Letter from embassy for transfer of stamp from old to new passport really necessary?

I have had Thai stamps transferred from old to new passport at least six times over the years, both at immigration offices and when leaving the country at land border crossings; never have I been asked for the letter from the embassy certifying that a new passport was issued.The German embassy used to hand out this letter for free. Not anymore.They now want a whopping 25 € .

What are my chances of getting transfer at immigration offices or at Cambodian border without letter? Would they really refuse the transfer and send you back to embassy in Bangkok?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00UD using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Unless you are on an extension of stay there is no need to go to an immigration office. Immigration will do move your entry stamp from the old one to the new one and stamp you out of the country with it, A embassy letter should not be needed when leaving the country.

4 hours ago, New beginnings said:

Flew back from UK in September with both old and new passports.  Chiangmai immigration transferred stamps to new passport without need for embassy letter.  Suggest perhaps a phone call to your local office to confirm there requirements as I know they can differ from office to office.

There have been reports on here over time of Officer X in a particular office insisting on a letter but Officer Y not requiring it! And it would not surprise me in the slightest if the attitude of Officer Z in that particular officer depended on which side of the bed he or she got out of that morning!

In other words, better for the OP to err on the side of caution and obtain the letter, if he needs one (which, of course, he may not), even if it costs him a whopping 25 EUR. At least we Brits can be thankful that this letter is one (and probably the only) thing that our Embassy provides us, which is completely free of charge! :smile:

Phuket requires the embassy letter (or the replacement information printed in the new passport) when people want to transfer the extension of stay to the new passport and the new passport is not used yet.

If the new passport is used to get into the country and the entry stamp is in the new passport the letter is not required.

• Like 2

Explains Thai bureaucracy. 

If you travel into Thailand (visa free or with a visa from an overseas diplomatic Thai mission) its rubber stamping you in. Just say that your embassy refused to issue such a letter but here is their number and maybe Somchai calls them directly :smile:

Like my embassy which refused to legalize a complete set of photocopies of my passport on the grounds that I entered Thailand on said passport. I went back to the immigration and told them that the embassy refused to do it - man pen rai, file got processed without the legalized set of copies .... 

• Like 1

I got a new passport at Trendy British Passport service on behalf of British Embassy and they gave me  a preprinted letter from the British Consul addressed to Thai Immigration requesting that they transfer the stamps into my new passport. When I went to Thai Immigration Chaeng Watana Bangkok, the senior immigration officer had a dicky fit because the letter was the old letter and not the new letter which has to be individually signed and stamped and not a photocopy. In the end she allowed the transfer to go ahead and told me I had to get an original letter and come back with it later. The British Consul told me that new letter should have been issued the following week so ignore it, so I did and nothing was said when I went to renew my extension 2 months later.

The problem with the British Embassy is that they do not seem to want to handle any affirmations. I needed a letter confirming my address from the British Embassy last month as my driving licence was due to expire on 7th November. I went to the British Embassy website 3 weeks before it expired and the earliest appointment I could get was 30days! from booking the appointment. I can remember when it was same day service. So I had to go to Thai Immigration to get a letter and they said 3 weeks. In wonderful Thai logic, the embassy needed the address on the back of my expiring driving licence as proof of address.

12 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Did a border run with agency to Ban Laem last week,and asked the owner of agency how it is handled there,if next time I come with old and new passport,and he said that at Ban Laem they ask for the letter and immigration charges 250 Baht for transfer.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00UD using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Done mine in pattaya free of charge

• Like 1

On 11/13/2016 at 8:47 AM, OJAS said:

There have been reports on here over time of Officer X in a particular office insisting on a letter but Officer Y not requiring it! And it would not surprise me in the slightest if the attitude of Officer Z in that particular officer depended on which side of the bed he or she got out of that morning!

In other words, better for the OP to err on the side of caution and obtain the letter, if he needs one (which, of course, he may not), even if it costs him a whopping 25 EUR. At least we Brits can be thankful that this letter is one (and probably the only) thing that our Embassy provides us, which is completely free of charge! :smile:

Something from the British Embassy free of charge?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Did one this morning at Phitsanulok. No letter required and no pre-printed form either as they printed their own from the computer for me to sign. But they did require a signed copy of every page of the old passport as well as the main page, entry stamp and departure card from the new one.