Trump names Priebus, Bannon to senior White House roles

webfact

Trump names Priebus, Bannon to senior White House roles

By LAURIE KELLMAN

WASHINGTON (AP) — President-elect Donald Trump named Republican Party chief Reince Priebus as White House chief of staff and conservative media owner Stephen Bannon as his top presidential strategist, two men who represent opposite ends of the unsettled GOP.

In bringing Priebus and Bannon into the White House, Trump is making overtures to both traditional Republican circles and the party's anti-establishment wing, which helped fuel the businessman's political rise.

Priebus has deep ties to GOP congressional leaders, particularly House Speaker Paul Ryan. Bannon previously ran the Breitbart website, which was fiercely critical of Republican leadership, including Ryan.

Bannon was notably given top billing in the press release announcing the appointments, a curious arrangement giving that White House chief of staff is typically considered the most powerful West Wing job.

Under Bannon's tenure, the Brietbart site pushed a nationalist, anti-establishment agenda and became one of the leading outlets of the so-called alt-right — a movement often associated with white supremacy and a defense of "Western values."

Neither Priebus nor Bannon bring significant policy experience to their new White House roles. Chiefs of staff in particular play a significant role in policy making, serving as a liaison to Cabinet agencies and deciding what information makes it to the president's desk. They're often one of the last people in the room with the president as major decisions are made.

Together with Vice President-elect Mike Pence, the triumvirate will lead Trump's transition to the White House and help guide his presidency, Trump said in a statement.

"I am thrilled to have my very successful team continue with me in leading our country," Trump said. He called Priebus and Bannon "highly qualified leaders who worked well together on our campaign and led us to a historic victory.

Priebus called the appointment "an honor" and predicted the billionaire "will be a great president for all Americans."

The appointments came after a day in which Trump's tough-talking plan to rein in illegal immigration showed signs Sunday of cracking, with the president-elect backing off his vow to build a solid wall along the southern U.S. border and Ryan rejecting any "deportation force" targeting people living in the country illegally.

After Trump told CBS' "60 Minutes" that his border wall might look more like a fence in spots, the combative billionaire took to Twitter to settle some scores.

During a four-hour spree, Trump savaged the New York Times and gloated about the GOP stalwarts lining up to congratulate him, bragging that staunch critics and GOP rivals John Kasich, Mitt Romney and Jeb Bush had sent attaboys. Former presidents George W. and George H.W. Bush also had sent their "best wishes on the win. Very nice!" The New York Times, Trump wrote to his 14 million followers, is "dishonest" and "highly inaccurate."

As Trump revenge-tweeted, threats flew between power brokers, and protests across the country continued.

The president-elect retreated from the campaign promise that had inspired his supporters to chant "Build the wall!" at Trump's massive campaign rallies.

Would he accept a fence in some spots on the border? In an interview to be aired Sunday, Trump told "60 Minutes": "For certain areas, I would, but certain areas, a wall is more appropriate. There could be some fencing."

Excerpts of the interview were released in advance.

Trump also had vowed to immediately deport all 11 million people living in the country illegally. But in the interview, he said he's focusing first on ousting or incarcerating 2 million to 3 million "that are criminals and have criminal records, gang members, drug dealers." Trump emphasized that securing the border is his very first immigration priority.

On that, Ryan agreed. But on CNN's "State of the Union," Ryan rejected the kind of "mass deportations" Trump had championed during the campaign.

"We are not planning on erecting a deportation force," Ryan said.

More tension emerged Sunday when Trump's campaign manager, Kellyanne Conway, said Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid should be careful in a "legal sense" about characterizing Trump as a sexual predator. When asked whether Trump was threatening to sue Reid, Conway said no.

But Adam Jentleson, Reid's deputy chief of staff, said Trump is "hiding behind his Twitter account and sending his staff on TV to threaten his critics."

___

Associated Press writers Julie Pace, Jonathan Lemire in New York and Jill Colvin contributed to this report.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-14

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, webfact said:

conservative media owner Stephen Bannon as his top presidential strategist

Oh my Lord! Talk about putting the fox in the henhouse! Looking forward to the arguments by Trumpeters as to the wisdom and justification for this one. If Bannon becomes a strategist for US policy the US really is lost. Gannon is no conservative he is a raving communist.

