Clinton reflects on loss, urges backers to 'stay engaged'

webfact

Clinton reflects on loss, urges backers to 'stay engaged'

By LISA LERER

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Clinton reflected on her devastating defeat on Wednesday evening, acknowledging the difficulty of her loss for her supporters and urging them to persevere through the Donald Trump era.

In remarks that were equal parts pep talk and funeral dirge, Clinton encouraged her backers to "never, ever give up."

"I know this isn't easy. I know that over the past week a lot of people have asked themselves whether America is the country we thought it was," Clinton said at the annual gala of the Children's Defense Fund, the child advocacy organization where she started her legal career. "But please listen to me when I say this: America is worth it."

She added: "It's up to each and every one of us to keep working to make America better and stronger and fairer."

Clinton never cited the president-elect by name in her remarks, making only an oblique reference to the controversial policies that fueled his rise to the White House.

Instead, she focused on the future, asking her backers to "stay engaged on every level."

"We need you. America needs your energy," she said.

Clinton's surprising loss threw her party into a period of intense soul-searching, with an ascendant liberal wing blaming Clinton's campaign for failing to embrace a more populist economic message. In private calls with donors and Democratic officials, Clinton has largely attributed her defeat to the decision by the FBI to reexamine her use of a private server as secretary of state.

In her remarks, Clinton offered no accounting for any failures she may have made during her presidential campaign, though she admitted that the past week hasn't been easy.

"There have been a few times this past week when all I wanted to do was just to curl up with a good book or our dogs and never leave the house again," she ruefully admitted.

She chose friendly ground to make her first public appearance since her emotional concession speech in New York City last Wednesday. Her first job out of law school in the 1970s was for Children's Defense Fund founder Marian Wright Edelman. She later became a staff attorney and chairman of the group's board.

Throughout her campaign, she cited her work for the group as her "north star," sparking her interest in standing up against injustice toward children and families.

The group, which helps disadvantaged children, tried to return some of the affection on Wednesday night.

"We love her and we appreciate all the hard work she has done and say it's not going to be for naught," said Edelman, in her introductory remarks. "We're going to say that she is the people's president."

Still, in a sign of Clinton's new life as a private citizen, the event lacked many of the trappings of her presidential campaign. Security was light and she traveled with only a handful of aides.

Sprinkled throughout the small theater where she addressed donors and supporters were a handful of empty seats.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-11-17

19 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Blaming the FBI is a bit of a cop-out (although they certainly did not help).

I wonder if she truly understands the level of dislike that is directed towards her?

Will she run again next time?

Yesterday's presidential candidate still in denial. 

I doubt the Democrats would select her again. Particularly as she either doesn't understand or doesn't want to admit where it all went wrong.

30 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I wonder if she truly understands the level of dislike that is directed towards her?

There are a million and one reasons why the election turned out as it did and the FBI did play a role. I would guess she will not run again. She has done it twice and it is and excruciating exercise for anyone. Also she will be 73 the next time around. However, Bernie may still run and he'll be 79. As for the level of dislike for her, it was  very high it was for the most part carefully created. Not all but most. I'm not saying she was truly blameless though either. The Republicans have been throwing everything they can at her since her husband ran for president the first time which was many years before she actually ran for office herself. 

Hillary Makes First Appearance Since Concession: I “Never Wanted To Leave House Again”

screen-shot-2016-11-16-at-10-52-58-pm

She looks in serious depression.

A weary-looking Hillary Clinton said Wednesday evening at her first public appearance since she conceded to Donald Trump that she considered cancelling her speech to the children’s advocacy group but kept the commitment out of respect for her mentor.
‘I will admit coming here tonight wasn’t the easiest thing for me,’ she said at the Children’s Defense Fund’s gala in Washington, D.C.

The failed presidential candidate said ‘there have been a few times this past week when all I wanted to do is just to curl up with a good book or our dogs and never leave the house again.

http://www.weaselzippers.us/

6 hours ago, webfact said:

"never, ever give up."

Now get on the Soros bus and earn your 15 $/hour rioting !!

I hope Trump was holding back untill he is firmly in the white house , when he said he would not go after her . The clinton foundation cesspool should get investigated and prosecuted ( and the email thing , and the weird deaths , ...).

Where are the chants ... lock her up , lock her up ??

"curl up with a good book or the dogs ,and never leave the house again "  more than likley thats exactly what she would do in the case of a national emergency if she was elected .  straight from the horses mouth . 

2 minutes ago, FlorC said:

Now get on the Soros bus and earn your 15 $/hour rioting !!

I hope Trump was holding back untill he is firmly in the white house , when he said he would not go after her . The clinton foundation cesspool should get investigated and prosecuted ( and the email thing , and the weird deaths , ...).

Where are the chants ... lock her up , lock her up ??

