Video: Child, 4, knocked down - woman lies to bystanders then flees the scene

webfact

42 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

Remember Folks , this is Thailand , Safety is a non starter for everything that walks, let alone a four year old child...

we we see it all the time, Adults just walking without looking...

and of course , here in Thailand it's all about MONEY....

sad for,the kid, but any normal parent would of taught his child about crossing the road..., or playing near the road..., never too young to learn...

Did you listen to everything your parents told you?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, DaveE13 said:

You are correct. Also the driver was probably worried about being attacked by bystanders for knocking down the lad.  We will more than likely read later she hands herself in.

People often say that. They're worried about being attacked. Funny how people never drive straight away to the nearest police station. Funny how they always have to be found or hand themselves in much later.

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

People often say that. They're worried about being attacked. Funny how people never drive straight away to the nearest police station. Funny how they always have to be found or hand themselves in much later.

Oh I agree but you know she will say that.  

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why blame the driver for the boys stupidity?

Parents are to blame for not teaching the boy about road safety.

OOPS sorry nobody here knows about road safety, it is an alien concept to Thais.

Poor woman.  It was apparently quite beyond her control but she still risked being beaten up by bystanders & family who might act without question.  Such behaviour is of course regularly endorsed by the lynch brigade on TVF who totally believe in mob justice.   Under the circumstances should she flee and go to the nearest Police station or should she stop and try to render help & risk getting beaten?  TIT!!!

2 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Daddy says if the driver had owned up straight away he wouldn't have asked for anything so does that mean he'll now be looking for compensation if the driver is traced ?

No words of distress or sense of loss at losing a child ?

He didn't lose the child, who is on temporary loan to a hospital.

Seriously, I hope the kid recovers soon!

19 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

I blame the he accident on diet.The child is clearly hypoactive,too much sugar.

Everyone gets too much sugar in their diet in Thailand.  Quite possibly a contributing cause to all the violence as well as all the diabetes.   BTW, we get your meaning but you really meant hyperactive!  "Hypoactive" means under-active, e.g. slow & lethargic.

Edited by The Deerhunter

So sad, hope he has a speedy,recovery!

Where are the Parents??  Why didn't they go with the boys?

Parents need to TEACH children to LOOK OUT for cars,

especially with the wreckless driving in Thailand.  Ever

heard of "LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING"!!  Parents

take care of your children....He is only 4...Brother is only 9!!!

Edited by little mary sunshine

so typical in LOS 99.9 % drives leave the scenes of accidents even if it appears that they should not accountable..or maybe they do not know the rules and believe that they will be chargesd hence the disappearing act .. so obviously they should not be driving not knowing the rules

2 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Yes, he deserves to be hit by a car? Pathetic. The driver needs to be caught quickly.

The child runs out from behind a parked car and gives the driver no chance to stop' about time they started to teach road safety to children, and not blame drivers when they have no chance to stop

As they say in Oz, children up to ten years of age should have their hands held by an adult when crossing a road. Here  I see parents leave their children as their walk right up to the edge of busy roads and show in concern, when I am distressed. Two issues in this video for the poor child, the hit run and bad parenting. However, in this country, neither will be addressed.

kids make mistakes all the time. watching him before the hit, it is clear he is excited with the rain and probably going some place with his brother ... normal ... healthy kid stuff. it is heartbreaking to see him run out into the rain and get hit by a car. but he ran into the middle of the road from behind a parked car. why? it does not matter now. 

the car hit a child and the driver knew it happened. then did not do the right thing and stop to help, regardless of culpability. the humane thing to do is to stop and help. this matters. if they lied about it, then this matters. 

as a parent, we know how kids are. their excitement and enthusiasm is what keeps the world turning, for christsake. sometimes, I think kids and dogs are the most spiritually whole embodiment of GOOD there is in the world. sometimes. they cannot control themselves with excitement. or sadness. they do not filter. innocent. 

If only there was some way to force the TV channels to show Road safety adverts. Children's ones in the day , adults ones in the evening.

Maybe a month of nothing but programming that would be beneficial to the people saving thousands of lives each year.

But where the money in teaching little Somchai from khorat to be able to stay safe?

Growing up in the UK I was bombarded with safety messages as a kid. Probably why it's such a safe country to grow up in. Not perfect but much safer than here.

3 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Parking a car on the sidewalk doesn't help.

