Greek protesters clash with police during Obama visit

webfact

Greek protesters clash with police during Obama visit

606x341_349691.jpg

ATHENS: -- Greek protesters and riot police have clashed in central Athens after anti-US rallies turned violent.

Petrol bombs were met with tear gas as rioters tried to break through police cordons to reach parliament buildings.

About 7,000 people, among then anti-war, anti-racism leftist groups, trade unionists and communist party supporters all expressed their anger at Washington.

“We consider American policy as murderous to the people. They are responsible for the outcome of the Arab Spring, for the wars since then, for the intervention in Syria. They only care for oil and don’t care about the people,” said one demonstrator.

The outbreak of violence came as President Obama was having dinner nearby with members of the Greek government.

Demonstrators were also at odds with Obama’s successor, Donald Trump, his pledge to build a wall on America’s southern border and his general stance over immigrants.

Obama’s visit comes just two days before the anniversary of a bloody 1973 student revolt that helped topple the 1967-1974 military junta which was backed by the US government.

Obama, who will be succeeded in January by Donald Trump, arrived in Greece on Tuesday on his last foreign tour as president of the United States.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-16

I have a Gteek friend who once owned a small Solar business in Crete.

He had a business installing Solar Hot Water heating and power Systems.

He had a contract to install a system in a tourist Hotel in Crete.

He employed 6 workers and himself once.  He needed a loan to finance this new installation startup costs.  He lost his business when the banks denied him a loan to finance the new contract installation.  Instead the installation went to a German firm

To put it mildly he is anti EU and the so-called  Greek "bailout".

Probably joined in the protests.

But that is old news now.

20 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Obama called for debt forgiveness for Greece to help it out of an economic morass.

Protests not too smart. Enjoy their bankrupt nation.

Well thats one way to look at it. Another could be that Germany threw bucketloads, shedloads, hangerloads of money at Greece over the years, it was so insane that even Greek bathroom attendants were driving round in brand new AMG Mercedes. 99% of civil servants did not even know what their job was supposed to be, also all driving around in brand new Porsches or BMWs. Of course this was fantastic for the DAX, the German politicians were invincible Uber rockstars but as always the merry-go-round eventually comes screeching to a halt. Something to do with one of Newton's theories apparently. Suddenly the Germans want the money back, with interest. Whats that all about said the Greeks, my new olympic sized jacuzzi hasn't finished being grouted yet? Enter Obama, the catalyst for this downturn primarily by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, as POTUS and "leader" of the free world, and the diversion of this free global money to his new faves. But, still his arrogance was untempered, and he lectured them like a big swinger Turns out it was an incendiary situation, quite literally. 

“We consider American policy as murderous to the people. They are responsible for the outcome of the Arab Spring, for the wars since then, for the intervention in Syria. They only care for oil and don’t care about the people,” said one demonstrator.

Wow......protester nailed it!

I spent some time working in our office in Greece during the latter part of the 90's.   Everyday there were protests, although not large protests.   I kept an eye on the local news and not much was happening that would bring people out for a protest, as near as I could tell.   One day at a local restaurant there was a group of protesters and they were clashing with the police.   The waiter said they were from the Communist Party, but had no idea what they were protesting about.   I asked how so many people have time to protest to which he replied that most people don't bother to work.  

At that time, protesting seemed like a sort of national pastime.  

Greece  the  country  of tourism, olives, and protesters.  Get to work  you lazy people!     I have Canadian friends from Greece and they  say  the attitude in Greece  of working and paying taxes  is why  they  have so many troubles. 

Geezer

Well thats one way to look at it. Another could be that Germany threw bucketloads, shedloads, hangerloads of money at Greece over the years, it was so insane that even Greek bathroom attendants were driving round in brand new AMG Mercedes. 99% of civil servants did not even know what their job was supposed to be, also all driving around in brand new Porsches or BMWs. Of course this was fantastic for the DAX, the German politicians were invincible Uber rockstars but as always the merry-go-round eventually comes screeching to a halt. Something to do with one of Newton's theories apparently. Suddenly the Germans want the money back, with interest. Whats that all about said the Greeks, my new olympic sized jacuzzi hasn't finished being grouted yet? Enter Obama, the catalyst for this downturn primarily by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, as POTUS and "leader" of the free world, and the diversion of this free global money to his new faves. But, still his arrogance was untempered, and he lectured them like a big swinger Turns out it was an incendiary situation, quite literally. 

Per head of population, Greece has quite a large military. A lot the money went back to Germany, to pay for military equipment. There was something on BBC World News a couple of weeks ago.

Sent from my SMART_4G_Speedy_5inch using Tapatalk