In meeting with Prajin, Facebook reiterates firm stand on users’ privacy

webfact

In meeting with Prajin, Facebook reiterates firm stand on users’ privacy
By THE NATION

476022ba4f1fcdb7102631271a0d8f96.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- FACEBOOK yesterday reaffirmed its policy of protecting users’ privacy in a meeting with Deputy Prime Minister Prajin Juntong.

Prajin will seek to meet with Mark Zuckerberg, the Facebook founder and chief executive officer, when attending the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit (Apec) in Peru this weekend.

Yesterday’s meeting at Government House follows an attempt by the government to get online service providers to take action against “inappropriate content” when there is a violation of local laws. 

Prior to yesterday’s meeting, Facebook said in a statement: “We have never provided account information or content of any Facebook user to the government of Thailand, nor do we proactively monitor people’s content or conversations for potential violations of local law.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/politics/30300241

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-18

Friendly reminder

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Forum Rules: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

//Admin

23 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Didn't the junta claim that Facebook had agreed to fully co-operate and there was a letter to that effect ?

Was the letter ever produced ?

You beat me to it.  A lot of us know how Thailand just loves making statements on behalf of others and present them to the mushrooms as facts.

7 minutes ago, Thechook said:

You beat me to it.  A lot of us know how Thailand just loves making statements on behalf of others and present them to the mushrooms as facts.

I really wish govts, organisations, companies etc would really put the boot in about these statements made on their behalf. The Thais are getting away with so much it's become second nature to talk on behalf of others and often the truth is a mere incidental.

To hell with diplomacy etc when the Thais are totally ignoring it.

41 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I really wish govts, organisations, companies etc would really put the boot in about these statements made on their behalf. The Thais are getting away with so much it's become second nature to talk on behalf of others and often the truth is a mere incidental.

I dunno, mate... I do worry at times that statements might be made after 'No way we can help you there, nod, cough, wink' meetings with said govts, organisations, companies, etc.

The bottom line seems to be all that is sacred these days, after all...

Edited by baboon

I hope Facebook know their power and popularity in Thailand.

I hope Facebook do the right thing for a change and tell them how the world works and what year we're in. Offer the Thai government that all-encompassing attitude of "If you don't like it, leave!" (Aka, block our website). Then you'll see Thai people take to the streets. Unfortunately, when you have a s*** ton of money, you're labelled as stupid for doing the right thing and making more. 

Sad how people can be apathetic to even the most heinous things, but take away their platform to show off and boost their ego, and they go nuts. 

20 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I hope Facebook know their power and popularity in Thailand.

I hope Facebook do the right thing for a change and tell them how the world works and what year we're in. Offer the Thai government that all-encompassing attitude of "If you don't like it, leave!" (Aka, block our website). Then you'll see Thai people take to the streets. Unfortunately, when you have a s*** ton of money, you're labelled as stupid for doing the right thing and making more. 

Sad how people can be apathetic to even the most heinous things, but take away their platform to show off and boost their ego, and they go nuts. 

dont worry some govt person will open a website "bacefook" and that  will fill the shallow empty void

So Thailand want's FB to censor people's content that may breach the country's law,,,   Paranoid much fella's? a little delicate then popit?

Maybe Mark Z could use the junta PM's line,  If you don't like our laws then get out.!  There now see uncls Too, somtimes things can come back and bite ya on the ass...

2 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Thailand has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with itself that it can make any statement on behalf of anyone else; signatories are: Thailand, Thailand and Thailand 

Edited by klauskunkel
typo

16 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Thailand has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with itself that it can make any statement on behalf of anyone else; signatories are: Thailand, Thailand and Thailand 

added "land of the free" at the end

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Facebook reiterates firm stand on users’ privacy

1 hour ago, Honthy said:

is this a joke?  Privacy in any social media ?:shock1:

User's privacy excludes the NSA of course.  Weren't they caught before?  And how about those 4 or 5 Thais who were charged with lese majeste a few months ago for comments on FB but it was through private messages only?  I could be wrong and I am sure someone here will point it out if I am :wink:

FB is far too intrusive... just think about it,they want to know everything about us, ie. real name , DOB, location, where we have been, who our friends are, what we read, our interests etc etc even what we are thinking ie "Whats on your mind".  I we volunteer it all.   J. Edgar Hoover would be rolling in his grave wishing he had access to all this information back when he was in charge..

Actually Facebook became Fudgebook (or TATbook) just days ago when it admitted to getting 'some of its metrics wrong'. Translation: they boosted the favourable ones and reduced the unfavourable ones.

So it wouldn't be a surprise if what Baboon said in post #6 was the MO.

5 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

farcebook. 

And this is the winner. Many members of Government, central and local will be able to view their authorative actions (but never completed) posted to this website for all to see, so they can finally learn why their statements are considered jokes in this digital age. Only the poorly uninformed average Thai person would ever believe them, because no one else does.

That reminds me, whatever happened to a promise to fix all Bangkok traffic problems by end of October? Who promised that and did it happen? Anyone?

15 hours ago, candide said:

"The deputy PM said he might talk about the potential for having Facebook establish a data centre in Thailand"

:)

So the Government can exercise yet more control over Thai peoples?  That is the only potential!

"Control freaks" comes to mind.