Requirements at Phuket Immigration for Visa Renewal

Just a quick update on "this year's requirements." It seems to change with the direction of the wind. 

The newest requirement is that you have a photo of yourself standing in front of the numbered house sign of your residence. You do that by having someone take your photo standing there and put that on a page, print it, then sign it. You of course have to have your house papers in order. 

Also a copy of your credit card or bank book. However you get money into the country, in my case it's debit card. I'm an American and the only thing I needed was the US Embassy income letter and a debit card. 

You do have to wait till the next day to pickup your passport with the new visa stamp. 

This is an excellent retirement visa checklist of exactly what is needed: http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/retirementvisachecklist.pdf

Good luck. 

Unless you are setting up an Amity Company Americans have no special privileges in Thailand.

They are subject to the same rules as all other nationalities w.r.t. Extensions etc.

Pattaya Expats Club have long been a good source of up-to-date information on Extensions etc.

Edited by Evilbaz

8 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

Unless you are setting up an Amity Company Americans have no special privileges in Thailand.

They are subject to the same rules as all other nationalities w.r.t. Extensions etc.

Pattaya Expats Club have long been a good source of up-to-date information on Extensions etc.

I'm privileged in Thailand as an American...they like us best...err, better. :coffee1:

Just being able to hand over the embassy letter for proof, does everyone have that path? I don't have to prove anything. My Aussie friend next door has to prove he has money in the bank. I don't. Some nationalities get different treatment. 

16 minutes ago, Pinot said:

I'm privileged in Thailand as an American...they like us best...err, better. :coffee1:

Just being able to hand over the embassy letter for proof, does everyone have that path? I don't have to prove anything. My Aussie friend next door has to prove he has money in the bank. I don't. Some nationalities get different treatment. 

Be aware though that at anytime they could ask for proof. That could then prove interesting if you couldn't provide it. :coffee1:

I suspect that he was applying for an extension based on retirement.

It is indeed now (for several months) required to have a picture from yourself in front of your house with house number when applying for the extension.

This is not something special for Phuket only as many other immigration offices are also requesting the picture.

There are no changes to the other requirements.

When using an embassy income certification they can always ask for proof of the income as some embassies (USA) don't require any proof for this.

9 hours ago, Pinot said:

Yes they do have that path, if using the pension route. Obviously if using the 800k route everyone has to show it.

You are not special at all in the eyes of the Thais, your main benefit is that you do not have to prove income with your embassy, and that is the USA looking after its own citizens, nothing to do with the Thais.

• Like 1

I renewed my retirement visa extension at Phuket last month with none of this nonsense. Mind you, after we had registered our address a couple of years ago, Immigration officers came and took photos of us standing in front of the house so maybe that was sufficient.

10 hours ago, Farang99 said:

I renewed my retirement visa extension at Phuket last month with none of this nonsense. Mind you, after we had registered our address a couple of years ago, Immigration officers came and took photos of us standing in front of the house so maybe that was sufficient.

The photo in front of your home is a recent policy change. Required of everyone now, paperwork can not proceed without it. 

Picked up my passport today (next working day) and got a multi entry stamp and they were talking about needing it for that paperwork in that department as well. 

Just a heads up, you now need it. 

On 11/13/2016 at 1:48 PM, Evilbaz said:

Yes, but they vary widely from Province to Province. Of the things he listed, the only one I've ever had to show in Bangkok was a proof of income. And I've heard of other add ons in other provinces. House visits, 30 day waiting periods. I wouldn't have even known these requirements existed if I didn't read this forum and I've been here for quite a while, not a lot of retirement visa extensions.

• Like 1