Thai police arrest international Aussie fugitive in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

19 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Then it's easy to fool most of the Thai. It makes a huge difference how they treat you, try it yourself! Buy the most expensive blouse you can find (or lookalike, they can't see the price only how it looks on you), wear nice pants/shoes and they'll even open the doors for you while waiing..serious.

You can even buy some (fake) big golden jewelry or (copy) watches to top it off...and a nice haircut of course. Keep your cellphone in the hand (put a cover around it if it's a cheapo). Some fake medals from the market on the blouse also help.

I have one black blouse which looks very expensive but isn't and it always amazes me how the treat me when i wear it. ALL the Thai, they won't even come close to me.

A 'blouse' <deleted>???

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, fruitman said:

And he got it! That's the power of being dressed well, makes a world of difference in Thailand.

it works both ways. dress down (cheap plastic open shoes and some holes in the t shirt and avoid many business ladies solicitations at the disco when you just want to chill and enjoy the live music.

28 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

That guy has been in Bangkok since at least 2011 except for his vacation in Cambodia. He is well known in the Soi 22 and queen park bar area. Big time Con-Man.

From the OP it seems that the Australians said he had been living in Cambodia and entered Thailand recently after serving a year in a Cambodian prison;

The Australian authorities knew that he had been living in Cambodia.

He was arrested there last year and released a few weeks ago.

He arrived in Thailand at the beginning of this month 

32 minutes ago, atyclb said:

it works both ways. dress down (cheap plastic open shoes and some holes in the t shirt and avoid many business ladies solicitations at the disco when you just want to chill and enjoy the live music.

Exactly, cheap plastic slippers or expensive leather ones make a world of difference too.

But latest fashion is those jeans full of rips and holes who are very expensive.

14 hours ago, fruitman said:

And he got it! That's the power of being dressed well, makes a world of difference in Thailand.

If your going to be a classy thief dress well number one requirement. We had a crooked investment dealer here in Chiang Mai stole a bundle always dressed well. Now in England enjoying the fruits of his fraud. We were told not to mention his name that he might sue us. Strange world. 

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Then it's easy to fool most of the Thai. It makes a huge difference how they treat you, try it yourself! Buy the most expensive blouse you can find (or lookalike, they can't see the price only how it looks on you), wear nice pants/shoes and they'll even open the doors for you while waiing..serious.

You can even buy some (fake) big golden jewelry or (copy) watches to top it off...and a nice haircut of course. Keep your cellphone in the hand (put a cover around it if it's a cheapo). Some fake medals from the market on the blouse also help.

I have one black blouse which looks very expensive but isn't and it always amazes me how the treat me when i wear it. ALL the Thai, they won't even come close to me.

Same in many places, not just Thailand. Like it or not, appearances make a difference.

25 minutes ago, fruitman said:

But latest fashion is those jeans full of rips and holes who are very expensive.

I do keep meaning to stop one of those fashionistas, to find out how expensive it is to buy jeans ripped from ankle to thigh ( as I saw a girl wearing on the plane from Perth to Phuket, a couple of weeks back.... seated I could see from her ankle to her butt)

could be a good investment opportunity

27 minutes ago, MrJohnson said:

Same in many places, not just Thailand. Like it or not, appearances make a difference.

Back in the bad old days, they wouldn't let you into the "new" singapore, unless neatly groomed and attired... but things change

i travel well dressed, these days, for the simple fact that a well dressed individual is more likely to get an upgrade, than a not so well dressed individual.... immigration has nothing to do with it, or so it seems.

3 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Assumptions can be wrong.

Very true.... and why they say it makes "an ass out of u and me"

but then.... who wants to draw attention to themselves at an international airport, in this day and age, where physical rectal examinations can be performed?

i prefer the term... dress wisely... it may be more appropriate.

Edited by farcanell

9 minutes ago, visarunner said:

Every Thai person that was convicted will be blacklisted so they can never hold a passport.

I'd have thought from the home country's perspective you give the convict a passport and a one-way ticket to somewhere else and then, once they've left, cancel their passport so they will find it very difficult to return. They then become Someone Else's Problem. It's much cheaper than locking them up.

4 hours ago, simonuk said:

People claim the BiB are useless , lazy and corrupt. The say the politicians are self serving and selfish. They constantly slate thais for being inefficient and bad at their jobs.  They complain that the internet is slow and unreliable , that nothing works as it should . 

Then they ask how an experienced , connected career criminal could cross a border between two developing nations.

Go to almost any point along the Mekong or the boarder with Laos or  Myanmar and watch how immigrant workers cross  as they please with no checks. 

I suspect 500baht and a simple story about a lost passport would be enough to get a boat ride across during the night whilst everyone elese is sleeping.

mekong is essy just walk over or with a little boat no worrys at all or swimm if u are fit....

4 hours ago, bander said:

At least five BIB officers in the room and no pointing fingers.....Disappointing :-)

Thats cuz he's old and according to superior thai customs should be treated with utmost respect. HIM PEE!

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes if I am going to be defrauded I would rather have a well dressed thief do it than a down and outer. I do have a reputation to uphold. 

I'm not saying it is right. It is just the way it is and not exclusive to Thailand

Just now, MrJohnson said:

I'm not saying it is right. It is just the way it is and not exclusive to Thailand

I am just saying your to serious it was a ha ha. Let down your guard and work on the smile muscles. We are here to have fun. We are expats holing up here hoping like hell our government does not run financially dry and we keep getting our small stipend for services rendered over the years. We are the creme de la creme the last of our breed. The generations to come will go no where like we were lucky enough to do and they will have to work till they drop. Just my opinion through the looking glass of life as it is presently unfolding. Smile:clap2::partytime2:

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

I am just saying your to serious it was a ha ha. Let down your guard and work on the smile muscles. We are here to have fun. We are expats holing up here hoping like hell our government does not run financially dry and we keep getting our small stipend for services rendered over the years. We are the creme de la creme the last of our breed. The generations to come will go no where like we were lucky enough to do and they will have to work till they drop. Just my opinion through the looking glass of life as it is presently unfolding. Smile:clap2::partytime2:

That might be your reality Sunshine. Not mine. I was merely clarifying my statement so as not to be mis-understood. Good luck with that looking glass. 

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

As I said, only impresses those easily fooled.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

Exactly, cheap plastic slippers or expensive leather ones make a world of difference too.

the expensive jeans holes are well done and symmetric. not my t shirt with random holes

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

I have been hearing rumors that Australians may be expected to work till 70.... so that looking glass thingy of yours might actually work..... sometimes

2 hours ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I'd have thought from the home country's perspective you give the convict a passport and a one-way ticket to somewhere else and then, once they've left, cancel their passport so they will find it very difficult to return. They then become Someone Else's Problem. It's much cheaper than locking them up.

I think that's what the Brits did with convicts, a couple of hundred years ago.... we might be late... but hey :partytime2: