Antibiotic abuse killing thousands in Thailand

webfact

13 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

My wife wanted to get antibiotics in while we were in Singapore cos of a sore throat.

She was refused and prescribed lozenges instead. 

She was confused.

Did you explain why to overcome her confusion.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Did you explain why to overcome her confusion.

The lozenges cost 20SGD which was 500THB. She complained it was too expensive n if it was Ya Thep (miraculous medicine) to cost so much.

Her sore throat was gone the next day. I told her to google online why and she did and so now she knows.

Just bring a child with cold, and tell the Doctor that your child is suffering from cold for 3 days, the super Doctor will immediately put the child on Anti-biotic and make sure they keep coming back to hospital again and again for same decease and that's how they build a customer base for the long term business and his commission will increase.

We used to keep the Anti-biotic for 3 more days until child is OK, and throw them away. Actually our body naturally produces antibody for any decease and the same virus will not attack the child again. This is basic science, and Thai's don't understand this and keep feeding the children anti-biotics and slowly killing them and they get serious health issues when they are grown up with out any natural immunity.

Doctors and hospitals are criminal nexus gangs for money. All they need is money from your insurance claims.

Taking 20-25 paracetamol tablets in one go has become a traditional way to  quietly neck yourself. That's all it takes with a drug freely available.  You can crush five and mix with water; leave the tasteless mix out in a dish for an annoying cat you target for quiet assassination.  Seems crazy to allow free access to such a potent poison, but possession of ganja gets you 10-20 years in weird, illogical values

Thanks for the information! Charming.

28 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Chickens get antibiotics en masse no wonder they have become useless to humans

When did Chickens become useless to Humans?

News to me and the 100's of millions of people eating chicken every week.

1 minute ago, Mangostin said:

Seancbk, i got the impression 3numbas was referring to the antibiotics, not the chickens....and it's not just poultry, all livestock are getting feed bad stuff that will come back around to bite us all back

Yes perhaps he was.   I do so love it when people write things which can be easily misconstrued.

7 hours ago, kunfish said:

Over-prescription of antibiotics, even when not needed, happens in the US. 

Kid gets a freaking bad cold and the doctor give a prescription for antibiotics.

This is not a Thai-specific issue.

Total nonsense, and this is your first post on this forum. Welcome Mr. Thai apologist.

BIG PHARMA LIVES here in Thailand like all countries. Thailand needs to declassify CANNABIS the natural medicine ( that is not available to use here because of the push for the war on drugs VIA criminal Richard Milhouse Nixon PUPPET of the U.N.  They need to take a look what is going down around the world. Cannibus is medicine. Big pharma is toxic death.

1 hour ago, brling said:

Total nonsense, and this is your first post on this forum. Welcome Mr. Thai apologist.

This Washington Post article states that 1 in 3 antibiotics issued in USA are not necessary; and yes, it even mentions them being given for colds.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/05/03/1-in-3-antibiotics-prescribed-in-u-s-are-unnecessary-major-study-finds/

Perhaps he isn't an apologist, just a bloke who reads newspapers?

Edited by elwood
I should have clicked for multi-quote

BIG PHARMA LIVES here in Thailand like all countries. Thailand needs to declassify CANNABIS the natural medicine ( that is not available to use here because of the push for the war on drugs VIA criminal Richard Milhouse Nixon PUPPET of the U.N.  They need to take a look what is going down around the world. Cannibus is medicine. Big pharma is toxic death.

Nixon died in 1994. Seems a bit silly to continue labeling him as the bogeyman.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

16 hours ago, balo said:

They just don't know and the doctors here  will supply you with antibiotics even if you don't need it. It's a shame whats going on in this country .  

'balo': 'Doctors' you write? Most Thais I know simply get their 'antibiotics' from some pharmacist (taking the tablets out of a large bag or some jar), and will only consult a MD when really bad, ...or too late).

The prescription, and delivery, of antibiotics without due cause is a major issue, no doubt, but, IMO, the way most Thais, even with a decent education, will not respect the prescription is about as large an issue: as soon as 'the symptoms' they (rightly or wrongly) got the antibiotics for start to disappear, or secundary effects of the medication appear, the patients will stop taking their medicine(s), which is the best way to create drug-resistance, I can't think of one Thai individual I have seen taking its full cycle of 5, or 10, days, ...not to mention forgotten daily doses! I would really like to see a national campaign about that! 

Edited by bangrak

13 hours ago, curtklay said:

Thais are pill happy; they think there is a pill for anything and everything.

A Thai doctor told me, "If I don't prescribe some pills, my patients think I'm a lousy doctor".

Part of the problem is also that antibiotics have to be taken as a course over a period of between eight and 14 days usually, but Thais don't bother with them once they feel better and just throw the rest away.

I was able to buy Norfloxacin myself when I was in Thailand for a few months back in 2011 and that's an antibiotic of last resort. It had been prescribed to me some years earlier and I'd been a little hesitant at taking it due to its serious adverse side effects at the time but it did the job. But when I asked a Thai pharmacist if I needed a prescription he said no and just handed it to me.

