Yingluck says govt must assist rice farmers without worrying about profit or loss

rooster59

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

el, the red parties had some 12 years to complete or make substantial progress in terms of complete a total restructuring of the whole agricultural industry and let's not mince words, it's desperately needed.

But what did they achieve? Total nothing at all, in fact they deliberately and knowingly locked themselves into a scenario best suited to massive corruption and cronyism and without any real thought about what's best for farmers long-term.

It's also true all the parties over the last several decades should have made progress on this front and they can all be criticized for lack of progress.

At least there now seems to be more discussion developing but I'm not holding my breath.

Totally nothing at all ! Maybe not enough to assist or maybe more can be achieved if governments are allowed to serve their terms rather than disrupted by continous coups which bring the country backwards. 

According to this CNBC link, there are solid indication that poverty was reduced in rural  thailand from 42.6 in 2000 to 13.2 in 2011 (World Bank) and yearly investment at around 3% of GDP in subsidies generated 30% of GDP indicating that subsidies did indeed contribute to the country economy.

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/01/24/thai-rice-subsidies-damned-if-you-do-or-dont.html

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

she says not to worry about the profit or loss? 

Is that because her profit was the country's loss?

And where is that profit? It has not been shown that she benefited in any way from this. She's being asked to pay for corruption that other people committed because she was in charge at the time. 

6 hours ago, selftaopath said:

Isn't corruption part of "Thainess"? Seems like it to me. It's everywhere. Hell our newly "elected" village chief handed out money for votes... and not covertly either. 

How did you have an election did the old one die? I thought all elections are off until further notice. The last elections I saw here before the coup were openly cash deals also, red and yellow shirt.

12 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

...and ex-PMs must open their mouth without worrying if it is gibberish, or cow manure coming out

Especially if they didn't manage to accomplish; 1. to help the farmers because she didn't pay them, just gave them worthless promissory notes. 2. management of a "plan" that allowed rice to flow in from other countries and bankrupt the economy. Such a PM should keep her mouth shut.

7 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Don't worry about profit or loss so is corruption ok then ?

No it isn't but I think you know that the current people in charge of any public moneys will get their " illegal part" too, or do you think not.

It is proven, that in most cases of Thai government involvement some government agencies screw up, some officials get rich and the "helped" on are left out in the rain.

Same here - let supply and demand regulate the business.

I, as a consumer, need an explanation in the mark-up between the rice field and the supermarket. A ton of rice is (except Thailand) produced between THB 6'500 - 8'000. In Thailand it takes 13'000 - 15'000. Take the most expensive (as billions are syphoned off the above-mentioned officials) will result in THB 75 for a 5 kilogramme bag. Why do I, as a customer, pay more than triple that price in Big C or Tesco Lotus, where a kilogramme of "Hom Mali" Jasmine rice is sold between 230 - 250. 

Same, same by the way with refined sugar - over to you as I rest my case! 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Totally nothing at all ! Maybe not enough to assist or maybe more can be achieved if governments are allowed to serve their terms rather than disrupted by continous coups which bring the country backwards. 

According to this CNBC link, there are solid indication that poverty was reduced in rural  thailand from 42.6 in 2000 to 13.2 in 2011 (World Bank) and yearly investment at around 3% of GDP in subsidies generated 30% of GDP indicating that subsidies did indeed contribute to the country economy.

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/01/24/thai-rice-subsidies-damned-if-you-do-or-dont.html

Tell these farmers how well off they are, how Yingluck "helped" them. Sorry, you can't because they're dead, they just couldn't wait to be "helped" any more.

6 hours ago, selftaopath said:

What does "assistance" mean? What does "help" mean? Are rice farmers like "sacred cows"? Maybe if Thailand abandoned it's co-dependent mentality it could compete in areas of world competition.

Well I guess they should end all the tariffs that cause the Thai people to have to buy the much overpriced goods made by the Hi-Sos here shouldn't they? Let them try to compete in an even world market.  Thailand would have a little trouble with that don't you think? 

2 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Very true. I had hoped that this leader would really go after corruption but it became evident with the shuffling of corrupt police that I was just dreaming.

She has had more input into Thai rice policy now than when she was the rice committee chairwoman.

If she spent as much time trying to "help the poor farmers' then she might still be PM. 

Edited by djjamie

YL's got a set of balls coming out with that statement. She would give Buster Gonad a run for his money.

Speaking of money. The Govt. should come with their own statement saying that all the dirty rice money they get back from YL, will be given to the farmers...:whistling:

13 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Tell these farmers how well off they are, how Yingluck "helped" them. Sorry, you can't because they're dead, they just couldn't wait to be "helped" any more.

