Perimeter wall building....

Putmak

Hello....

I am just looking for an idea of the cost of the "breeze blocks" size 40cm X 20cm to construct a perimeter wall around my land. Also the price of the 2mtr concrete posts. I am in the UK right now so it's a bit tricky to get the price....

Thanks in advance....

And even trickier for someone to guess where "my land" is located.  Those blocks are probably the cheapest way to go though so not sure how that information is going to help anything.  (?)  Whatever... prices can vary depending on region so suggest you post for that.

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

And even trickier for someone to guess where "my land" is located.  Those blocks are probably the cheapest way to go though so not sure how that information is going to help anything.  (?)  Whatever... prices can vary depending on region so suggest you post for that.

Location is Loei, sorry I didn't realise the price of blocks would vary that much between regions for "an idea" of cost. How is that information going to help anything ?....well given an idea of how much they and the posts cost I can work out a "budget"price for the job of course . ...

3 minutes ago, Putmak said:

Location is Loei, sorry I didn't realise the price of blocks would vary that much between regions for "an idea" of cost. How is that information going to help anything ?....well given an idea of how much they and the posts cost I can work out a "budget"price for the job of course . ...

I was pretty sure you would say that.  He he.  

Anyway... prices can vary depending on transportation costs.  It's been a while since I paid 3 baht/brick so hopefully someone with recent purchase can give you update.  Cheers.

2 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

I was pretty sure you would say that.  He he.  

Anyway... prices can vary depending on transportation costs.  It's been a while since I paid 3 baht/brick so hopefully someone with recent purchase can give you update.  Cheers.

Ok thanks for that...at least it gives me "an idea"...

But if someone does have a current price last paid it would be appreciated . ...

Cheers....

3 hours ago, Putmak said:

Ok thanks for that...at least it gives me "an idea"...

But if someone does have a current price last paid it would be appreciated . ...

Cheers....

5  baht  here  HUa Hin but 2m posts? what for?

5 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Edited by Putmak
Wrong post

Not all grey blocks are the same thickness. If you have a family member go to the local plant where they make the blocks and have them ask about optional thickness, and prices it will help you. Kannot is bringing up a very good point. You will have a much better fence if they build the posts on site and horizontal bottom beam and horizontal top beam on site. Steel matters. Size matters. Depth matters in fence posts. I will add that rounding the top of the fence horizontal beam will be very helpful when you seal and paint the fence. You might not paint both sides, but you should seal both sides. The rain can soak in from the unsealed side and ruin any paint you do on the inside. A rounded top will help deflect rain water from hurting any paint on your fence. Spacing of the posts that you make matters. Plenty of videos on line and articles. No shortage of poorly built fences that have fallen over due to shortcuts in construction and shortcuts on materials. I've attached a photo of a fence that failed for many reasons. 

fence failure for many reasons including no steel.jpg

3 minutes ago, David B in Thailand said:

Not all grey blocks are the same thickness. If you have a family member go to the local plant where they make the blocks and have them ask about optional thickness, and prices it will help you. Kannot is bringing up a very good point. You will have a much better fence if they build the posts on site and horizontal bottom beam and horizontal top beam on site. Steel matters. Size matters. Depth matters in fence posts. I will add that rounding the top of the fence horizontal beam will be very helpful when you seal and paint the fence. You might not paint both sides, but you should seal both sides. The rain can soak in from the unsealed side and ruin any paint you do on the inside. A rounded top will help deflect rain water from hurting any paint on your fence. Spacing of the posts that you make matters. Plenty of videos on line and articles. No shortage of poorly built fences that have fallen over due to shortcuts in construction and shortcuts on materials. I've attached a photo of a fence that failed for many reasons. 

fence failure for many reasons including no steel.jpg

As you diligently work on your "budget" you will begin to see how futile that can be in LOS.  As some have pointed out, a simple thing like a wall is not that simple.  You want posts with footers, you want concrete runners, you definitely want steel (rebar) and that's just for sitting on top of level ground.  If there's retaining needed, that's a whole different set of requirements.  You will get "quotes" that are per meter.  Avoid those like the plague.  You do need someone who knows what to do but just paying day rate is by far the best way to do it.  If you are stuck with family labor, then the cost will be 2-3 times higher than you could otherwise get it done.  If this is your initial construction project, you will learn a LOT.

