Buying existing house and land.

Hi to everyone, we are buying an existing house and land which comes with a title deed (Chanote) for the land. I understand that when we purchase my Thai G/F's name goes on the title deed and she becomes the owner of the land.

I would like to know what rights do I have for the house only, can any sort of paperwork be done to give me part ownership of the house. I was told by a Thai that you can own 49% and she gets 51% ownership of the house. Is this true or not?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Get a 30 year lease on the house in your name

Pay for the property with two bank cashiers checks one for the land and one for the  improvements to the land which make up the total selling price and keep copies 

2m for land and 6m for buildings etc, making up the total selling price of 8m as a example

Make sure you are in a secure long term before you do it, a year is not long term, i was with my wife in a common law marriage for 5 years before i bought property and she had never been involved in bars etc and now we are legally married

On 11/12/2016 at 8:49 PM, bubba1 said:

Just put it all in her name and forget about it. Owning half of the building material is basically meaningless. 

On 11/12/2016 at 9:01 PM, kenk24 said:

Hi Mr. Dunro Amin.... Best advice is that if you can afford it, let it be a gift to your GF  - - that way you will be living w/a happy and more secure lady w/not much risk to you as a sale might be difficult anyway... good luck. 

Very noble thoughts ... but IMHO that's the silliest thing to do. Back in your home country, would you really buy a house for your girlfriend as a 100% outright gift with her name only on the Title Deed ? 

I expect most guys would say "no way ... not in this lifetime mate." It's a VERY VERY big gift, in anybodys language.

So why would you do it now just because you're in Thailand ?

Lets be harshly realistic here. Statistically, 50% of most relationships/marriages end badly. Thailand is no exception. The Chanote will be in DunRoamin's girlfriend name alone. If his relationship goes bad and bitter, she will evict him pronto from HER house. Why wouldn't she ? Whatever money DunRoamin put into the purchase of the house is gone ... dust.

DunRoamin, at least consider a Usufruct agreement between yourself and your girlfriend. This can be legally registered at your local Amphur, same time as you register your Chanote. There are endless websites discussing the value of Usufruct Agreements.

1 hour ago, electric said:

Very noble thoughts ... but IMHO that's the silliest thing to do. Back in your home country, would you really buy a house for your girlfriend as a 100% outright gift with her name only on the Title Deed ? 

I expect most guys would say "no way ... not in this lifetime mate." It's a VERY VERY big gift, in anybodys language.

Lets be harshly realistic here. Statistically, 50% of most relationships/marriages end badly. Thailand is no exception. The Chanote will be in DunRoamin's girlfriend name alone. If his relationship goes bad and bitter, she will evict him pronto from HER house. Why wouldn't she ? Whatever money DunRoamin put into the purchase of the house is gone ... dust.

DunRoamin, at least consider a Usufruct agreement between yourself and your girlfriend. This can be legally registered at your local Amphur, same time as you register your Chanote. There are endless websites discussing the value of Usufruct Agreements.

Well I did say if you could afford it. I did this for my wife here. And if we were to split up I would not feel badly about the house. At the time we built, it was quite inexpensive for a very nice house. My first wife back home ended up with a much more expensive house and I don't really feel bad about that either. Sorry but I will never feel badly about giving a gift, especially when it is a dream for someone who is a good kind person.

I understand that you are talking about a fictitious unknown person and I am talking about a specific person who l know and respect and am glad that I can help. And I have been living in this house for many years. 

21 hours ago, electric said:

Thanks I will look into this agreement here in TV forums. Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, ST11 said:

Buy house under your name and land under gf name. And register long term lease 30+30+30 for land under your name or buy land for company

It will be very difficult to split an existing house from the land it sits on. You will be extremely lucky to find a land office that will do this.

Owning a house is possible where you build the house yourself. Not so much when you buy an existing house (unless the house is moveable).

It should be noted that the maximum length of a residential lease in Thailand is 30 years. You can not register a lease at the land office for 30+30+30 years (90 years in total).

You can receive a contract that promises to grant a new lease with a term of 30 years, but that promise is made under contract law, rather than being a real property right.

Importantly, what this means is that if the land owner sells the property, the new land owner is not obliged in any way to honour your contract for the additional extensions of 30 years. Your first 30 years are safe. Anything else isn't.

On 12/13/2016 at 0:33 PM, ST11 said:

Phuket land office registered house under foreigner name and land under Thai company name. 

Same with us , except the wife owns land and i own improvements (house etc) in Phuket

No company involved and not needed