8 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

The left have cried wolf so many times that no one pays attention any more. Thanks Bill Marr for admitting it. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-maher-democrats-trump-romney-mccain-2016-11

You are being disingenuous again. Stop it ! That is not what Maher is saying. He clearly states in the video that we have no right putting people like Romney in the same category as Trump. In comparison Romney was a gentleman whom Mahar had huge political disagreements with, but now with Trump "this s*** is real"

“When the rhetoric used to describe Donald Trump and Mitt Romney is indistinguishable to all but the most tuned in, something has gone seriously wrong in the culture,” Cooke wrote.

What he (Cooke and Maher) are saying is that Trump is really really bad for the country, and Romney, "well he wouldn't have changed peoples lives that much". They used to say that George W Bush was the end of the world, Maher now admits he was wrong because he realises that Trump is 10 times worse.

Why would you try and pass this article off as some endorsement that Maher admits something that is laudatory to Republicans? Read the article (your article) and watch the video. You have posted them.

Maher admits that the left lied about Republican Presidential candidates over and over. I could care less that he is claiming different this time. It is very plain that the left lied their heads off once again.

have no doubt that you realize this. Please stop the dishonest spin.

Edited by Ulysses G.

10 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Maher admits that the left lied about Republican Presidential candidates over and over. I could care less that he is claiming different this time. It is very plain that the left lied their heads off once again.

Tell me where Maher admits they lied over and over. You are spinning so much your head is so dizzy you can't think straight.

Liberal comedian Bill Maher on Friday night said it was wrong for Democrats to have portrayed former Republicans as villains, explaining that they “cried wolf” when it wasn’t necessary.

The “Real Time” host contended Donald Trump, the current Republican presidential nominee, was truly dangerous for America, on the other hand. He lamented that liberals had previously described other Republicans in similar terms, a move he said weakened their ability to get individuals to heed their warnings this time around.

“I know liberals made a big mistake because we attacked your boy [President George W. Bush] like he was the end of the world,” Maher told panelist David Frum, a former speechwriter for Bush. “He wasn’t.”

Maher continued: “And Mitt Romney, we attacked that way. I gave Obama a million dollars, I was so afraid of Mitt Romney. Mitt Romney wouldn’t have changed my life that much, or yours. Or John McCain.”

“They were honorable men who we disagreed with. And we should have kept it that way. So we cried wolf. And that was wrong,” Maher said.

44 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

The left have cried wolf so many times that no one pays attention any more. Thanks Bill Marr for admitting it. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-maher-democrats-trump-romney-mccain-2016-11

I read this your first post again and realised how you have tried to completely derail and hijack a thread again. The thread is about Bannon and Priebus being appointed to senior positions in the White House staff.

26 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Tell me where Maher admits they lied over and over. You are spinning so much your head is so dizzy you can't think straight.

You just quoted him saying that they "cried Wolf" about McCain, Romney, Bushand other Republicans. Are you a native speaker of English? That means they LIED over and over again.

Bannon is a despicable individual, not fit to breathe the same air as most Americans.

Priebus? Yeah, that demonstrates just how serious Trump was when he said he "would drain the swamp" by getting rid of political insiders. You can't be much more of a political insider than chairman of the Republican party.

The site frequently boasts about knowing the pulse of its readers. News articles with evocative headlines, like “Paris Streets Turned into WARZONE by Violent Migrants,” are frequently followed by comments from readers about “the enemy within,” migrant “scum” and the “Jewish-controlled media.” Breitbart’s writers often vilify the Black Lives Matter movement, emphasizing what they say is a wave of “black-on-black crime.”

Too bad, the USA doesn't have laws like the netherlands and germany to lock  up      Hate Speech.  

but, it boogles the mind,  how  the  basketful  allows themselves  to  consider  lack  of  simple  decency     as   their  leader ,  

Edited by chubby
try to keep it cleaner

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Bannon is a major figure in the international alt right movement. White supremacist. Fascist. This pick is horrific.

