National police spokesman tells the public: Be fair to us, don't damage our image

rooster59

National police spokesman tells the public: Be fair to us, don't damage our image

aHR0cDovL3BlMi5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQyMC8yMTAzODEwL2RmdnJmLmpwZw==.jpg
Image: Sanook

A national police spokesman has called on members of the public to be fair to the force. 

Deputy spokesman Kritsana Patanajaroen said posters should check the veracity and date of video clips before putting them online.

Otherwise the image of the police could be damaged unnecessarily, he said. 

His pronouncement came as figures showed that 196 police officers had been punished for misdemeanors committed this year alone.

Kritsana was commenting on two "recent" clips that he said were old cases already dealt with. 

The first was of a Bang Na (eastern Bangkok) policeman asking for and taking a bribe. He said that the officer concerned had been dismissed from the force after the incident in 2013.

Referring to a second clip that was doing the rounds of social media this week - featuring a drunk man being threatened by a lynching mob after an accident outside Esplanade in Rachadaphisek, said that this happened at the start of the year.

The officer concerned in that clip had been praised for his actions in calming a volatile situation. He had won a police award for his fine performance and actions.

Kritsana asked for the public to be fair to the police and not harm the force's image with irresponsible or old posts.

Sanook.com reported that a total of 196 officers had been disciplined nationwide in 2016 for breaking regulations.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-19

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find the video, but there was one of a monk giving a speech about the police.  He was talking about police statements that not all cops are bad.  Just 1%.  He laughed and said something like "must be our bad luck that we only encounter the 1%". LOL

There is absolutely nothing the public can do about the Royal Thai Police Image - it is fully 100% under the control of the RTP, if you are asking the public to ignore transgressions committed by the RTP then that is a different matter entirely

You are in full control of your public image

The good thing is social media and the advancement of technology that exposes transgressions to the masses - you are now being scrutinised more than ever before and it will continue

Too bad the Thai public doesn't have a National Spokesman...:

"After decades of extorting us, falsifying or losing evidence, taking bribes to let criminals go, intimidating witnesses, unwilling and lazy service attitude, do you really think two old video clips will damage your image? Looking forward to your explanation."

1 hour ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Don't damage our image,  there's no need for you to do it as we're doing such a great job ourselves.

Yes they do damage their own image. Here on phuket they go after forienger for no helmit ir liecence but refuse to go the the markets every night to catch hundreds of thai. We also read in papers so much corruption in police force if not true sue the papers

I think they should change the headline to:

"We wanna have our cake and be able to eat it"

It's like businesses here who want your money but think it's beneath them to have to work for it. Simply give me your money because I'm special. 

In this modern age of social media, you simply can't do what you want anymore. You tell the people they should give up their privacy and not worry if they're not doing anything wrong. Well, the same applies to the police and government, etc. You keep telling us you're doing a fine job but the truth heavily contradicts that.

Som nam na.

Image.....the thai police has an image...all I see is the biggest mafia network in the country. Oh when will the army and military simply take over everything and abolish the thai police force. The army has been doing a better job so far except for some ill treatments of its conscripts.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The first was of a Bang Na (eastern Bangkok) policeman asking for and taking a bribe. He said that the officer concerned had been dismissed from the force after the incident in 2013.

Dismissed?

Or jailed as this is the only effective way to deal with a rogue officer whose duty is precisely to enforce the law?

Edited by Mitker
mistyping

I know I am in the minority, but I feel a *bit* of sympathy for the BIB here, perhaps because I spent 7 years with the police in my home country and have seen how incidents can be distorted in the media and how the actions of bad cops are damaging to the good ones. There may be a higher proportion of bad ones in the RTP due to several factors: poor hiring practices, inadequate training, a dysfunctional organisational culture, leadership issues, weak disciplinary practices, and/or underpay. But I believe there are also many good cops--I personally know a couple of them well--and we shouldn't forget that. We should also remember they don't have an easy job... the good ones deserve credit. And they also deserve having the bad one removed from among their ranks (yeah, I know, easy to 'say'....)