Whats my best visa option?

I am over 50, plan to retire fulltime to Thailand soon.

I am married to a Thai, no kids, she has house in her name, I have Condo in my name.

I have a few million in Thai bank.

Plan to travel a bit, so need multi entry visa.

So, what's my best option for visa?

You first should get a single entry non-o visa from an embassy or consulate based upon marriage. Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage or retirement at an immigration office. Then you could get a multiple re-entry permit if you want to travel.

For an extension based upon marriage you would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

For an extension based upon retirement you would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

You could also get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage from an embassy or consulate that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date it is issued. You would have to leave the country every 90 days for new entry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hackjam said:

OK, so what paperwork should I take to embassy when applying for initial single entry non-o visa ?

You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, a copy of your wife's house book registry and ID card. Some locations may accept a copy of her Thai passport also.

7 hours ago, hackjam said:

OK, so what paperwork should I take to embassy when applying for initial single entry non-o visa ?

In case you don't have all the paper work with you, or can't be bothered, or aren't in your own country when you apply, what I did my first trip was get a Tourist Visa (allowing you 60 days I think), then sort it all out at Immigration once I got here.

They key is having the money in a Thai Bank Account in your name only for at least 2 months when you apply. For some reason they also won't let you apply if you came here on a 30 Day Visa Exempt at the Border. Not sure if this still applies as this was years ago already but it worked for me.   

Ubon Joe is correct.  My situation is the same as yours.  From the US, I applied for a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant Type O Visa on 8/28/16 to the Royal Thai Consulate General Los Angeles and received the visa in about 3 weeks by Priority Express mail.  I attached a copy of my cover letter, which indicates what is required, and a link to the LA Consulate General web site that states the requirements for obtaining a visa, if you need to apply to that location.

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=34

Cover letter to Royal Thai Consulate General LA.pdf

Not when you mail it, like I did.  I used Priority Express Mail to them and included another stamped envelope to mail it back to me by Priority Mail Express.  They stated a 2 week turnaround on their web site for mailed applications.  I've never gone in person to the Royal Thai Consulate General LA, so I don't know what the turnaround in that situation would be.

23 hours ago, Munotlaw said:

If your circumstances are real, no way to get any type if visa in Thailand.

Munotlaw

9 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Don't talk BS, he has multiple options.

He has multiple options, involving applying for an extension of stay (depending on which visa he used to enter the country). If he entered the country on a tourist visa (or visa exempt) given sufficient time, he can probably do a conversion to a non immigrant entry in order to apply for an extension of stay.

However, technically, it is correct to say that you do not get visas in Thailand. You get visas at consulates outside the country.

I am married to a Thai, no kids, she has house in her name, I have Condo in my name.

I dont speak BS, if you are married to a Thai, have a house and condo, millions in the bank, and you don't know about the visa requirements, than...........well, up to you to believe or not.

1 minute ago, Munotlaw said:

I dont speak BS, if you are married to a Thai, have a house and condo, millions in the bank, and you don't know about the visa requirements, than...........well, up to you to believe or not.

Probably an extension of stay based on retirement, paired with a multiple re-entry permit. However, a non immigrant O-A (long stay) visa might be better if you do not find the application too onerous. If you really like an easy life, and are not too concerned about the cost, consider the Thailand Elite PE visa. This means minimal contact with immigration. If you travel a lot, the airport meet and greet plus the limos are nice to have.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

He has multiple options, involving applying for an extension of stay (depending on which visa he used to enter the country). If he entered the country on a tourist visa (or visa exempt) given sufficient time, he can probably do a conversion to a non immigrant entry in order to apply for an extension of stay.

However, technically, it is correct to say that you do not get visas in Thailand. You get visas at consulates outside the country.

Technically you are correct but there was no mention of being in Thailand in original questions.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I changed a 30 exempt to a non I'm B visa at the BOI office in BKK, that visa was stamped used the same day and I got an extension of stay. So technically you can.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

I changed a 30 exempt to a non I'm B visa at the BOI office in BKK, that visa was stamped used the same day and I got an extension of stay. So technically you can.

I think you missed the step of a new 90 day entry stamp the visa allowed being done before the extension was done.

The one stop center might do the 90 day entry and the one year extension during the same visit but the majority of offices will not do it. You have to go back for the extension application during the 30 or 45 days for the 90 day entry.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you missed the step of a new 90 day entry stamp the visa allowed being done before the extension was done.

The one stop center might do the 90 day entry and the one year extension during the same visit but the majority of offices will not do it. You have to go back for the extension application during the 30 or 45 days for the 90 day entry.

Lawyer from work had my passport for about 2 weeks, then everything sorted

You have 2 options for long stay, married (can obtain employment) or retired (assuming you have no plan to work).

Both can be obtained by following the correct procedure once you are here on a visa of

any type of original qualification,  tourist, retired, or married.  It's simply different paths to the same

result.

As to if long stay is easier with a retired or married qualification, it comes down to the paperwork

and monetary requirements. I prefer the retired route.

Ubonjoe is one of the foremost experts on all of the options and implications, a great asset to the TV community.

Edited by expat_4_life