Drunk European Goes On Soi Buakhao Rampage

webfact

First of all- I have been here almost 50 years  and I first came to  Pattaya when there were no hotels except one and the entertainment industry didn't exist- and have been back to the area hundreds of times and know it well.

As someone who grew up as the son of a bar owner and know this business well- I can tell you that running a bar for profit is the goal but to do this the bar owner/manager needs to know  how to tell when a customer is more trouble than they are worth. I can tell almost immediately when I see a bar patron whether they can handle their alcohol responsibly or not. Other customers who are drinking and having fun do not want to be around out of control drunks who are belligerent and loud mouthed. 

As far as pattaya changing- it is and it is mostly based upon the fact that there is more money in Asian tourism and Thai tourism than there is in single Western tourists who come for only drink and women. In addition, the Asians and Thais are interested in upscale hotels; malls and restaurants and do not need GoGo Bars, Beer Bars and other sexual diversions. The days of free wheeling sin are going away because the World is changing and Thailand has figured out that they can make more money with the new tourism . It is a common misconception that Pattaya will go broke when Western tourists go elsewhere. It won't and the powers in charge are hoping that the troublesome Western drunk takes their business elsewhere.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Thaidream said:

First of all- I have been here almost 50 years  and I first came to  Pattaya when there were no hotels except one and the entertainment industry didn't exist- and have been back to the area hundreds of times and know it well.

As someone who grew up as the son of a bar owner and know this business well- I can tell you that running a bar for profit is the goal but to do this the bar owner/manager needs to know  how to tell when a customer is more trouble than they are worth. I can tell almost immediately when I see a bar patron whether they can handle their alcohol responsibly or not. Other customers who are drinking and having fun do not want to be around out of control drunks who are belligerent and loud mouthed. 

As far as pattaya changing- it is and it is mostly based upon the fact that there is more money in Asian tourism and Thai tourism than there is in single Western tourists who come for only drink and women. In addition, the Asians and Thais are interested in upscale hotels; malls and restaurants and do not need GoGo Bars, Beer Bars and other sexual diversions. The days of free wheeling sin are going away because the World is changing and Thailand has figured out that they can make more money with the new tourism . It is a common misconception that Pattaya will go broke when Western tourists go elsewhere. It won't and the powers in charge are hoping that the troublesome Western drunk takes their business elsewhere.

Just bow my head! You know too much for me. Longer experience, son of a bar owner, knowledge about what all tuorist wants and the knowledge about what the powers want. Gee! How can anybody compete with that big bunch of real truth and comprehensive mass of fact based information?

I certainly do not know everything but I do know the bar business and I do understand how Thailand works and how Thai people think.  Don't worry though: there will always be Pubs; bars and other places of entertainment- they just won't be as visible or in your face. Some people will like the change others will not.  As we say in Thailand- Up to You.

Just now, Thaidream said:

I certainly do not know everything but I do know the bar business and I do understand how Thailand works and how Thai people think.  Don't worry though: there will always be Pubs; bars and other places of entertainment- they just won't be as visible or in your face. Some people will like the change others will not.  As we say in Thailand- Up to You.

Why would I worry? Can you please explain?

Just now, hobobo said:

Typical!

Yes, surely. The police works one by one and always alone where you people come from. I come from the real world, and there they work together.
What ever! Live in your dream worlds of fair and unfair. Typical and rare. Just because you come to Thailand you just don´t own the world, set the rules and have the right to complain over things that is totally normal.
Ok, wrong of me! You have the right, but it just doesn´t look good on you. The suit just doesn´t fit!

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Then don't worry. Live and let live. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. If you don't agree with me- then up to you. 

As I thought! When asked to explain something, it just didn´t work. That says a lot!

18 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Is it any wonder many Thais have a low opinion of us foreigners?

Do they really?

i am glad you opened the description as a generic set as I was always under the impression that it was just me ( or at least that is the impression the wife gives me as I shoulder the blame for yet another horrendous infraction of her dutifully observed indigenous refusal to accept any responsibility for their own actions) 

51 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Good news does not sell newspapers.....or clicks in the case of Thaivisa.

Oh tush and fie.....

surely the imminent headline of;

"Dark Lord Seen Behaving Well, at Notable Pattaya Hotspot"

will garner more clicks than a clickey thing

I have no intention of getting into a pissing contest with someone who has a different opinion than I have and is intent on telling me I am wrong and they are right,. You are entitled to your opinion. I have no worries to explain to you. I base my opinions on various experiences in my life and contacts with people on the ground in Thailand who know business and government.  I listen to the news in Thai and have an excellent understanding of how Thais view doing business; their views on tourism; and how they interact and what they think of Westerners.  I am sure you are welcome in Pattaya or anywhere else just as I am. As I keep saying- Up to you. Nothing more to pursue. Cheers.

