Only 2 weeks granted at Poi Pet

I have been reading all the recent posts about the clamp down at Poipet and other Imm Offices. I have a quick story and question. 

I recently did a Border run to PP. I did not realize till i was back in Bkk that Immigration only gave me 14 days on my entry stamp. I then had to do the trip to Chaeng Wattana for a 30day extension. No issues or complaints from the IO, I did ask why I only got 2 weeks from the PP IO and she had nothing to say about it.

I have visited Bangkok a twice before within this year on 30 day tourist stamps, both via Suvanarbhumi. 

So, now I have to exit on the 5th of Dec. I am planning on staying with Mom and Dad (who work in Bkk)for Christmas. My question is, do i risk another PP Border run, or fly out of SVRMBI to a neighboring country? Im anxious in both cases because im worried I will only get given another 2 weeks... If so is it likely going to cause me issues at Chaeng Wattana going for another extension?? 

Any advice would be appreciated!

A 15 day entry is all that is allowed at a border crossing unless you are from a G7 country or one that has a bilateral agreement to get 30 days.

If you fly out and back you would certainly get 30 days. 

No problem to get another 30 day extension.

Thanks for the info.

My passport is not from a G7. I have been given 30 days previously in the same passport but at SVRMBI ...I got 14 days because i came in over a land border? Surely not? Whats the bloody difference!

How easily would i be able to get a 90 day extension from Chaeng Wattana after my next entry stamp? 

It has been 15 day visa exempt entries at a border crossing for over 8 years now. You can only get 30 days by air.

There is no 90 day extension you can get at immigration.

If you want to stay longer you should go out for a single entry  tourist visa that would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Maxwell Greene said:

Thanks for the info.

My passport is not from a G7. I have been given 30 days previously in the same passport but at SVRMBI ...I got 14 days because i came in over a land border? Surely not? Whats the bloody difference!

How easily would i be able to get a 90 day extension from Chaeng Wattana after my next entry stamp? 

• You were given 15 days. The day you enter counts as day 1.
  • It was reduced to 15 days in 2008 to make it harder for people to live in Thailand without an appropriate visa/permit to stay. 
  • They still give all nationalities that qualify for visa exempt entry 30 days when flying in.
  • There is no 90 day extension available for tourism.
Edited by elviajero

24 minutes ago, Sir Maxwell Greene said:

Thanks guys, very insightful. 

@ubonjoe Just to be clear, you're saying that i should enter with my 30 day stamp and apply for a 60 day extension at Chaeng Wattana? 

I was suggesting you go to a nearby embassy or consulate and apply for a single entry tourist visa.

1 hour ago, Sir Maxwell Greene said:

Thanks guys, very insightful. 

@ubonjoe Just to be clear, you're saying that i should enter with my 30 day stamp and apply for a 60 day extension at Chaeng Wattana? 

Savannakhet in Laos is your best bet and get a 60 day Tourist visa..I've been there twice and it has a reputation for a smooth process and I agree.  Half the crowd you get in Vientiane.

21 hours ago, Sir Maxwell Greene said:

Thanks for the info.

It is to try and stop border runners like you abusing the 30 day visa exempt.

On 19/11/2016 at 2:34 PM, ubonjoe said:

A 15 day entry is all that is allowed at a border crossing unless you are from a G7 country or one that has a bilateral agreement to get 30 days.

If you fly out and back you would certainly get 30 days. 

No problem to get another 30 day extension.

Hello ubonjoe.
In that case, a man with a G7 country passport.  He enters Thailand with a single entry tourist visa. Okay, after 58 days, he travels by land to Laos or Cambodia.
And then, he walks back into Thailand immediately.  Are they still going to give him 30 days ?
Thanks.

42 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Hello ubonjoe.
In that case, a man with a G7 country passport.  He enters Thailand with a single entry tourist visa. Okay, after 58 days, he travels by land to Laos or Cambodia.
And then, he walks back into Thailand immediately.  Are they still going to give him 30 days ?
Thanks.

Yes. However, technically, you are supposed to spend 24 hours in Cambodia (Cambodian immigration rule) if you use a land border with Cambodia to do this. The little known rule is often not enforced, but you may need to offer inducements to Cambodian officials sometimes if you do not want to stay overnight.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Hello ubonjoe.
Thanks.

What you're asking about is possible, but it would be better to go to immigration and get a 30 day extension of stay. Out/in border hops without a visa are frowned upon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Yes. However, technically, you are supposed to spend 24 hours in Cambodia (Cambodian immigration rule) if you use a land border with Cambodia to do this. The little known rule is often not enforced, but you may need to offer inducements to Cambodian officials sometimes if you do not want to stay overnight.

Okay, but the Laos officials definitely don't do this ?  :smile:

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

What you're asking about is possible, but it would be better to go to immigration and get a 30 day extension of stay. Out/in border hops without a visa are frowned upon.

"Out/in border hops without a visa are frowned upon."
They are frowned upon, but there is almost zero chance of the Thai officials NOT allowing a 30 day entry stamp ???
As in, it's almost certain the Thai officials will give a 30 day stamp ?

And it's very unlkely that they will ask to see 20,000 baht cash on the border ?

14 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

"Out/in border hops without a visa are frowned upon."
They are frowned upon, but there is almost zero chance of the Thai officials NOT allowing a 30 day entry stamp ???
As in, it's almost certain the Thai officials will give a 30 day stamp ?

And it's very unlkely that they will ask to see 20,000 baht cash on the border ?

Some border checkpoints don't allow out/in visa exempt entries at all. Others will allow them but have limits. Poipet seems a law unto itself, and there is a high chance of being refused. I would recommend crossing in to Laos where the chances of being denied are lower.

They might ask to see 10,000 baht if they are looking for a reason to deny entry. Otherwise it's highly unlikely.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Okay, but the Laos officials definitely don't do this ?  :smile:

There is no 24-hour rule imposed by Lao immigration. Further, the border posts between Thailand and Laos are definitely, on average, more obliging to those using visa exempt entries. This is relative. If you try to do several in/out entries for visa exempt entries at a border between Thailand and Laos, you will eventually have problems.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

There is no 24-hour rule imposed by Lao immigration. Further, the border posts between Thailand and Laos are definitely, on average, more obliging to those using visa exempt entries. This is relative. If you try to do several in/out entries for visa exempt entries at a border between Thailand and Laos, you will eventually have problems.

Okay, this 'border run' will be on the Thai-Laos border, and not on the Thai-Cambodia border.
The last Thai trip on this passport was about one year ago, that holiday involved one border run (as in overland to Laos, and then almost immediate walk back into Thailand).

I get paranoid, get bus into Laos, and then immediately walk back into Thailand, there might be problems. End up being told by Thai officials "you cannot come into Thailand, you do not have a tourist visa".  Or, they start saying "can you show you have 20,000 baht cash".
:smile:

You could get hit by a meteorite on your way across the border. It would be good to have 10,000 baht cash, at least, on you when you cross, but you cannot go through life continually worrying about unlikely worst cases. At least I could not. I would end up a nervous wreck. Hopefully, you will have a normal uneventful border run. Bon voyage.

• Like 1