I guess it is well possible to not be an actual  bigot, and support  Trump,  as  so many people  are  not bigots , whom do, however,   and despite  trumpster's record  of discrimination of "the blacks" as he calls them,  he may actually not  , but as mom used to say  it is  "what you do" as much as "what you say"

per Websters:  Bigot:

a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially :  one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Hate:

Full Definition of hate

1. 1a :  intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Bannon is a major figure in the international alt right movement. White supremacist. Fascist. This pick is horrific.

How on earth is Bannon going to get a security clearance sufficient to allow access to information that will be available at that level?

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No JT, Trump picking alt-right Bannon is to appease his base of mostly insecure/fear-driven, under-educated, white, ageing, mysoginist, xenophobes (same-same as his base on this forum displaying similar traits;)  Bannon is a perfect fit for Trump's base(ment) supporters. (would name them 'deplorables' but apparently that's totally unacceptable to the Non-PC alt-right ;;))

Edited by sujoop
format

No JT, Trump picking alt-right Bannon is to appease his base of mostly insecure/fear-driven, under-educated, white, ageing, mysoginist, xenophobes (same-same as his base on this forum displaying similar traits;)  Bannon is a perfect fit for Trump's base(ment) supporters. (would name them 'deplorables' but apparently that's totally unacceptable to the Non-PC alt-right ;;))

He picked him for a key role. Considering trump's brain is about childish mush that isn't consistent from one day to the next in essence the fascism of Bannon is in the drivers seat.

19 minutes ago, sujoop said:

No JT, Trump picking alt-right Bannon is to appease his base of mostly insecure/fear-driven, under-educated, white, ageing, mysoginist, xenophobes (same-same as his base on this forum displaying similar traits;) Bannon is a perfect fit for Trump's base(ment) supporters. (would name them 'deplorables' but apparently that's totally unacceptable to the Non-PC alt-right ;;))

So you are happy to describe 60 million Americans in those terms?  (Not to mention your insult to members of this forum).

And if you are going to talk about woman-hating, you might while you're at it learn to spell correctly the word that describes that particular failing of the 60 million (and TV contributors).

5 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Oh my Lord! Talk about putting the fox in the henhouse! Looking forward to the arguments by Trumpeters as to the wisdom and justification for this one. If Bannon becomes a strategist for US policy the US really is lost. Gannon is no conservative he is a raving communist.

At least he will get rid of the DEAD WOOD Politicians.

Who get paid to sit on their buts and do nothing.

This is ONE reason the people voted for him.

They have had a GUTFULL of Politicians.

Give the Donald a chance to see what he can and will do.

DON"T rubbish someone without seeing what they achieve.

The progressive Jewish perspective on what is happening. Accepting fascism in the white house as normal is not the way to resist it. Reading this you will see why the Bannon / Breitbart Pepe the Frog trolls of fascist hatred (now have gained massive power and influence in the upcoming trump regime) aggressively target Jewish journalists that say anything critical of trump with a wave of Nazi style social media attacks. trump is following Putin. So much is at risk including the freedom to criticize the "great" leader. Enjoy it while you can. 

http://org2.salsalabs.com/o/5149/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=23793

Jewish history has taught us that fascism arrives slowly, through the steady erosion of liberties. And we have learned that those who attack other minorities will eventually come to attack us. To our great dismay, we learned this truth again when, during this election campaign, anti-Semitism rose to the fore, along with racism, Islamophobia, xenophobia, misogyny, and homophobia.
We have inherited a Torah that concerns itself with the fate of humanity, and a sacred tradition that demands building a just society. We pledge to fight for the human rights of all of us. We stand in solidarity with all vulnerable populations, despite and because of fear for our own safety. We call on the entire Jewish community to stand with us in this struggle

Edited by Jingthing

Way to go boys you tied your tail to the right kite for now. Up up and away well for now anyways. As if streets were not crowded enough with cars now its demonstrators. You say well do they have no right to demonstrate they did not vote. Maybe they were the majority plus one that voted for Clinton.  Politics is such a dirty game. Each side trying to out do the other in setting up the playing field. 

