New Entry Suggestion

Hi I am 43 and do not live by a thai embassy here in the states.......

I know i can fly in and have a 30 day visa.   I am wondering what my options are when i get there.....If i show disability income proof can i get a longer visa when i get there?  (what documents should i bring)......Im assuming here that i can apply for longer visas when i get there?

What are your suggestions......?

You cannot get a visa within the country unless you can qualify for an extension of stay. For example if you are 50 or over you could apply for a one year extension based upon retirement.

You would have to go to nearby embassy or consulate to apply for a visa.

You can do a mail application for a visa to the embassy in Washington DC or one of the official consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles.

You can also apply for a visa at one of the honorary consulates listed here. http://thaiembdc.org/royal-thai-honorary-consulates-general-in-the-u-s/

Age under 50, there are not many options. Nearly all approaches are either fairly short-term, quite inconvenient, or do not really fit what I believe is your situation.

First, even if traveling to a consulate is not convenient,  I suggest getting a single entry tourist visa by mail before coming (assuming you have time to do so). This is easy to do, and allows a 60-day stay that can be extended for a further 30 days without leaving the country.

If you are planning on spending several years in Thailand, you could look into the Thailand Elite program. Buying one of their packages is not cheap (certainly, not an impulse purchase for most of us) but does allow hassle free residence in Thailand.

Until you reach age 50 you're only long term option is membership of the Thailand Elite scheme which will cost you at least 500K, and give the possibility of staying a total of 5/6 years.

Otherwise you are limited to single or maybe multiple entry tourist visas. 

On 11/13/2016 at 8:17 AM, BritTim said:

First, even if traveling to a consulate is not convenient,  I suggest getting a single entry tourist visa by mail before coming (assuming you have time to do so). This is easy to do, and allows a 60-day stay that can be extended for a further 30 days without leaving the country.

All the more essential, I think, if the OP was otherwise planning to fly in to Thailand on a one-way ticket in anticipation of his passport being stamped for the standard 30 days upon arrival. An SETV should ensure that he is not denied boarding his flight when checking- in at his US departure airport in the absence of any flight booking out of Thailand within these 30 days.