Thai Govt's vigorous law enforcement makes Thailand go up to Tier 2

webfact

Govt's vigorous law enforcement makes Thailand go up to Tier 2

BANGKOK, 18 November 2016 (NNT) - Former spokesman of the Command Center for Combating Illegal Fishing Admiral Chumpol Lumpikanon has said Thailand has been upgraded from Tier 3 to Tier 2 mainly due to the government’s policy to enforce the laws vigorously. 

During his special lecture on the Thai armed forces’ role in tackling illegal fishing, Admiral Chumpol said problems related to alien workers in Thailand were caused by a lack of integration between government units and inefficient law enforcement. These resulted in the coming of illegal and unpermitted alien workers in the country, especially those in the fishery sector, said Admiral Chumpol. 

The former spokesman stressed that human trafficking affected the country’s trade security and investment. He also pointed out that compulsory registration of fishery workers working in fishing vessels and at seafood plants would help prevent illegal employment of alien workers. 

The compulsory registration was an important reason the U.S. upgraded Thailand to Tier 2 from Tier 3 or the countries that were making significant efforts to combat human trafficking, said the former spokesman.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-11-18

This is not quite  100% correct. See link below.

Thailand has not been upgraded to 'tier 2', but has been upgraded to the 'tier 2 'watchlist'. A distinct step below.

It now straddling some pretty illustrious company on the bottom of the barrel [tier 3] in the interim position between the two tiers.  It is a possible improvement but not the time to be self congratulatory as they are sitting in the proverbial spotlight. 

https://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/2016/258696.htm

Edited by optad

did I read "law enforcement" ?

wouldn't it be great if the whole Thai economy was dependent on enforcement of all laws instead of - we won't buy your fish unless you stop the slavery

money money money

I honestly don't believe there is a word in Thai that means "standard" or "Standards" or for that matter "enforcement"

Maybe that is the simple explanation as to why no such a thing exists

1 hour ago, optad said:

Thailand has not been upgraded to 'tier 2', but has been upgraded to the 'tier 2 'watchlist'. A distinct step below.

It now straddling some pretty illustrious company on the bottom of the barrel [tier 3] in the interim position between the two tiers.  It is a possible improvement but not the time to be self congratulatory as they are sitting in the proverbial spotlight. 

The actual facts as opposed to the Gospel According to Thailand.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

did I read "law enforcement" ?

wouldn't it be great if the whole Thai economy was dependent on enforcement of all laws instead of - we won't buy your fish unless you stop the slavery

money money money

I honestly don't believe there is a word in Thai that means "standard" or "Standards" or for that matter "enforcement"

Maybe that is the simple explanation as to why no such a thing exists

Wouldn't it be great if foreigners that moved to live in a country actually learned the language.

" Fishing Admiral Chumpol Lumpikanon has said Thailand has been upgraded "

I can guess what a "fishing admiral" does for a living, since they have so many spare generals and admirals and air marshals, but it also says he is a "Former Spokesman" so why is he being quoted?

Another comment to posters. 

Do not get fooled by the article folding in two distinct issues; ie illegal fishing and human trafficking.

The tiers refer directly to various country's status in prevention of human trafficking . The illegal fishing, is an introduced pov and a deflection on this direct criticism of Thailand's measures on the overall prevention of human trafficking. 

Better editorial standards would have made that clear in the webfact as it is confused.

8 minutes ago, optad said:

Another comment to posters. 

Do not get fooled by the article folding in two distinct issues; ie illegal fishing and human trafficking.

The tiers refer directly to various country's status in prevention of human trafficking . The illegal fishing, is an introduced pov and a deflection on this direct criticism of Thailand's measures on the overall prevention of human trafficking. 

Better editorial standards would have made that clear in the webfact as it is confused.

an excellent point. The tiering system is indeed about human trafficking and nothing to do with illegal fishing.

i suspect the reason for creating (what i believe) is a deliberate confusion is because the only thing the Thai government can say has been done is a compulsory registration of fisherman. this of course does not mean enforcement of the new standard, its just administration.. 

Would be interesting to see arrest and conviction figures. As far as I know, from local news reports, only a few low and mid level people arrested and ZERO convictions in more than one year of "aggressive" law enforcement. 

Edited by spacelord
Spelling

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Enforce the law vigorously, must have cost somebody a lot of money, as the laws in Thailand are only vigorously enforced when somebody parts with money.

Makes a pleasant change from the normal routine: laws in Thailand are vigorously evaded when somebody parts with money!!

Maybe the headline should be changed to:

Thai Govt's vigorous lying makes Thailand go up to Tier 2

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

15 hours ago, optad said:

Well, once you see that the news comes from NNBT, take it with a barrel of salt.

On 18/11/2016 at 7:58 AM, Johnniey said:

Wouldn't it be great if foreigners that moved to live in a country actually learned the language.

4 hours ago, George Graham said:

Are you ever going to let that go Johnniey?

Please quote the post I was referring to as if you don't the context is lost and your post is meaningless. Actually, looking back at the post I was replying to, your post still is meaningless, please explain.

Edited by Johnniey

On 11/18/2016 at 11:38 AM, Retiredandhappyhere said:

The Government regularly accuses others of creating confusion and misunderstandings, and threaten to punish them with legal action, but they themselves are the biggest offenders by far, as illustrated by this article.

"Do as I say not as I do" comes to mind