Retirement Visa Latest + Some Questions.

I am currently working in a gvment school with 1 year visa/WP all sorted out. However, I am fed up and may change to Retirement Visa in a few months. Has anyone done this? Presumably there are no problems in principle?

I went to Immig. today and spoke to a nice official.

She confirmed that:

You don't need medical cert now.

You don't need letter from Embassy or Police re. criminal record.

You do need a letter from your Embassy if you want to prove the 65,000 p.m. pension.

Can anyone answer these questions.....

Can the 65,000 income be made up partially or wholly from investment income and not a gvment pension? I get a small pension, much less than 65,000 a month, but have other income from funds and building society.

If the above is allowable, will the Brit Embassy need proof before they notarize the letter of income which I must take to Immig?

Prsumably with monthly income over 65,000, a bank transfer is not needed?

If any amount of bank transfer is needed (200k or 800k), is the new 3 month rule "gospel" ? The official didn't mention that the money must have been in for 3 months already.

Someone in my soi told me that if I get the Ret Visa, I have to go out every 90 days. Surely they meant 90 day notification only?

Excuse my newbieness!

Thanks

PEddy.

Edited by pauleddy

Can the 65,000 income be made up partially or wholly from investment income and not a gvment pension? I get a small pension, much less than 65,000 a month, but have other income from funds and building society.

Yes it can, if its a fixed payment from the investment.

If the above is allowable, will the Brit Embassy need proof before they notarize the letter of income which I must take to Immig?

Yes and then you need to show this proof as well to Immigration.

Correct at least in BKK.

If any amount of bank transfer is needed (200k or 800k), is the new 3 month rule "gospel" ? The official didn't mention that the money must have been in for 3 months already.

No

Someone in my soi told me that if I get the Ret Visa, I have to go out every 90 days. Surely they meant 90 day notification only?

The "someone" was talking of someone who cannot meet the criteria for the extension of stay permit and has a one year multi entry visa obtained at a Embassy/ Consulate. With this type of visa, they must leave Thailand every 90 days to get a fresh 90 days at the Immigration check point.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

The British Embassy do not notarize your letter. They write a letter to immigration on your behalf. You need to provide credible evidence of your regular income (e.g letter from pension provider/investment company/bank or whatever).

If Immigration also wish to see this credible evidence it is a new requirement for British citizens.

I believe it is only a requirement for US citzens who only have give their word at the US embassy. Personally I would unquestioningly accept their word.

In your circumstances if you cannot provide evidence of 65k/m income and go part income part savings route they WILL require the savings to be on deposit for 3 months before granting an extension. This is only waived if you are already on an extension as a retiree.

If Immigration also wish to see this credible evidence it is a new requirement for British citizens.

I believe it is only a requirement for US citzens who only have give their word at the US embassy. Personally I would unquestioningly accept their word.

It is all nationalities that they require the proof. This is been happening around 5 weeks in BKK.

In your circumstances if you cannot provide evidence of 65k/m income and go part income part savings route they WILL require the savings to be on deposit for 3 months before granting an extension. This is only waived if you are already on an extension as a retiree.

As he will be doing a change from a extension of stay based on business to a "O" visa. AS OF NOW, he will not need to have the funds in the bank for three months. This 3 month rule of the money in the bank would only apply when he applies for the extension of stay based on retirement permit.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

As he will be doing a change from a extension of stay based on business to a "O" visa. AS OF NOW, he will not need to have the funds in the bank for three months. This 3 month rule of the money in the bank would only apply when he applies for the extension of stay based on retirement permit.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Exactly! Thats what I said, extension. Thank you for confirming my post.

As for confirmation of income. Reliable reports I have received (down the pub -where else) do not support your assertion. Perhaps BKK immigration are just making life hard for your clients, thinking that if someone uses a lawyer for something so damned easy maybe they have something to hide. Just a thought.

...Perhaps... Just a thought.

Another thought: perhaps first-hand reports from people who after 1 November 2006 obtained an extension for retirement based on monthly income are more valuable than hearsay and idle speculation.

For the persons directly affected, this matter is far too serious to be dealt with a “perhaps” and with stories heard down at the pub. Let’s hear it directly from those who got their retirement extensions approved after 1 November 2006, and when you report kindly indicate also the immigration office you dealt with. Thank you!