Ditto one more statistic of Pichit farmer who killed himself just recently. A case of waiting too long while the junta government procrastinated and diverted their too much attention on their political enemies. 

3 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Oh yes, it's good to hear her voice.

Her government showed such an outstanding performance - and she was a perfect example of helping the rice farmers

She helped herself, so maybe she had a rice paddy  (in a bucket  )  :whistling:

18 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

The fact that corruption ruined a government subsidy in no way means that subsidies don't help farmers.  They are committing suicide because they are not getting a subsidy not because they are.

12 minutes ago, djjamie said:

She has had more input into Thai rice policy now than when she was the rice committee chairwoman.

If she spent as much time trying to "help the poor farmers' then she might still be PM. 

I think you probably know that the PM has to spend time on all facets of government and society not just one issue, the fact that many people either were or became corrupt in the rice storage network would have been very hard for her to detect short of going to the storage facilities and counting millions of bags. She has been recently fighting for the farmers when we all know that she could very easily beat feet and retire with her families fortunes. 

20 minutes ago, merlin2002 said:

YL's got a set of balls coming out with that statement. She would give Buster Gonad a run for his money.

Speaking of money. The Govt. should come with their own statement saying that all the dirty rice money they get back from YL, will be given to the farmers...:whistling:

Yeah if they could have found that she got any of the money they would have jailed her by now, but the fact that she was the PM doesn't stop corrupt people from being corrupt does it? They want to punish her now for things that others did, as if she had time to count the bags of rice going in and out herself.

I think the government needs to subsidize the farmers directly so nobody in the middle can scam the system. I don't see any other solution unless starving them out is an option. I think Cambodia may have done that ahead of the Khmer Rough,  That worked out well.

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Why the government need reminding to assist farmers not just rice farmers. It is the social responsibility of any government to help the poor. Assisting farmers is not just a peculiarity of Thailand but all countries have subsidy programs of their own. Just how will the farmers in Japan or Taiwan or other developed and developing countries survive against global competition without subsidies. It is government failures past and present for not reducing social and income inequality that resulted in the majority of citizens in the farming industry and always in debt. 

They don't need reminding Eric. It's another ploy, like her buying and selling some rice, to get her some good PR and hopefully con the farmers once again into believing she really is interested in their welfare. 

She's a actress following instruction. No more no less.

14 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Yeah if they could have found that she got any of the money they would have jailed her by now, but the fact that she was the PM doesn't stop corrupt people from being corrupt does it? They want to punish her now for things that others did, as if she had time to count the bags of rice going in and out herself.

I doubt she would have been dumb enough take money from the scheme herself. This was set up to win votes, and also allow some of the "faithful" an opportunity to take from the gravy train. What the Shins "bought" was votes, loyalty from people who could deliver lots of votes and keep control in their areas of influence. But as with all these schemes, which happen in many many countries, sometimes the trails that are uncovered show the odd slip - so who knows. The companies involved in the fake G2G exports might prove interestingly connected.

They want to punish her because she was willfully negligent. She appointed herself to the chair, never bothered attending and chairing those meetings, refused all advice and warnings, threatened and intimidated individuals who dared speak out, steadfastly refused to produce accounts of the scheme, allowed government ministers to contradict one another and present differing figures, accepted Chalerm's son's mate's assurance there weren't any issues after he inspected and checked everything in a totally unrealistic time frame and repeatedly told everyone she and she alone was in charge.  She lied about the scheme being solvent and not requiring further public funding, and she lied to farmers when vowing they'd be paid. 

She is charged with being negligent. She and her legal team have not offered one word in defense of the actual charges yet. So pray tell, do you think she wasn't negligent? 

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

If governments want to serve their full time of office perhaps they should think about obeying the law and not trying to put themselves above the law.

Why was it Thaksin and Yingluck both dissolved parliament? Think about that.

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

They don't need reminding Eric. It's another ploy, like her buying and selling some rice, to get her some good PR and hopefully con the farmers once again into believing she really is interested in their welfare. 

She's a actress following instruction. No more no less.

If it is pure PR than she succeeded including this new comment. Still the fact of the matter is that if farmers see her as only self serving and really not interested in their welfare, she will be voted out or at the next election, she will not be a contender. But we still little evidence of her declining popularity and possibility of her re-elected is very high. Now that bit about following instruction, lets not broaden our discussion to include the coup. 

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I doubt she would have been dumb enough take money from the scheme herself. This was set up to win votes, and also allow some of the "faithful" an opportunity to take from the gravy train. What the Shins "bought" was votes, loyalty from people who could deliver lots of votes and keep control in their areas of influence. But as with all these schemes, which happen in many many countries, sometimes the trails that are uncovered show the odd slip - so who knows. The companies involved in the fake G2G exports might prove interestingly connected.