Generally as a rule of thumb when it comes to buying blocks, the typical bog standard crap

50mm @5bt

60mm @6bt

70mm@7bt

the precast posts of approx 2m length with a pyrami-dick-all foot around 120-150bt, dirt cheap BUT be aware the rebar they use in them is probably only 3 or 4mm and used sparingly. add to that just a general piss wet concrete mix and you begin to understand why they are only 150bt.

Having said that if your wall is only 1.2-1.5m high then these posts are perfectly fine. in fact I will be building a wall myslef with pre cast as they are easier to work with.

If your wall is going to higher then its a good idea to tie your wall foundation in to the post foundation so the whole structure is acting as a single unit.

As for post centres, well 2.5/2.6m is a good start...so that each panel is exactly 6 blocks between posts. a block here is 390 x190.

16 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

As you diligently work on your "budget" you will begin to see how futile that can be in LOS.  As some have pointed out, a simple thing like a wall is not that simple.  You want posts with footers, you want concrete runners, you definitely want steel (rebar) and that's just for sitting on top of level ground.  If there's retaining needed, that's a whole different set of requirements.  You will get "quotes" that are per meter.  Avoid those like the plague.  You do need someone who knows what to do but just paying day rate is by far the best way to do it.  If you are stuck with family labor, then the cost will be 2-3 times higher than you could otherwise get it done.  If this is your initial construction project, you will learn a LOT.

....thanks for your reply once again...and good information too. My intended wall is as simple as a wall can be, however I do appreciate there are many other considerations and variables with construction, particularly in Thailand. The wall will be on flat level ground, no retaining needed. No family labour involved, as I want to get it built, if you know what I mean....ha ha.. I'm looking at 1.5 mtr high, with 2.5mtr pitch spacing of the posts, rendered and sealed of course. Complete with a manual sliding gate...usual construction, round metal tubular type....Cheers. ...

11 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Generally as a rule of thumb when it comes to buying blocks, the typical bog standard crap

50mm @5bt

60mm @6bt

70mm@7bt

the precast posts of approx 2m length with a pyrami-dick-all foot around 120-150bt, dirt cheap BUT be aware the rebar they use in them is probably only 3 or 4mm and used sparingly. add to that just a general piss wet concrete mix and you begin to understand why they are only 150bt.

Having said that if your wall is only 1.2-1.5m high then these posts are perfectly fine. in fact I will be building a wall myslef with pre cast as they are easier to work with.

If your wall is going to higher then its a good idea to tie your wall foundation in to the post foundation so the whole structure is acting as a single unit.

As for post centres, well 2.5/2.6m is a good start...so that each panel is exactly 6 blocks between posts. a block here is 390 x190.

Hello eyecatcher . ...spot on post, thanks very much. I'm looking at 1.5m high with 2.5m between posts so very standard dims. Flat level ground, no retaining of soil needed ...thanks once again...Cheers. 

On 11/15/2016 at 5:07 PM, upside said:

To support the wall every so many metres. 

2metre posts  arent  long  enough youll  want  at  least 25% of  that  underground preferably  more,  if u want 2  metres  high above ground anyway.

Most are cast on site in situ and blocks  infilled  or tuther way around for more strength.I  opted for precast panels and more than 1  metre  deep  footings on a 1metre pad

road stone (2).jpg

IMG-20130707-WA0000.jpg

10 minutes ago, kannot said:

2metre posts  arent  long  enough youll  want  at  least 25% of  that  underground preferably  more,  if u want 2  metres  high above ground anyway.

Most are cast on site in situ and blocks  infilled  or tuther way around for more strength.I  opted for precast panels and more than 1  metre  deep  footings on a 1metre pad

road stone (2).jpg

IMG-20130707-WA0000.jpg

Why quote me? I'm not getting any walls built.