---------------

Maestro

Exactly! Thats what I said, extension. Thank you for confirming my post.

I did not confirm your post. I said change. You left out several steps before he applies for the extension of stay based on retirement.

My exact quote was

As he will be doing a change from a extension of stay based on business to a "O" visa.

He is not doing a extension of stay based on retirement at first. He can't as he has a extension of stay based on business. He needs to hand in his work permit and then have 7 days to change the previous extension it to a "O" visa. Then in 90 days do a extension of stay based on retirement.

You said the money had to be in the bank for three months on the extension. Correct but not when he iis changing his visa. It only has to be in the bank for one day. Later when he does the extension, then it has to be in the bank for three months.

As for confirmation of income. Reliable reports I have received (down the pub -where else) do not support your assertion. Perhaps BKK immigration are just making life hard for your clients, thinking that if someone uses a lawyer for something so damned easy maybe they have something to hide. Just a thought.

From your posts in the last 24 hours, I would think you certainly have found "something so damned easy " has not been so easy at all.

I'm sure other TV members, can confirm other than ones down at the pub, where they needed to provide proof of income at Immigration at Bangkok.

Six weeks ago, different story. If you can prove it to the Embassy, then it's no problem anyway.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

"As for confirmation of income. Reliable reports I have received (down the pub -where else) do not support your assertion. Perhaps BKK immigration are just making life hard for your clients, thinking that if someone uses a lawyer for something so damned easy maybe they have something to hide. Just a thought."

I applied for and received my retirement visa in July this year, I had my proof of income notorized by the Thai Embassy in Hull and presented the papers to Immigration in Pattaya, they stated however that I needed a letter of confirmation from the British Embassy. I contacted the consul here and he confirmed this. I gave him my proof of pension and he provided me with a letter from the embassy which stated " Mr J (passport No 0000) has indicated he wishes to apply for a long stay visa in Thailand. He says he lives at No 000 Banglamung and there is nothing in my consular records to his detriment.

I have seen evidence he is in receipt of pension income worth (more than 65000 but actual pension was stated) on a regular monthly basis. Any assistanceyou can offer Mr C in his application for a long stay visa will be appreciated."

He told me to copy this and take both copies back to immigration also one of the staff at immigration told me to ensure I had 40,000 baht in my Thai bank and to bring the book plus copy of page with me which I did. When I prersented myself the next day the Officer looked at the letters from Embasy and kept the copy saying to me " you keep original for next year when you renew visa" The only hiccup was I had drawn about 5000 baht from the bank the previous night so the copy of the page and the book did not balance so he went and made a new copy of the page for me and everything went smoothly with no problems . Interesting point was when passed to the senior officer for approval she said " you have house in Pattaya? No I said I have company , she laughed and said same same !" Visa was ready for collection at 9am next morning, I attend immigration every 90 days to report my address (due again on wednesday) and it is a simple 5 minute process I do not have to leave the country or even the city!

So there you go this all from personal experience and not from "someone who knows someone etc"

I must add that as always sunbeltvisa are spot on with their advice.

pauleddy, I'm glad to see you expanded your online forum search to ThaiVisa. And you've just gotten lots of free, excellent advice from a law firm specializing in Thai immigration law!

As stated, once you have a retirement visa, you don't have to leave the country. You just notify the local Immigration Police of your current address every 90 days - quite easy, and free - and once a year, you renew/extend your retirement status.

Good luck with your retirement.

I applied for and received my retirement visa in July this year

Thanks for your report, John, but regrettably it helps neither side in this running argument between Nakhon1 and Sunbelt, which is about retirement extensions after October 2006. Just the same, it was nice to read about your positive experience with Pattaya immigration (usually only the problems get reported)

---------------

Maestro

Thanks guys...so many erudite responses, I am already a bit confused (but not too much, I hope) !

I am not changing from business visa, I am changing from Non Imm B (I am a teacher). Does this matter?

What about the timing? I have to give 2/3 months notice at work. Do I get everything ready say, 1 week before? Must I go to Immig on me first unemployed day, or B4?

Must i hand in my WP at the WP office, or just keep schtum?

I can get email printouts of my investment accounts and regular interest paid to me. Is that OK? Or should I get a letter sent from the UK? I may be able to do that, but may not be easy. There are two sources that I deal with.

