some that don't have to send anything to the chamber of commerce.

11 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

So you know the fixed % for all so why Bleat on,or isn't that public domain.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I certainly don't know all but your the one bleating about tax records and those are never in the public domain.. if your lucky a balance sheet or a profit or loss sheet.. But tax data.. highly unlikely. Keep to what you know best.. cars.. 

Is Myanmar "really" any different? I'd  suspect its  not  just Thailand but much of this entire area like this.

Probably not any different.  The same could happen in Cambodia or Laos or any of these 'lawless' and corrupt countries, (and I class Thailand as lawless and corrupt).  The fundamental difference between what I did in Thailand and what I did and am doing in Myanmar, is that I ran a business in Thailand and I am an employee in Myanmar.  

When running a business, you can lose everything.  As an employee of a company, my highest loss is 1 month of salary (since I'll move on if I'm not paid on time).

11 hours ago, kannot said:

Myanmar doesn't actually even have a work permit system....many neighbouring countries are far easier to set up a legal business in.

The problem with Thailand is that it has a complicated and restrictive set of foreign worker laws which is running side by side with an incredible high level of graft and corruption....this is a very unpleasant recipe.