Quite.  In the UK that driver would have been done by the police for parking there, accident or not, and if it was decided that the thoughtless parking contributed to the accident, then the owner would have been done for that too.  Probably get a far higher punishment too.  

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

Do you also agree that a good samaritan should not take the child to hospital as he will get blamed,especially if he is a farang?

In my homecounty you can expect jailtime for not helping ANY person in need in an emergency. I 100% subrscribe that.

I've told that to the most educated Thai i know (who work in the USA now btw) and they think it's a stupid law. They even think that the law in the USA is the same as in Europe which it isn't.

I think the owner of the car parked on the pavement deserves a hefty fine for blocking the sidewalk. He/she is responsible for the kid to run around his/her car. Even more since that car is probably from the owner of the candystore who should know that kids come to visit his shop.

Also i would blame the police for letting this owner park the car on the sidewalk.

The father is also guilty since a young wild kid like the victim should not be out on the streets unattended.

The cardriver is innocent in my opinion, she probably feared to be lynched by an angry mob which is also to blame on the lack of police. Where i come from nobody gets lynched for that and the police is ALWAYS called in case of an accident, so is the ambulance who will help anybody, with or without insurance. We even have a law that the ambulance has to be at the spot within a certain time, which is 7 minutes iirc. Welcome to the developed world.

To answer your question: I probably would have helped the boy but not brought him to the hospital since i might get the bill for that as being a farang in Thailand.

I've seen terrible accidents happen in Bangkok and i just drove away since there were plenty of Thai around who also saw it happening. The victims though even asked for this to happen by driving (racing) like freaking morons untill they flew (litterally) off the highway onto the frontroad into a pickuptruck.

I felt more for the owner of that pickuptruck and asked him is he was alright while he stepped out of his car.

The boys who flew into his car were totally covered in blood, somebody opened the door of their car and they fell out of it on the floor, unconscious. They didn't wear a seatbelt and had hit the windscreen with their heads.

I heard and saw them racing on the main road while they passed me (i was on the frontroad) and they were total idiots. But i see that every day and the police does nothing to stop it.

Edited by fruitman

32 minutes ago, simonuk said:

If only there was some way to force the TV channels to show Road safety adverts. Children's ones in the day , adults ones in the evening.

Maybe a month of nothing but programming that would be beneficial to the people saving thousands of lives each year.

But where the money in teaching little Somchai from khorat to be able to stay safe?

Growing up in the UK I was bombarded with safety messages as a kid. Probably why it's such a safe country to grow up in. Not perfect but much safer than here.

UK public information films are on YouTube. I play them to my wife and kids now & then and will play the clip in the OP to them this afternoon to drive this latest example of danger home.

Edited by evadgib

let's consider it from the other angle:

- the driver was not at fault in the accident

- the driver didn't know about the existence of perfect video proof of her innocence

- how does "knocked over a child with a SUV at 40 Kph sound"?

- what are the chances for the driver to get justice (i.e. no charges nor fines/damages at all) without this video?

unless the driver has her own proof in the form of a dashcam, I can understand her decision to bail out - I don't support it - but I can understand it.

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Yes, he deserves to be hit by a car? Pathetic. The driver needs to be caught quickly.

I think the driver had no time to realize and to stop the car. The unfortunate boy was running to the car and the driver could not even see the sheltered boy running out behind another car.

Another issue that the driver escaped instead of helping.

I would agree when someone made some questions to the parents, but this kind of parenting is almost natural here.

I wish the poor boy fast recovery

12 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

there is nothing at all in this report that said the child died, so why make things up.no child was "lost"

I got part of my typing screwed up and have admitted that. The only thing made up is your claim that it was deliberate.

I remember as a little boy my parents training me with road saftey...."Look to the left, look to the right, then look to the left again, if it's clear cross the road."

Also I remember when I was in primary school the police attended our school often, about 2 or 3 times a year, and held road safety lectures, showed us films and impressed good safety practices into us.

4 hours ago, trogers said:

Ran across the road, from behind a parked car...

His parents should be the ones being charged for poor parenting!

He is just a child and the parents aren't there only his brother, has nothing to do with

bad parenting, children sometimes do things without thinking even when the parents

are there.

"In the crown of bystanders was a woman who blamed a green vehicle for the accident".

I assume that the woman was speaking Thai.
In Thai language, the words for green and white are very similar and can be easily misunderstood in a situation like this.

"See kiaw" = green
"See kaw" = white