Sounds like I don't need to get transfer done three months before, as I think I can prove 65k pm.

Cheers

PEd

:o Ah ok PB, thanks.

So I am converting from a B to a retirement visa? Or is it an extension of B based on retirement? Are there any glitches I should be wary of? Some may be covered in my questions above.

I am new to this, so all help appreciated. I did once meet a Brit. who had gone the retirement route...he said it was really easy to do. I had always thought it wd be tough.

Best, and thanks again to all.

Pauleddy

I am not changing from business visa, I am changing from Non Imm B (I am a teacher). Does this matter?

You have a extension of stay based on business ( if you have a work permit and only had to report to Immigration and not cross the border every 90 days) This extension could of been off any non immigrant visa to start with. But once you have it, you are stuck with it, till you turn in your work permit. Once you do turn in your work permit, you have 7 days to leave Thailand unless you can change it to another type visa. In your case you can.

What about the timing? I have to give 2/3 months notice at work. Do I get everything ready say, 1 week before? Must I go to Immig on me first unemployed day, or B4?

Your ducks must be lined up or you will be needing to leave Thailand in 7 days. This means resign only when you have the letter from the Embassy.

Must i hand in my WP at the WP office, or just keep schtum?

At the Labor Dept., they will give you a receipt. This is VERY important in order to change the extension of stay based on business to another visa.

I can get email printouts of my investment accounts and regular interest paid to me. Is that OK? Or should I get a letter sent from the UK? I may be able to do that, but may not be easy. There are two sources that I deal with.

Most all cases, if you can show regular interest paid from the investment account. This has been fine.

Sounds like I don't need to get transfer done three months before, as I think I can prove 65k pm.

Good. You would not have had a problem anyway as you were changing the visa.

So I am converting from a B to a retirement visa? Or is it an extension of B based on retirement? Are there any glitches I should be wary of? Some may be covered in my questions above.

At first you are changing to a "O" visa which stands for "other" Then you are doing a extension of stay based on retirement later. Some Immigration offices will allow it to happen that same day, the change and extension. Others will require you to come back in 90 days and do the extension of stay based on retirement.

I am new to this, so all help appreciated. I did once meet a Brit. who had gone the retirement route...he said it was really easy to do. I had always thought it wd be tough.

In some cases if you just have a "O" visa, it can be easy. When you are changing and with the different rules. It can get confusing.

pauleddy, I'm glad to see you expanded your online forum search to ThaiVisa. And you've just gotten lots of free, excellent advice from a law firm specializing in Thai immigration law!

Thank you PeaceBlondie for the very nice comments. Much appreciated. :o

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Yes, your advice sounds very good, and based on experience.

May I just cross my Is and dot my Ts?

The investment income (and pension) I get is not paid into a Thai bank...it continues to be paid into a UK bank, and I take cash from the wall here. Can I leave that stand? I do spend most or all of the cash here.

You advise resigning once I have the embassy letter. Is that letter good for 3 months? My notice period from job is 3 mths, and I am not sure if i can shorten this. I may need to ask u more about a logical timetable for all this.

Do I have a "grey area" of 7 days after I hand in the WP? So, I can hand in the WP and then wait a few days?

Finally, I would be interested to know what your firm would charge for handling this process from to A to Z

PEd

You would not have had a problem anyway as you were changing the visa.

At first you are changing to a "O" visa which stands for "other" Then you are doing a extension of stay based on retirement later. Some Immigration offices will allow it to happen that same day, the change and extension. Others will require you to come back in 90 days and do the extension of stay based on retirement.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Hi SB,

Does this also apply when changing from Tourist Visa to "O"? Reason I ask is that a month ago Greg confirmed to me in a PM that:

"So after November 15th there will effectively be no difference in the requirements for changing a Tourist Visa to an "O" or applying to extend the "O" for retirement. It appears that BOTH scenarios will require 800K to be in the bank for 3 months prior to application"

Am I to take it that a Tourist visa conversion to an "O" is treated differently from a "B" to an "O" or have the rules changed? (Or am I being dense?!!!)