One other thing I've noticed in Thailand is that if you buy medication like antibiotics they always take the pills out of the original packet before handing them to you. I was a bit suspicious of it at the time and carefully scrutinized the strip the pills were packed in to find the expiry date. That was OK as it turned out, but I wondered why the pharmacist didn't want to give me the original packet.

10 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

200 baht for Paracetamol???? the ma and pa shop in our village will sell you 50 500gm tabs for 25 baht.Where do you live,Pattaya???

My local pharmacy sells 100 tablets for 35 or 40 thb. Real nice large clean pharmacy. The hospitals can charge what they want. I have refused paracet and antacids once in petburi hospital as they wanted to charge me 700 for them compared to less than 100 at my local parmacy. The woman at the counter insisted i needed them. I replied i still had plenty at home. My bill was updated accordingly and i left. 

The problem in LOS is people are kept ignorant. For profitsake. My local doctor has never prescribed me antis cuz he told me im more educated than thai people and know a lot about "things". But like a member posted already, the people also expect and like a nice big bag of pills. They also like to cough more than needed lol when sick and the males are always near dead if they have a slight cold ???????

Edited by Mook23
Typo

lets not forget that antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your gut also, and good friendly bacteria in the gut is very important for human health, its good for your immune system, food and nutrition absorption etc.. 

sadly I wasn't aware of this back in the summer when in Thailand, and took the antibiotics I was given, even though I was not even told I had a bacteria infection, my urine results was negative, same at the sex clinic, I got given antibiotics before my test results, and when the test results came back negative, they gave me more antibiotics because I still had the symptoms, at the time I was happy to take them, but now I'm stuffing Probiotics down me and eating fermented Sauerkraut trying to get my good gut bacteria back.

Edited by Bonobojt

Why do people think that the healthcare industry doesn't know what they are doing. 

They know exactly what works and what doesn't. They are not stupid. It is just that keeping people sick and killing them is big business. 

By the way the title says antibiotic abuse kills people. The article says multidrug resistant bacteria kills them.

So which one, pick one. 

Same with people who go through chemo. It's not cancer that kills them but the radiation. Their organs shut down. 

17 hours ago, Mangostin said:

During a routine check up, another of these hi-so professionals, said to me that we farangs, are to blame for these sickness, because before we came here, Thailand didn't had it........

At which point you should have just walked out, as he's clearly a poorly educated ignoramus. It wasn't Trump in disguise was it? 

23 hours ago, faraday said:

I take Amlodipine 10mg once a day.

When I measured my bp about 2 weeks ago & it was higher, I went to see a doc....

He told me to take the Amlodopine 3 times a day!

Don't know if he was just stupid or very stupid.

First buy a BP measurment instrument. Around 2.000 Baht. Second try a higher dosis. Possibly, if you not take the 10 mg dosis at all your BP would even be more high.

Third, just buy in Pharmacie a product with different ingridiencis and try that against Amlodipine. 

Measure 3, 4 times a day your BP. Been there done that.

On 11/14/2016 at 4:42 AM, jerojero said:

Not surprised. Wife's family used to take penicillin every time they caught a cold or sore throat, until I emphatically explained the difference between bacteria and viruses....and penicillin useless against viruses.

Not surprised... My sister in law swallows a couple of pills of amoxicillin every time she feels unwell. My wife used to take antibiotics after been in the rain... just in case... ya know? The problem is that because of some irresponsible people everyone is at risk. And it's not only a local problem but a global one. Bacteria don't know borders and have no nationality...

5 hours ago, BSJ said:

I've got a free shopping bag full of paracetamol and other crap prescribed but not taken for anyone who wants it!

If that includes Medicin against High BP can send to me.

I take and use the hughe leftovers from Thai Mama she gets every 2 month in local hospital. Good, no need to buy. ?

13 minutes ago, ALFREDO said:

First buy a BP measurment instrument. Around 2.000 Baht. Second try a higher dosis. Possibly, if you not take the 10 mg dosis at all your BP would even be more high.

Third, just buy in Pharmacie a product with different ingridiencis and try that against Amlodipine. 

Measure 3, 4 times a day your BP. Been there done that.

Ok, I'll try that,  thank you.:smile:

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

At which point you should have just walked out, as he's clearly a poorly educated ignoramus. It wasn't Trump in disguise was it? 

It depends on what you mean with "poorly educated", he could provide his master degree on request, but surely it will not making less xenophobe.

If i had walked away every time that i spotted this attitude, i would be on a perpetual motion, you got to deal with it, which doesn't mean to accept it.

I once even came across another doctor, which just confirmed what everybody already knows, basically i was explaining to him on how some other of his colleagues, refused to perform any checks and just prescribed more pills, at which point he just said "....yes but you know how many people are here in Thailand, they just don't like farangs...", i never even remotely suggested to him that the race had any parts in these problems, it was him to suggest it, now someone can keep to deny this for as long as they like, but unfortunately that's how things are, xenophobia it's simply a by-product of the ultra nationalism we see all around.