1 hour ago, hobobo said:

Typical!

What appears to be typical is that you have not bothered to read the other posts and look at the photo closely otherwise you would know that they were holding him down so that one could bandage the bleeding arm of this allegedly drunk bleeding idiot.

Yes this is also typical of Pattaya police who are forever patching up drunk tourist, not all Westerners by any means.

14 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I am not accusing the Thais of doing anything wrong. However, there is a closing time which is normally not later than 2 AM.  The owner of the open beer bars that keep selling alcohol to obviously drunk customers  are fuelling the problem.  Since the police obviously cannot enforce the closing law- it is time for the new sheriff in town to take over that responsibility. Maybe when these people who cannot handle alcohol find out they cannot get it 24/7 they will move onto other countries. Thailand doesn't need this type of tourist. The only thing a bar gets after 1 AM is someone else's drunks and problems.  If you can't make your profit before legal closing time you shouldn't be in the business.

A nifty list of a)denials, b)accusations, c)assumptions.

a)....I am not accusing the Thais of doing anything wrong....

b)....owner keep selling to obviously drunk customers...

c)...only thing bars get after 1 AM is someone else's drunks, problems

a) is OBVIOUSLY myopic tap-dancing, stone-walling

b&c) I have personal experiences that contradict both

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:18 PM, kalidescopemind said:

Probably up on Yaba for a week, and lost his mind.    Its too bad so much is being smuggled into the country.  Its probably propping up the N.Korean economy. 

Yep, Yaba for sure and from Nth Korea.

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I have no intention of getting into a pissing contest with someone who has a different opinion than I have and is intent on telling me I am wrong and they are right,. You are entitled to your opinion. I have no worries to explain to you. I base my opinions on various experiences in my life and contacts with people on the ground in Thailand who know business and government.  I listen to the news in Thai and have an excellent understanding of how Thais view doing business; their views on tourism; and how they interact and what they think of Westerners.  I am sure you are welcome in Pattaya or anywhere else just as I am. As I keep saying- Up to you. Nothing more to pursue. Cheers.

You have a very biased opinion of Western tourists and maybe you have been here so long that you are not aware of all the sex and drunken behaviour that goes on in other Asian cities. Also that Russians and their neighbors are not Westerners.

If you have been to Pattaya so many times, you would know that many of the bothersome drunks are tourists from Russia and other Asian countries (now especially India) and that rich (and poor) Thais come to Pattaya for sex and booze just as they do in Bangkok and every other place in Thailand every day.

But tourists are mostly confined to a few beach areas whist Thai's go to a different area of Pattaya altogether for their sex with young girls.

I just hope they hurry up and dump a few more thousands of sand on the beach before it all gets washed away.

But you still will not get that many Thai families sitting on it, they all go to the other nicer beaches further round from Jontiem for family days or to Saen Suk and Si Racha which are much more popular with Thai's and have plenty of brothels and bars.

Nobody like sitting next to an obnoxious drunk, Thai or tourist, but it is a holiday town and that simply has to be expected.  If I had a dollar for every drunk Thai I have seen compared to drunk Westerners I would be a very rich man; and drunken tourist certainly do not really bother the majority of Thai's who live and work in Pattaya and don't want the Victiorianly moralistic friends of yours interfering in their city.

It will be nice if the local government does a better job of managing all of Pattaya not just the tourist areas; but they have been improving slowly for years and no credit for that goes to the mob you love so much that are now in bully-boying (I won't say governing) Thailand.

In 5 years Pattaya will have changed so much you will not recognize it. The Thais I was referring to are the middle class with families- these people drink in moderation and conduct themselves with proper decorum. It doesn't matter- the so called bully boys as you call them are in charge, will remain in charge and they do not like the entertainment sex scene and they will get rid of it. It doesn't matter what I like or do not like- the new sheriff runs the show- not me or anyone else. Don't shoot the messenger- I am just relating what I can see happening.

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

Oh dear! I took it out of the view of people in an everyday talk. When people in an everyday talk have something to say about drugs they very much exclude alcohol.
It was not from a professots point of view that trying to sway the peoples opinion. And still it was not much about if alcohol was a drug or not.
Just the thing that "almost all Thai men are dringing alcohol" was again referring to Thai´s, but in this case it was a farang. Almost all farang drink alcohol too, so
it was just an unnecessary remark.

