Patong Beach has lost Rock Hard's owner !

TheWizardofRnR

I know Robert Larry Biedenharden from Rock Hard in Patong beach for almost 30 years , since almost both of us got here !

I was drinking in Doolie's on my first Trip in '85 and after 5 years in Bangkok on Patpong Road , Larry as most Westerners knew him by and Thais called him Robert , the old Double R in Larry was never their best at pronouncing....I got a call from a friend that he heard a rumour that Larry had passed away in LA , in a Motor Bike accident. After calling his USA Phone with no luck ,I called his wife and left a message , they were divorcing but got a text next day said Larry had passed away. On Facebook , there were many people trying to find out if it was True ??? Sadly to say My Friend and Brother died last week in a Motorcycle accident in LA , one other thing was something about him driving into a Underpass??? Have no idea what that means but someone in BKK said he was telling them he might due just that. Larry has been renting Rock Hard for a few years now , Ira and I were both gone and Larry just visited Pattaya and we talked daily but never got to see each other before he left ,back to Legal Weed California to Celebrate.!! He was sad with his Divorce and his Father had passed a few years ago , and the pain from previous Bike Accidents had kept him popping all kinds of Pain Meds, to deal with the pains of getting into our later 60s dragged us down its hole ! Those of you that knew us all these years , could testify that Larry and I were among the true Party Animals managing a American owned Go-Go bar in Thailand. He was one of the Craziest friends I ever had and at times one of my Best and closest. The Pain , I can tell you , may had allot to do with it but we will never know if he just went for one last ride or it was just an accident caused by pills for Pain ! 

Some want to do a wake for him , so if we figure out where will post here or look on FB for more info at my Page William Sawyer or Big Bill Sawyer ! 

Hope this finds way to all his many friends and Customers from ROCK HARD PHUKET !

Larry , may you be gettin' High in a Good Place ! Big Bill Sawyer Friend , employee and Brother of the Heart  R i P !

Larry is survived by his son Alan in picture and daughter May from previous relationship before he married Oui or Wee , never sure how she spelled it ! 

Phuket has lost another of its legendary ex-pat characters !

Will try to find out info for anyone wishing to send condolences to Family , but take a toke and pass the Peace Pipe and blow ur smoke up to him , wherever he may be !

Larry and Alan.jpg

Rock_Hard.jpg

Sad news. Larry was a great friend. I first met him at Doolie's in Patong. It was my favorite bar. Larry, Brian, Ira and Greg were great hosts and good friends. Rest in peace, Larry, I will miss you. Thank you for some great times over the years.

I met Larry's parents, Robert and June, at Doolie's on their first visit to Phuket to see Larry's new enterprise.

Robert Matthew Biedenharn February 1, 1925 - March 26, 2015 Robert M. Biedenharn was a veteran of WWII and served in the European Theater of Operations as a Lieutenant in the Paratroops. He graduated from the University of Mississippi where he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon. In 1950, he married the late June Turnbow Biedenharn. Bob was co-founder of the Holiday Harbor marinas, located in Southern California. He is survived by his daughter, Kris; his son, Larry; four grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. Born in Vicksburg, Mississippi, his Southern drawl, Southern charm and sense of humor were lovable trademarks. He was a cherished friend whose presence will be missed each and every day. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/lbpresstelegram/obituary.aspx?n=robert-matthew-biedenharn&pid=174562767#sthash.rOStNaVd.dpuf

Actually , there were 2 Larry's @ Rock Hard but only Robert Larry was an owner . When we moved ROCK HARD a Go-Go downstairs Larry hired a couple who had opened a exclusive Piano Bar in some Condos , The Executive Lounge .....so many come and go over 30 years , hard to remember them all ! That failed ,  but we opened Rock Country upstairs , and it was run by Karen & Cowboy Larry . So , that did confuse many people , we did have 2....both are now passed over !Karen is a happy Camper living with her Husband in New Zealand , she is on FB , not often !

I don't remember Southern Comfort Guest House , but it opened  as CADILLAC MANSION as I remember but it may not have started that way .If IRA reads this , he can tell us more exactly , he ran it all those years !!

Actually IRA was the Man who got Rock Hard built 3 or 4 times for Larry !

rock-hard-a-go-go.jpg

Rock_2.jpg

Rock_Hard.jpg

20 hours ago, mackayae said:

No, just one. He and Brian started Doolie's in the early '80's. Rock Hard came later at the same location. He also started Southern Comfort guest house. He also had a bar in Clinton Plaza for a brief period.

Larrry was NOT around when Brian started Doolies,  '85 ( or the Raging Bull)

Larry brought Cadillac mansion years later and Ira /Boom ran it

I managed Doolies for a short while and a good night back than was 5,000 baht.  we would stand outside on soi bangla and watch people walk half way up the street, see nothing but darkness and turn around  :-)

I arrived in 85 and there was no Doolies. That didn't come along until 86.

Everyone went to Hard Rock Cafe run by Mac, when everywhere else closed.

Brian was running the Tequila bar at the front of Soi Ko Yoi (Crocodile) in 85.

Edited by KarenBravo

Absolutely sure.

Brian built and opened Doolies (with other people's money) in 86, maybe even early 87.

Mac had a choke hold on the after hours crowd in 85........all 30 to 40 of us.

Also, there was no Pizza available in Patong until the Pizza Factory opened at Doolies. The only Italian restaurant in Patong, run by a diminutive Thai lady on Bangla, called Babylon didn't make it (a killer lasagne, though). Can't remember what the name of the guy who ran it. He was from the US and the Pizza Factory became an overnight success.

On 11/23/2016 at 11:35 AM, KarenBravo said:

I arrived in 85 and there was no Doolies. That didn't come along until 86.

Everyone went to Hard Rock Cafe run by Mac, when everywhere else closed.

Brian was running the Tequila bar at the front of Soi Ko Yoi (Crocodile) in 85.

Doolies started out as a cocktail Bar upstairs and was a Pizza joint downstairs that was doing great , but Brian screwed the guy and he moved to Soi Patong Resort , he had a beautiful wife as I recall ! Doolies as with the Zoo and Bear was '86 but Dooley who Brian used his name cause people liked him but hated Brian , was running it for Brian but left after a little bit. Also met a USAF guy who invested he said with Brian , didn't meet Larry til 87 or 88 , for me personally ! Patong was incredible back then , no Whiskey Tangoes , only a few backpackers , allot of oil workers and not the greed as Bad as it got over the years ! Tuk_tuk drivers were friendly and reasonable ,

what a different story after 2000 !