7 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

2 hours ago, bridge2bridge said:

At least he will get rid of the DEAD WOOD Politicians.

Who get paid to sit on their buts and do nothing.

This is ONE reason the people voted for him.

They have had a GUTFULL of Politicians.

Give the Donald a chance to see what he can and will do.

DON"T rubbish someone without seeing what they achieve.

So your suggestion is to get rid of all politicians and replace them with right-wing, conspiracy theorists l like Bannon? And then "see what they achieve". That seems like a really well thought of plan......but uhhmm, how do you think Paul Ryan, Kevin McCarthy and Mitch McConnell will react if they are being kicked out of the House and Congress (and being replaced by Bannon and the likes)?

3 hours ago, blazes said:

So you are happy to describe 60 million Americans in those terms?  (Not to mention your insult to members of this forum).

Your post shows that it is YOU who thinks that 60million Americans are racists, xenophobes, islamophobes etc., while in actual fact that is a minority of the Trump voters. The majority of the the voters cant care less about Muslims or building a wall. They care about their jobs, and their income, and that is why they voted for Trump.

I am surprised to see that the forum members who are fiercely defending Trump are not defending him for the policies that attracted the people in the rust belt (jobs, healtcare, infrastructure, etc.), but rather his racist and xenophobic policies. What these members say is that they finally "dont need to be PC anymore".....while in actual fact they see the election of Trump (and more so the appointment of Bannon) as a way to "legitimize the use of swastikas". Even members of TV who are normally strong Israel supporters, suddenly support antisemitists. And sorry, but in my view racists, xenophobes, antisemitists, homophobes, etc. can never be insulted enough!

12 minutes ago, DriveByTrucker said:

Your post shows that it is YOU who thinks that 60million Americans are racists, xenophobes, islamophobes etc., while in actual fact that is a minority of the Trump voters. The majority of the the voters cant care less about Muslims or building a wall. They care about their jobs, and their income, and that is why they voted for Trump.

I am surprised to see that the forum members who are fiercely defending Trump are not defending him for the policies that attracted the people in the rust belt (jobs, healtcare, infrastructure, etc.), but rather his racist and xenophobic policies. What these members say is that they finally "dont need to be PC anymore".....while in actual fact they see the election of Trump (and more so the appointment of Bannon) as a way to "legitimize the use of swastikas". Even members of TV who are normally strong Israel supporters, suddenly support antisemitists. And sorry, but in my view racists, xenophobes, antisemitists, homophobes, etc. can never be insulted enough!

I dunno, mate, but you seem to have bitten off the wrong end of the stick as far as what I was saying.

I was condemning an earlier poster for basically suggesting that 60 million people (who voted for Trump) were racists etc etc.  

So, I seem to be on your side, but ...

31 minutes ago, LPCustom69 said:

It's amazing to see non Americans so worked up in this thread. Worry about your own countries, America has chosen.

When the president(-elect) of the US makes stupid or dangerous decisions, they can have an effect on every country of the world. So as soon as the US stops interfering in other countries' politics, no non-American will care what stupid decisions Americans make......

Its sad to see that you dont worry about your country (if you are a US citizen). I would be worried like hell if I was one of the 320million Americans, and I was made to believe to be living in the greatest country in the world, and I had to choose either Clinton or Trump to be my president!? I trust you do know that the US is the laughing stock of the world right now

It's amazing to see non Americans so worked up in this thread. Worry about your own countries, America has chosen.

I totally disagree. The tragic ascent of the man baby president does concern the entire planet. Climate issues, economy, war and peace, racism, nukes ... etc.

Bannon is a political genius. At Breitbart, faced with no factual arguments from his detractors other than to scream Racist! and Bigot! and consider their argument won, what does Bannon do? He brings on board Raheem Kassan. Brilliant! Watch him bring onto team Trump the likes of Ayaan Ali Hirsi. This is pure poetry in motion. After that it will be time for Trumps illogical haters to start searching for factual arguments, rather than rely on the tired old racist and bigot argument enders.