Now again I had to explain the same shit two time! Is that going to be common, Mr. Professor?
Innuendos, more correct or not so correct, and what the law and facts state about alcohol was not relevant. Just that ordinary people
in an every day talk mant times forget or exclude alcohol when they talk about drugs.

As you say... at the end of paragraph three, I think.... "unnessesary remark"

i see your also trying to bait other posters

past experience, courtesy moderators, has taught me one thing .... don't feed trolls

50 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

In 5 years Pattaya will have changed so much you will not recognize it. The Thais I was referring to are the middle class with families- these people drink in moderation and conduct themselves with proper decorum. It doesn't matter- the so called bully boys as you call them are in charge, will remain in charge and they do not like the entertainment sex scene and they will get rid of it. It doesn't matter what I like or do not like- the new sheriff runs the show- not me or anyone else. Don't shoot the messenger- I am just relating what I can see happening.

They have, allegedly, been trying to get rid of it since I first came here 25 years ago.

I can't say I have seen much progress.

6 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I have no objection to people drinking at all hours when on holiday and if a bar has a legit license to serve that is fine with me. However, there is such a thing as responsibility.  If a bar owner sees that a patron is obviously drunk and out of control it makes good sense not to serve him and move him along. Yes, Pattaya is a tourist destination. However, just because you are a tourist in another country does not give you the right to get blind drunk and destroy someone else's property. You could not get away with it in your country and would be arrested if you did it.

As far as closing hours of bars in Pattaya- if a bar is attached to a hotel they can stay open 24/7. If not they must close at 2AM or earlier if the local police deem it. I will stick to my prior statement- it is poor business sense for bars to stay open past the normal legal closing time. Customers who are already drunk have spent the majority of their money at someone else's bar and when they come to the now open bar they will spend little and cause potential trouble.

Pattaya does attract drunks; whore mongers; druggies and wanted criminals. It is obvious why they come here.  I, for one, welcome the new sheriff who has already solved the boat/pier problem; is in the process of solving the Walking Street problem which will get rid of the overt sex attractions and then will move onto other areas. The goal is to make Pattaya a nice destination for Asian and other  tourists and family oriented Thais. The overt debauchery will be curtailed and moved out of sight. If that puts off western tourists from coming- that is exactly what the powers to be want. The old days of anything goes are going away. There will still be plenty of fun things to do in the area but people will not be subjected to those things that they are not interested in such as constant harassment by prostitutes; drunks running amok and jet ski and other scams.

TD.... don't do as I did, when amycat warned me not to feed the troll, two weeks back.

responsible people realise and understand that a responsible businessman, in a country, who's government is  trying to improve its standing in the view of the entire world ( especially/ mainly first world rated countries who control the money), as we have seen with thailands improved standing against human trafficicking,  should also act responsibly.

irresponsible people will act irresponsibly, like selling alcohol to a drunk, as is often seen in the deliberate attempts made in getting girls,drunk, at many Thai party venues, prior to rape attempts.

responsible countries enforce mandated closing times. Responsible businessmen, comply with the law. In selling alcohol, to a drunk, or sober person, after closing time, the bar owner, manager and bartender, are all complicite in a crime.

whereas, the person being served, is not complicite in the crime..... until he goes aviking... 

but.... again.... don't feed the troll

20 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

He just needed Play Dough, coloring books, pet therapy, hot coco, and a good cry.:smile:

You forgot the hug......................:sad:

Where is your empathy you cruel person you...................................:smile:

18 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I am not accusing the Thais of doing anything wrong. However, there is a closing time which is normally not later than 2 AM.  The owner of the open beer bars that keep selling alcohol to obviously drunk customers  are fuelling the problem.  Since the police obviously cannot enforce the closing law- it is time for the new sheriff in town to take over that responsibility. Maybe when these people who cannot handle alcohol find out they cannot get it 24/7 they will move onto other countries. Thailand doesn't need this type of tourist. The only thing a bar gets after 1 AM is someone else's drunks and problems.  If you can't make your profit before legal closing time you shouldn't be in the business.

And yet i remember a time only a couple of decades ago when there was no restriction at all on the opening times in Pattaya. And also almost no trouble; i can testify to that as i was out almost every night until sun-up.

The alcohol was exactly the same, that hasn't changed. Similar number of nutters (if not more so).

So what has changed?

17 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

It's because they've been educated to believe that drug = illegal. Lots of people don't know nicotine is a drug too.

Unfortunate but true.... also unfortunate is watching people push common sense aside, to finance an "argument"

but unfortunately, that's life, and as this is an expat forum, I don't see why expats discussing equivilencies in their own countries, should draw the ire of other posters, as these are relevant to their own experiences and expectations ( this is not directed at you SLB.... obviously)

Archived