Chicken sandwiches at Bangkok's Siam Square contaminated with antibiotics, but not over allowable standard

webfact

Chicken sandwiches at Siam Square contaminated with antibiotics, but not over allowable standard

514_Subway.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Foundation for Consumers (FFC) says it has detected antibiotic residues in chicken sandwiches during its food inspection at Siam Square shopping centre.

FFC said officials tested 18 food items it collected from seven food shops at Siam Square during the food inspection.

It found that the chicken sandwiches obtained from Subway shop was contaminated with Doxycycline antibiotics at 13.73 micrograms per kilo.

However the contaminated residue was not above the Public Health Ministry’s official standard at 200 micrograms.

The food inspection this time was aimed at four types of antibiotics.

FCC chairperson associate professor Chanpen Wiwat said there are still several types of antibiotics used in animal agriculture which are not yet inspected.

She then called on relevant government agencies to standardly conduct persistent inspection of food contamination, and to seek cooperation from fast food operators to refrain from buying from suppliers of contaminated meat to prevent antibiotic resistance in humans.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chicken-sandwiches-at-siam-square-contaminated-with-antibiotics-but-not-over-allowable-standard/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-17

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mark123456 said:

Given that they found pesticides on a majority of organic vegetable produce in a recent test, I wouldn't be.

I'd rather eat organic vegetables than eat sick animals that need antibiotics just to live a short time for slaughter 

I'd rather eat neither if I had a choice. Vegetables contaminated with pesticide sound no more appealing than chicken with antibiotics. Incidentally, the antibiotics are normally used as a preventative measure: claiming they are sick animals being kept alive long enough to grow is overdramatising the actual facts.

2 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

I'd rather eat organic vegetables than eat sick animals that need antibiotics just to live a short time for slaughter 

Would you? Well, that's up to you but please don't attack people for eating meat. Some of the most self righteous arrogant people I have met just happened to be vegetarians too. I wonder if it was a coincidence?? 

1 minute ago, Mark123456 said:

I'd rather eat neither if I had a choice. Vegetables contaminated with pesticide sound no more appealing than chicken with antibiotics. Incidentally, the antibiotics are normally used as a preventative measure: claiming they are sick animals being kept alive long enough to grow is overdramatising the actual facts.

yeah I don't know the facts on animal agriculture in Thailand, how animals are treated and the conditions they are kept in etc.. but I doubt they are healthy animals, as for nutritional value, vegetables do contain lots of vitamins and minerals and antioxidants but meat doesn't have much to offer, so I'd rather eat the vegetables. 

4 minutes ago, claffey said:

Would you? Well, that's up to you but please don't attack people for eating meat. Some of the most self righteous arrogant people I have met just happened to be vegetarians too. I wonder if it was a coincidence?? 

I wasn't attacking him, simply was saying I'm happy to be vegetarian and wouldn't want to eat meat from a sick animal.

if I was attacking him then he was attacking me for eating vegetables with pesticides

I'll admit when I first went vegetarian or vegan, I did became one of those annoying vegans but now I'm laid back about it all, all my friends eat meat, its just the way it is in our society and life is too short to moan or complain about it all the time, I will eat with friends and they can if meat if they like, doesn't bother me.

59 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

So from the 7 checked shops the foreign run one is named while the other 6, which most probably tested identical but are Thai run, remain a secret.

"...the foreign run one is named..."

How do you know that the Subway franchise was run by a foreigner, it's much more likely, statistically, that it was Thai-run?

"...while the other 6...are Thai run..."

How do you know that the other six are Thai-run?

Just now, gdgbb said:

"...the foreign run one is named..."

How do you know that the Subway franchise was run by a foreigner, it's much more likely, statistically, that it was Thai-run?

"...while the other 6...are Thai run..."

How do you know that the other six are Thai-run?

Subway is a foreign based chain of fastfood restaurants.

Will that do it for you?

39 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

yeah I don't know the facts on animal agriculture in Thailand, how animals are treated and the conditions they are kept in etc.. but I doubt they are healthy animals, as for nutritional value, vegetables do contain lots of vitamins and minerals and antioxidants but meat doesn't have much to offer, so I'd rather eat the vegetables. 

"...as for nutritional value, vegetables do contain lots of vitamins and minerals and antioxidants but meat doesn't have much to offer..."

Meat doesn't have much nutritional value?  Since when?  Vitamins, minerals and antioxidants in vegetables have nutritional value?  Oh, sorry, I overlooked your first few words, "yeah I don't know the facts", that would explain it.

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I know a few Thai doctors here who won't allow their children to eat chicken, stating that the chickens are full of chemicals. One has said "that it could make her daughter start menstruation earlier, than it should.

These are not my words so don't shoot the messenger.:smile:

The doctor is concerned about growth hormones in chicken. And such hormones also give male teens larger breasts...

1 hour ago, webfact said:

However the contaminated residue was not above the Public Health Ministry’s official standard at 200 micrograms.

So 200 micrograms of stuff that should not be found in food at all is OK?

Now add the other tolerated contaminations like lead, formaldehyde, pesticides, carbon monoxide, mono-sodium glutamate, a dash of Baygon etc. and you get a cocktail of toxins instead of what you asked for. However, it sure is a good strategy to counter fight an aging population.

3 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

Subway is a foreign based chain of fastfood restaurants.

Will that do it for you?

No, it won't do it.  I understand Subway's business model, but how do you know that the Subway franchise that was subject to testing was not run by a Thai?   You're the one who stated that it was foreign run [sic].

"...chicken sandwiches obtained from Subway shop was contaminated with Doxycycline antibiotics at 13.73 micrograms per kilo.

However the contaminated residue was not above the Public Health Ministry’s official standard at 200 micrograms."

Less than 7% of the permitted level was found, so this is a complete non-story.

I see, so only the webmasters of this forum are allowed to name and shame....Well it's a Thailand based forum so that tells it all i guess.

I wished they checked all chicken restaurants in BKK, was in a new mall last week and noticed about 5 new chickenrestaurants (chains i guess) i had never heard of before. Eating chicken is in fashion lately, i wished somebody opened up a fishfillet restaurant, fish and chips with salad...