Her crimes have not been shoved under the rug.  Trump's Justice Dept. is going to go after the Clinton Crime Family e.g. the "Foundation" to name just one area.

Stay tuned. :smile:

16 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Her crimes have not been shoved under the rug.  Trump's Justice Dept. is going to go after the Clinton Crime Family e.g. the "Foundation" to name just one area.

I doubt that very much. There is nothing to be gained by going after her. Maybe if Trump had lost, but he didn't.

If Hillary had of just  blamed Bernie for taking the socially integral, ethical and issued based high roads policy options leaving her with the vacuous, gender orientated, minority and populist alternatives I would have believed her sincerity expressing her regrets. Now i think its the dollars that might have been. 

43 minutes ago, optad said:

If Hillary had of just  blamed Bernie for taking the socially integral, ethical and issued based high roads policy options leaving her with the vacuous, gender orientated, minority and populist alternatives I would have believed her sincerity expressing her regrets. Now i think its the dollars that might have been. 

my hat is off to you sir , spot on .

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Yesterday's presidential candidate still in denial. 

I doubt the Democrats would select her again. Particularly as she either doesn't understand or doesn't want to admit where it all went wrong.

There is no doubt her political career is over. No question about that at all. 

48 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

There is no doubt her political career is over. No question about that at all. 

The Dem's have some serious marketing work ahead of them.  They need to find a positioning for their brand that both distinct from the GOP and appealing.  They feared to follow where Bernie was leading them but know beyond a shadow of a doubt that their current platform is deader than a dodo.  It's high stakes/high risk to make the change they must.  Then they need to find charismatic and credible leaders of this new platform that the entire party can get behind.  Of course they will do none of this.  They are politicians so out of their depth on matters such as this.  Plus those in the party today will cling to the past because it has worked for them personally ... party be damned.

5 hours ago, DoctorG said:

I think, now, she realizes how much people hate her.  What's there to like?  "...run again next time?"  I don't think so; her days are numbered.

5 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Cant do that after the pardon, Same with Nixon. Why do you think Nixon resigned instead of waiting to see who the next president would be.

I had to force myself to feel a little sympathy for Hilary in losing a second time around, particularly as she was so sure that she would win.  It must be really painful for her to realise that she lost against a candidate that she despised so much.  She should just consider how much more badly she would have been beaten by someone she considered a worthy opponent. It is all over Hilary.  I do not expect the Don to pusue any legal actions against her and think that he will let bygones be bygones.    

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I had to force myself to feel a little sympathy for Hilary in losing a second time around, particularly as she was so sure that she would win.  It must be really painful for her to realise that she lost against a candidate that she despised so much.  She should just consider how much more badly she would have been beaten by someone she considered a worthy opponent. It is all over Hilary.  I do not expect the Don to pusue any legal actions against her and think that he will let bygones be bygones.    

Donald may forgive her, but the FBI investigation into the foundation may bring some unpleasant surprises for the Clintons. Then there is Benghazi, and I expect the truth to be coming out about that.

I'm more interested in whether he will go ahead and sue the women that accused him of molestation.

Missing from her self serving statement was an acknowledgement that, had it not been for Obama & Loretta Lynch shackling Comey's original investigation, he would have played a much greater role....likely to the point that she wouldn't have been on the ballot at all on Nov 8

The Clintons Are ‘Being Wiped Off the Map In Democratic Politics’

On Wednesday’s “MTP Daily,” host Chuck Todd stated that it appears “Clintons are quietly being wiped off the map in Democratic politics,” and they’ve “kind of evaporated in the past week.”

Todd said that it’s as if Hillary “just disappeared. The Clintons, who, for better or worse have dominated much of the air supply in the Democratic Party for the past, oh, 30 years, have kind of evaporated in the past week. 

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/11/16/chuck-todd-the-clintons-being-wiped-off-the-map-in-democratic-politics/

Oh what a Wonderful World! :smile:

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy, oversize font reset to normal.

On 11/18/2016 at 7:34 AM, Boon Mee said:

The Clintons Are ‘Being Wiped Off the Map In Democratic Politics’

On Wednesday’s “MTP Daily,” host Chuck Todd stated that it appears “Clintons are quietly being wiped off the map in Democratic politics,” and they’ve “kind of evaporated in the past week.”

Todd said that it’s as if Hillary “just disappeared. The Clintons, who, for better or worse have dominated much of the air supply in the Democratic Party for the past, oh, 30 years, have kind of evaporated in the past week. 

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/11/16/chuck-todd-the-clintons-being-wiped-off-the-map-in-democratic-politics/

Oh what a Wonderful World! :smile:

Would anyone expect less? The question is whether she will try to stay in the public eye, or follow Bill onto the speaking circuit?

This should put an end to countries such as Saudi paying her vast sums for influence, as hopefully she has none left.