Hi SB,

Does this also apply when changing from Tourist Visa to "O"? Reason I ask is that a month ago Greg confirmed to me in a PM that:

"So after November 15th there will effectively be no difference in the requirements for changing a Tourist Visa to an "O" or applying to extend the "O" for retirement. It appears that BOTH scenarios will require 800K to be in the bank for 3 months prior to application"

Am I to take it that a Tourist visa conversion to an "O" is treated differently from a "B" to an "O" or have the rules changed? (Or am I being dense?!!!)

Not all of the PM is listed but most likely in the pagaraph above the one you posted. Would of stated something like this...

On Nov 15th they are expecting a new Police Order announcement in refrence to a change of visa. This will corespond to the regulations of the extension of stay.

They did not come out with the new announcement. Everything is still the same as before Nov 15th because of the delay in reference to changing a visa either a tourist, tourist visa exemption, transit or a extension of stay based on business to a "O" ( If it was a "B" no need to change it to a "O", just do the extension of stay. Please note: A extension of stay based on business is not a "B" visa when it expires.... this would happens when you turn in your work permit and have a extension of stay. This is why you are given 7 days to leave)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Dear ladies, dear gentlemen,

may I, first of all, express my deep appreciation for all the extremely helpful information, which I have absorbed from the input of those many honorable members in various sections of this board. Especially, I would like to thank sunbeltasia, for being incredibly supportive by providing answers, which are, at all times, precise, effective and compact at the same instance. :D:D

I would be very glad to receive this forum's help regarding 3 questions around a NON-IMMIGRANT VISA - "Category O" RETIREMENT. :D

0.: Due to severe attacks of homesickness, experienced by my spouse, I am prepared to resettle to Thailand by Feb 24th, 2008 (11:35 a.m. take-off-time) Even though since several years I am happily married to my wonderful Thai wife, I prefer to apply for a "retirement-", instead of a "support/marriage-"visa (NO, we cannot imagine to separate within the next 9999 years :o -that is for political reasons) Thanks to TV-board, we are pretty much aware of the prerequisites.

Still, there are the following points, around which I would thankfully take benefit from your assembled competence and receive a a bit of clarification:

1. For the first year, we intend to experience as many geografical areas of Thailand as possible. And as Mae Hong Song and Trang do show a bit of a distance, we are planning to change appartments(/adresses) once a month.

........ once you have a retirement visa, you .... just notify the local Immigration Police of your current address every 90 days ....
QUESTION: If we do announce this ambition of continuous travel activity (and thus changing adresses) to the corresponding Immigration Police, - would this cause any trouble ? Of course, at a given reporting day (each 90 days) we will have a (short-term) permanent adress.

2. Due to business obligations which I - even in retirement - still do have towards former clients, I will have to travel to Europe/Africa/Japan at least twice a year on short notice. Therefore I do need a multiple-entry permit (MEP).

QUESTION: Is there any risk to NOT GET this MEP based on the actual rules? I am aware that I cannot "acquire a title" to receive a MEP, but... is there a certain probabality (>89,2 percent or such) to get that granted ? And, yep, ... I am aware that rules might/will keep changing in the future.

3. Due to the (at least for my very personal logic) foreseeable further decline of the US-$ over the upcoming years [NOT versus THB, but towards other "global" currencies], I intend to open an Euro-account at Kasikorn, worth >/= 800.000 THB. They agreed already, but ....

QUESTION: Does anybody have an indication if such an interest-focussed account may not at the same time serve as the "guarantee"-account for the Immigration administration ?

Thank you very much, in advance, for your kind help.

R.R.

P.s.: Apologies for my lousy English :D , - I'm a "Kraut", so English is not my mother tongue :D

Correct at least in BKK.

No

The "someone" was talking of someone who cannot meet the criteria for the extension of stay permit and has a one year multi entry visa obtained at a Embassy/ Consulate. With this type of visa, they must leave Thailand every 90 days to get a fresh 90 days at the Immigration check point.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I have a retirement [type o] multiple entry one year visa, issued by the Thai Consul in Vancouver, I was required to produce a letter from my pension provider indicating pension income in excess or 65,000 baht, a medical certificate and a letter from the local police certifying no criminal record. I was under the impression that I could come and go in Thailand for a year with the only restiction being reporting to immigration every 90 days with my adress.

I am now reading that I will need an extension of stay after 3 months for my 1 year visa????

