Phuket Airport - latest changes, challenges, news

backstairs

Pimbo - maybe they should double the car park fee.  They are never going to build a staff car park.  NO profit in it.  ANd with current urban planning where can they go to build?  Sea on one side, runway on the other and the rapidly growth in private buildings on the other sides.   Double the parking fee.

1 hour ago, backstairs said:

Pimbo - maybe they should double the car park fee.  They are never going to build a staff car park.  NO profit in it.  ANd with current urban planning where can they go to build?  Sea on one side, runway on the other and the rapidly growth in private buildings on the other sides.   Double the parking fee.

Thanks a lot ... so you want 400 baht/day ? And what do the staff pay ?

On 11/28/2016 at 6:43 PM, backstairs said:

Psimbo - maybe they should double the car park fee.  They are never going to build a staff car park.  NO profit in it.  ANd with current urban planning where can they go to build?  Sea on one side, runway on the other and the rapidly growth in private buildings on the other sides.   Double the parking fee.

I doubt they are paying full rate anyway (just an assumption) but probably get some sort of concession rate. Cut that  and they would have to find other solutions, but we are getting off track. 

On 11/16/2016 at 8:51 PM, schlog said:
ALLOWANCE & RELIEF

The duty free allowance will be applied to accompanied personal effects up to Bath 10,000 worth if i) the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses; ii) the quantity are reasonable; and iii) the items are not subject to prohibition or restriction.

However, there are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free personal exemption as follows:

• 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or smoking tobacco; and
  • 1 litre of alcoholic beverages.

Personal effects do not include motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts regardless of the length of time used and owned.....

I fly in regularily with 10kg food, aminos, whey and some presents. Passed costums everytime but since the new terminal you need a good story in thai and some smiles to pass free of duty.

I came through customs last month with a light fitting and they made me pay 17% of what it was worth, i didnt have any recepts so she goggled it on her phone she even tried to smile and joke with me ( the nerve ) the are out to get everyone ....A never had any issues before with the old terminal

Im due to go home for Christmas and worried that they will charge me for my kids Christmas presents on my return

I must say, the new terminal building (international) impressed me. 
Very nice

Very modern. 
Lines were short. 
Baggage was ready and waiting when we got through immigration  ( 3 people in front of us )

If there was any holdup, it was customs with only 1 guy working (1 am).
There were about 15 in front of us, but line moved quickly. 

Then, all the Chinese turned right and the sign said: Taxi to the left, so we were the 1st ones to get a cab.

If I had a complaint it would be that we had to take the bus from the tarmac to the  building although I can understand there is no room to expand it enough for all the flights to come to the terminal building itself.  

Taxi driver was from AOT and very nice. 
Even stopped so we could get some  noodle soup on the way  home. 

Of course, within 15 minutes of our taxi ride home, we saw a motorbike accident in front of us. 
Bike and debris in middle of highway with no people in sight. 

Noticed 2 bikers without lights. 
Jeez people.  Get some sense.. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wanna park car for 5 days at PIA.  Domestic flight but prefer to park undercover by international.  Is it practical to park in the international parking and then walk over to the new domestic entrance to board for BKK flight. I have done it before but now with the new temporary domestic entrance and all the building fences; is it do-able?

16 hours ago, backstairs said:

Wanna park car for 5 days at PIA.  Domestic flight but prefer to park undercover by international.  Is it practical to park in the international parking and then walk over to the new domestic entrance to board for BKK flight. I have done it before but now with the new temporary domestic entrance and all the building fences; is it do-able?

It is easy doable. I did it also like the many staff. Follow the staff path.

• 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, illy said:

Any latest news on the overnight parking situation [ie :is there any]  and/or outside of airport parking facilities?

Domestic or International terminal parking ?   Last month I had no problem parking in the Domestic open air car park. Lot's of space. The multiple floor International car park is a lottery.

5 minutes ago, illy said:

international  parking [visa run of course] 

Well you might think about parking in the open air domestic car park at the far end that's closer to the International terminal and take the short walk.  Ooops I hope not too many people latch on to this idea and clog up the domestic car park. 

1 hour ago, illy said:

is that the "Old' car park ?  good idea.

Yes it's the 'old' car park but on the main road you have to drive past the old entrance and about 100m further go in the domestic terminal sign. It's all a bit confusing, the carpark is on the left side of the access road, it extends way back to the original way in. Park there.