They want to punish her because she was willfully negligent. She appointed herself to the chair, never bothered attending and chairing those meetings, refused all advice and warnings, threatened and intimidated individuals who dared speak out, steadfastly refused to produce accounts of the scheme, allowed government ministers to contradict one another and present differing figures, accepted Chalerm's son's mate's assurance there weren't any issues after he inspected and checked everything in a totally unrealistic time frame and repeatedly told everyone she and she alone was in charge.  She lied about the scheme being solvent and not requiring further public funding, and she lied to farmers when vowing they'd be paid. 

She is charged with being negligent. She and her legal team have not offered one word in defense of the actual charges yet. So pray tell, do you think she wasn't negligent? 

Yes I do think she was negligent, and so was every prime minister of the UK or president of the US of one thing or another, you don't see them going after them like rabid dogs after they are out of office. Why don't they move on if she is not guilty of a crime.The current administration is not helping itself by dragging this on. There are many high officials committing crimes against the people/taxpayer right now and I'm sure the fact that their leader is well aware of this will not lend itself to this kind of witch hunt. Oh I forgot they are exempt.

Let us look at the scenario of many small time rice farmers who now rent (by way of part of the crop used for payment) receiving a low price for rice leaves little or no profit to enhance a standard no frills lifestyle, which leaves internal consumption (apart from rice) in Thailand at an all time low in rural areas, unless of course debt rises. What to do with poorly educated 50 - 75 year olds?

So forget politics guys, forget history, let us talk in the here and now.........

Let us see some input/ideas from the vociferous TVisa commentators.........I'll give you a start here guys.....

1) Migrating millions to Bangkok is not the solution

2) Stalling the economy is not the solution

3) Currently relying on 'market prices' perpetuates both of the above

I will be interested to read your proposed solutions and maybe your input/ideas will also assist the current government

11 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Yes I do think she was negligent, and so was every prime minister of the UK or president of the US of one thing or another, you don't see them going after them like rabid dogs after they are out of office. Why don't they move on if she is not guilty of a crime.The current administration is not helping itself by dragging this on. There are many high officials committing crimes against the people/taxpayer right now and I'm sure the fact that their leader is well aware of this will not lend itself to this kind of witch hunt. Oh I forgot they are exempt.

Please name one PM of the UK or POTUS who has appointed themselves to chair their government's flag ship policy, then not bothered to actually attend any meeting and not bothered to ensure sound and transparent financial information was presented?

She was a puppet for her brother, no more no less. He and his cronies called the shots and by appointing her chair, then keeping her away from everything on all those overseas trips, hoped for plausible deniability should the shit hit the fan. They didn't think about a negligence charge which she is wide open to. 

22 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

If it is pure PR than she succeeded including this new comment. Still the fact of the matter is that if farmers see her as only self serving and really not interested in their welfare, she will be voted out or at the next election, she will not be a contender. But we still little evidence of her declining popularity and possibility of her re-elected is very high. Now that bit about following instruction, lets not broaden our discussion to include the coup. 

She's been barred from politics for 5 years Eric. Just like several other members of her family. 

I don't see much evidence of her popularity. The usual rent-a-crowd with flowers when she turns up a court. The usual cronies accompanying her buying and selling rice. The usual Thai desire for a selfie with anyone remotely famous given the chance.

She's only believed by the gullible who have never been allowed access to real education and information for so long. Something her brother has never allowed to be corrected during all the family parties and their years in office this century. Regardless which stooge he uses, things don't change.

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Please name one PM of the UK or POTUS who has appointed themselves to chair their government's flag ship policy, then not bothered to actually attend any meeting and not bothered to ensure sound and transparent financial information was presented?

She was a puppet for her brother, no more no less. He and his cronies called the shots and by appointing her chair, then keeping her away from everything on all those overseas trips, hoped for plausible deniability should the shit hit the fan. They didn't think about a negligence charge which she is wide open to. 

George W Bush said he had concrete evidence that Iraq had and was acquiring more arms of mass destruction but could not divulge this to congress and told them if they didn't vote for the invasion of Iraq any blood from WMD would be on their hands. This killed 5000 US troops, many UK troops and other western troops. Not to mention the innocent peoples of Iraq.  He later said I only trusted my intelligence which also turned out to be a lie as intelligence sources told him they couldn't rule out WMDs, a big difference no. How could they ever rule that out anywhere. The PM in the UK went along with this crap too. This also led to ISSIS forming. Theres one example do you need more?