Also 800k in the bank for at least 3 months as well? What was the proof of income for? Leave the country every 90 days unless I can qualify for an extension of stay? what are the requirements? Would some please explain.

Not all of the PM is listed but most likely in the pagaraph above the one you posted. Would of stated something like this...

On Nov 15th they are expecting a new Police Order announcement in refrence to a change of visa. This will corespond to the regulations of the extension of stay.

They did not come out with the new announcement. Everything is still the same as before Nov 15th because of the delay in reference to changing a visa either a tourist, tourist visa exemption, transit or a extension of stay based on business to a "O" ( If it was a "B" no need to change it to a "O", just do the extension of stay. Please note: A extension of stay based on business is not a "B" visa when it expires.... this would happens when you turn in your work permit and have a extension of stay. This is why you are given 7 days to leave)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Thank you (again) Lopburi3 and Sunbelt!

The PM implied pretty much what you said above

So, is the situation that, at this time, you do not need any money in the bank to convert a Tourist visa to an "O" but you do need to have 800K in the bank for 3 months to extend the "O" for retirement?

If this is not the situation, what is it please?? If this is the situation do you have a feeling for whether this is now going to remain the case? I'm travelling to Thailand in January and need to make my choice of Visa very soon!!!

It is all nationalities that they require the proof. This is been happening around 5 weeks in BKK.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

What is this "If Immigration also wish to see this credible evidence"?

I have a several years old certification from the Belgian embassy (which needed proof to obtain by showing a retirement income certificate written in local language) that I used again on November 22 to obtain a new retirement extension at Bangkok immigration, showing also letter of bank balance less than 800k and bankbook with money in/out over the last year, the last money transfer being less than 3 months old.

I don't think it would help if Immigration would want to see and read the belgian papers explaining my pension income, even in my local language you would not understand what they are talking about, luckily the people at the Belgiam embassy did, LOL

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

What is this "If Immigration also wish to see this credible evidence"?

I have a several years old certification from the Belgian embassy (which needed proof to obtain by showing a retirement income certificate written in local language) that I used again on November 22 to obtain a new retirement extension at Bangkok immigration, showing also letter of bank balance less than 800k and bankbook with money in/out over the last year, the last money transfer being less than 3 months old.

I don't think it would help if Immigration would want to see and read the belgian papers explaining my pension income, even in my local language you would not understand what they are talking about, luckily the people at the Belgiam embassy did, LOL

[siz

Correct at least in BKK. Correct. In Samui, the Immigration insist that you require a medical report at renewal. They say "it say so in the newspaper, but it is not correct" If you live in Samui and have your retirement Visa renewed elsewhere, they get very unhelpful if you have any problems and tell you to go back to where you had the Visa renewed.

No

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

So many replies, Hmmmm! My I suggest you log on to Thai Visa. com web site and see for yourself what the requirements are for a retirement visa. My friend made a request for info on a marriage visa, half the info the got was invalid or out of date. Hopefully the web site will be up to date. :o

...Perhaps... Just a thought.

Another thought: perhaps first-hand reports from people who after 1 November 2006 obtained an extension for retirement based on monthly income are more valuable than hearsay and idle speculation.

For the persons directly affected, this matter is far too serious to be dealt with a “perhaps” and with stories heard down at the pub. Let’s hear it directly from those who got their retirement extensions approved after 1 November 2006, and when you report kindly indicate also the immigration office you dealt with. Thank you!

---------------

Maestro

My Experience

I renewed my retirement visa several weeks ago in Mai Sai. November 24th to be exact. This is my 5th year and things were a little difficult this time around.

One official in particular questioned the money (1 million Baht) because it was in a term deposit savings account that happened to expire end of December. I had to plead my case by showing them the money trail and that it has been in Thailand for over five years. I told this officail that I renew the term deposit at the end of December. He was very focused on where this money was going to be after the visa was granted. At this point I brought my wife and 3 year old son (luuk kruung) into the office and this softened the atmosphere. I got my 1 year extension but it was surely a different experience than the last 4 years. Alot more scrutiny and questioning.

True. No medical certificate was required.

Same rule applies if you stay in the country for 90 consecutive days. You need to either appear at the Immigration office or send in a form reporting your address.