What's up with SanDisc Memory drives made in China these days?

lostinisaan

Hello expats and experts in computer technology,

I had a little problem with a 64 GB San Disk memory stick two weeks ago and even made a thread asking for advice. Unfortunately, was it not important enough to get anybody's attention and it disappeared. I checked all pages, but it was gone.

But that's water under the bridge and the thingy replaced by a new one. What bugs me is the size I can use, which is only 58.2 GB. How can it be that you pay for 64, but actually only get 58 GB?

Thanks a lot to the mod who deleted my former thread and I truly hope that anybody has got an answer to my question. It's not very expensive and I can live with the 599 baht I paid for. But isn't that a sort of fooling people? Both memory sticks had the same amount free right after buying them and the San Disk program only takes maybe 2 MB away.

Just a warning for those who might think that you can easily format such a thingy and change the format to a different one. You'll lose 60 GB of your drive and there's no way to reverse it.

Is San Disk just a crappy company, or are other 64 GB drives also only that size? Thanks in advance for any answers. 

You will lose a certain amount of space on any drive through whatever way it has been, or whatever way you have formatted it. FAT32 will use less space than NTFS for instance.

It is certainly not just San Disk products that this happens to.

Your original thread is alive and well and living here, why would you think someone removed it, it's not exactly contentious?

I suspect you are caught by the marketing language.

Your drive is somewhere in the region of 64,000,000,000 Bytes, 64GB in purely mathematical terms (kilo = 1000).

However, in computing terms (nearest power of two, kilo=1024) that's only 59.6GB which is what your computer is telling you.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Your drive is somewhere in the region of 64,000,000,000 Bytes, 64GB in purely mathematical terms (kilo = 1000).

However, in computing terms (nearest power of two, kilo=1024) that's only 59.6GB which is what your computer is telling you.

The WiKi is quite detailed on that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

See:

Inconsistent use of units

Deviation between powers of 1024 and powers of 1000

Consumer confusion

Legal Disputes

An arbitrary file on my Windows PC is shown in the explorer view to have:

43.158 KB, file size in Bytes: 44.193.440.

Ever heard of the IEC units? Close to unknown, only found in nerd magazines :biggrin:

kibi, mebi, gibi

yotta/yobi is what the NSA trends to.

FB has pebi/peta. From 2014:

Our warehouse stores upwards of 300 PB of Hive data, with an incoming daily rate of about 600 TB

powers2.jpg

On 11/21/2016 at 9:10 AM, chrisinth said:

You will lose a certain amount of space on any drive through whatever way it has been, or whatever way you have formatted it. FAT32 will use less space than NTFS for instance.

It is certainly not just San Disk products that this happens to.

That's how I'dve lost more than 60 GB of space. I changed it to NTFS and the 64 GB version doesn't seem to like that.

I really tried all to re-formate, etc..but once it shows 3.72 Gb there's no way to get it back to normal. 

I've just found something of interest on San Disk's website. eXFAT doesn't seem to like a different file format. 

Formatting a memory card, flash drive or device using a Windows 8 System
How do I format my memory card, flash drive or device using a PC?

NOTE: All SanDisk memory cards and flash drives come pre-formatted and do not need to be formatted out of the box. They are formatted with the following standards:
     - FAT for 2GB or lower capacity
     - FAT32 for 4GB to 32GB capacities

- exFAT for 64GB or higher capacities 

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12766/~/formatting-a-memory-card,-flash-drive-or-device-using-a-windows-8-system

Thanks for the replies. Khop Khun maak khrap. 

On 11/21/2016 at 9:16 AM, Crossy said:

Your original thread is alive and well and living here, why would you think someone removed it, it's not exactly contentious?

I suspect you are caught by the marketing language.

It's basically around 10 % that isn't usable no matter what size of drive it is. So if they come up with a 128 GB, it will only have around  115 GB? 

P.S. I almost forgot to mention that the PC I used to change the format indeed showed the right size, ( 58.+) GB but any other PC's only 3.7+ GB.

The unbelievable happened. I've still got my old drive shown as a 58 GB with all software on it, without taking any space of my hard drive away.

I can't remember what I did to get my 64 GB ( 58) back, but obviously used the PC settings and got another drive now.

Nothing is impossible....... :stoner:

Archived