US Embassy questions security boost for its embassy, but draws strong criticism

rooster59

US Embassy questions security boost for its embassy, but draws strong criticism

32_US.jpg

BANGKOK:- The US Embassy in Bangkok has posted on its Facebook page questioning the security boost by Thai authorities for its embassy despite that there was no such threat.

The post reads ,”We note media reports that Thai authorities have taken additional security measures to protect the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. We are not aware of any threats to the Embassy and have asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to clarify what threats the Royal Thai Government perceives to Americans or American interests in Thailand.”

The post by the embassy on Facebook drew strong criticism from many viewers with some telling the embassy to check the news source from Thai authorities first for accuracy before posting.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/us-embassy-questions-security-boost-for-its-embassy-but-draws-strong-criticism/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-12

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The U.S. provides it's own security at the embassy via contract with a Thai security company....G4S Security Services I think has the current contract.  Of course there will be some U.S. Marines in the background if needed.    

How has Thailand increased security at the U.S. Embassy?   Maybe they have posted some police in front.  If so, that's probably not security for the embassy just the BIB setting up a traffic checkpoint to collect donations issue traffic tickets.

' The post by the embassy on Facebook drew strong criticism from many viewers with some telling the embassy to check the news source from Thai authorities first for accuracy before posting. '

Why should the US have to check newspaper reports to find out what is going on outside their own Embassy?

Surely the Thais would have the courtesy to keep the US Embassy informed as to what was going on if there was a problem?  Oh, wait, I remember where we are - in the land of 'I know so you must know' mentality.  They think we're all fortune tellers and mind-readers.  

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe proactive in the wake of the absurd election of President trump. 

true but would they not enough common sense to realize the protest is focused in the usa?

usa embassies should not not worry so much about adequate security now that benghazi hillary is out of the picture.

2 minutes ago, atyclb said:

true but would they not enough common sense to realize the protest is focused in the usa?

usa embassies should not not worry so much about adequate security now that benghazi hillary is out of the picture.

I don't really agree with you.  There is always a threat of terrorism against U.S. targets abroad, and given trump's disgusting and racist Islamophobia, Islamic Jihadist types may feel motivated to act in response to the election results. I get that the embassy is saying there  is no new specific threat (and if there is, they should definitely be informed about that), but there's always a non-specific threat. 

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, reptile91602 said:

I knew trump would effect us badly over here. But not so quickly. this is the end of the world.

Just in case one of you dummies think I am serious. This is a disclaimer and I am only joking.   Get it      Ha    ha    ha!

I am wondering what Americans abroad are doing now when meeting new non-Americans who are curious about what happened to the USA. Are you expressing your affiliation or resistance to trump or just letting them assume all Americans are acting like this is a normal thing, to have a nasty mouthed bombastic reality t.v. show demagogue with no experience gain the most power on earth. 

I'm posting this sincere question here in a topic about the U.S. embassy intentionally, because like it or not, accept the role or not, every single American abroad is in some small way an AMBASSADOR to our already great and now deeply troubled/divided nation. 

Our EMBASSY of course is the official office of our official ambassador. But again, when we're abroad we all represent our country to the world. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

' The post by the embassy on Facebook drew strong criticism from many viewers with some telling the embassy to check the news source from Thai authorities first for accuracy before posting. '

Why should the US have to check newspaper reports to find out what is going on outside their own Embassy?

Surely the Thais would have the courtesy to keep the US Embassy informed as to what was going on if there was a problem?  Oh, wait, I remember where we are - in the land of 'I know so you must know' mentality.  They think we're all fortune tellers and mind-readers.  

" They think we're all fortune tellers and mind-readers.   "

Apparently that's true in your case given how much you "know" about the situation. The mindless, pointless Thai bashing by the self-appointed pukka sahibs never ceases to amaze.

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I am wondering what Americans abroad are doing now when meeting new non-Americans who are curious about what happened to the USA. Are you expressing your affiliation or resistance to trump or just letting them assume all Americans are acting like this is a normal thing, to have a nasty mouthed bombastic reality t.v. show demagogue with no experience gain the most power on earth. 

I'm posting this sincere question here in a topic about the U.S. embassy intentionally, because like it or not, accept the role or not, every single American abroad is in some small way an AMBASSADOR to our already great and now deeply troubled/divided nation. 

Our EMBASSY of course is the official office of our official ambassador. But again, when we're abroad we all represent our country to the world. 

I am telling them the president elect got a bad rap from the press and he's our leader and Americans support their President after the election and to ignore the whiners and complainers they are never happy......

:)

10 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

I am telling them the president elect got a bad rap from the press and he's our leader and Americans support their President after the election and to ignore the whiners and complainers they are never happy......

:)

Thanks for sharing that. Of course, it's not the entire truth but it's an example of what I was talking about.

If after hearing other Americans responding to this issue differently, then they have the opportunity to learn something closer to the truth, that Americans are deeply divided on their reaction to trump taking power. 

I am going to expand on this issue now.

Americans abroad ... be clear at least SOME Americans are expressing their opinions about what has happened to the USA (trump) and what they are saying may be very different than what you would say. So if you say nothing, and a specific person only hears from one American, they might make the mistake of thinking that opinion is the true one.

So I'm concluding from this, as Americans abroad now we really should strongly consider expressing our views about to this to any non-Americans that appear to be curious or interested at all. Then they get a BALANCE. 

Edited by Jingthing

I had a funny encounter the other day with a Thai lady the other day. She asked me where I come from and I said but for some reason she didn't understand so then I  just said TRUMP! She burst out in recognition. In her case she already hated him for some reason but thinks his wife is super hot (can't argue with that). 

Maybe the Thai media is saying he will hurt the Thai economy ... not sure.

Edited by Jingthing

57 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I'm thinking that means right away.

I was just letting luckysilk know that he risks being added to JT`s ignore list, looks like I ended there, lol, I am aussie I vote and I except the outcome either way, suck it I say, life goes on

4 hours ago, Pib said:

The U.S. provides it's own security at the embassy via contract with a Thai security company....G4S Security Services I think has the current contract.  Of course there will be some U.S. Marines in the background if needed.    

How has Thailand increased security at the U.S. Embassy?   Maybe they have posted some police in front.  If so, that's probably not security for the embassy just the BIB setting up a traffic checkpoint to collect donations issue traffic tickets.

Out the front

1 minute ago, disambiguated said:

When asked, I reply that I voted for Trump.

Then they say, "You voted for Trump?!  You must be a racist!"

I reply, "I'm a sexist, too."

At that point, they don't know what to say, and leave me to my own devices.

I don't believe you, but nice try. I was looking for SINCERE feedback. This has just started and trump is going to do many outlandish things in the coming years, and this question is going to come up again and again. It was similar under W. Bush but  this will be on steroids. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

I don't believe you, but nice try. I was looking for SINCERE feedback. This has just started and trump is going to do many outlandish things in the coming years, and this question is going to come up again and again. It was similar under W. Bush but  this will be on steroids. 

Most of the guys here - young wife - old man- same as Trump.  It's people like you that give people the wrong impression. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

And I got banned for 24 hours because I misspelled Obama (on purpose)........JT, how do you get away with this kind of behavior?