Thailand’s Justice Minister Stands Firm on Removing Krathom and Marijuana from Narcotic Drug List

webfact

Thailand’s Justice Minister Stands Firm on Removing Krathom and Marijuana from Narcotic Drug List

BANGKOK – Thailand’s Justice Minister Gen.Paiboon Koomchaya has said he is standing firm in his aim to remove krathom and marijuana from the narcotic drugs list and treat them as medicinal herbs.

He believes the move is necessary because the government has failed to curb them.

He reiterated his stance yesterday when he met officials and civic groups from 14 southern provinces in Songkhla. The meeting was called because crackdowns in Thailand are believed to have forced people to buy the illicit plants from Malaysia, according to a source.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailands-justice-minister-stands-firm-on-removing-krathom-and-marijuana-from-narcotic-drug-list.html

changraitimes_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang Rai Times 2016-11-21

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

“He believes the move is necessary because the government has failed to curb them.

I agree with this move, but the logic baffles me.

Is he going to remove road rage violence, murders, etc. from the crime list because the government has failed to curb them?

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

There's no money in rice or rubber, they should get the rice farmers farming hemp to sell overseas to countries which are loosening their laws on cannabis consumption.

State controlled hemp production could a real cash cow for Thailand. 

There's enough money in rice and rubber as long as you produce it on an efficient large scale and sell to the right customer.

Thai mariuhana is full of seeds which lowers the quality, they better improve that first.

3 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

“He believes the move is necessary because the government has failed to curb them.

Is he going to remove road rage violence, murders, etc. from the crime list because the government has failed to curb them?

He won't have to worry about corruption because that will be controlled in 20 years !    :whistling:

1 hour ago, jaltsc said:

Road rage violence, murders, etc, are not victim-less crimes.  Smoking pot is.  At the least, it should be decriminalized.  Nobody should go to jail for 10 years for possessing some pot.  A fine, perhaps, jail, no way.

1 hour ago, jaltsc said:

The logic is sound.

Prohibiting road rage, etc helps alleviate these problems and has no side effects.

Prohibiting drugs, while it may deter some from partaking, causes massive collateral damage to people's health and to society in general.

Prohibition is a brain dead policy.

44 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Road rage violence, murders, etc, are not victim-less crimes.  Smoking pot is.  At the least, it should be decriminalized.  Nobody should go to jail for 10 years for possessing some pot.  A fine, perhaps, jail, no way.

Those were examples and the question was more about logic wasn't it?

45 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Yep. (Except for the fine bit...)

43 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Road rage violence, murders, etc, are not victim-less crimes.  Smoking pot is.  At the least, it should be de-criminalized.  Nobody should go to jail for 10 years for possessing some pot.  A fine, perhaps, jail, no way.

smoke it at home no problem, but you know that the next thing these pot heads will do is drive.  then it is not a victimless crime when the moron kills someone while being hight as a kite

49 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Yes, it really is ridiculous that  20 year old university students are being put in prison for no other reason than pissing in a bottle to show pot consumption. Thousands of lives ruined. But alcohol is ok.  

3 minutes ago, dieseldave1951 said:

smoke it at home no problem, but you know that the next thing these pot heads will do is drive.  then it is not a victimless crime when the moron kills someone while being hight as a kite

Oh right, like those alcohol heads. 

Those morons have killed people ten fold more than pot heads. 

No problem there, though eh? ??

2 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

He won't have to worry about corruption because that will be controlled in 20 years !    :whistling:

he didnt say "which" 20  years though, could be starting from 2299 for all we  know

21 minutes ago, dieseldave1951 said:

100% agree.  The law should be DUI.  Driving under the influence.  Whether it's alcohol, pot, medicine, whatever, you are impaired and should be illegal to drive.  They should make pot like alcohol.  Regulate it.  But not put somebody in jail for 10 years for possession....or extort big amounts of money.

27 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Yes, it really is ridiculous that  20 year old university students are being put in prison for no other reason than pissing in a bottle to show pot consumption. Thousands of lives ruined. But alcohol is ok.  

Surely you have to be caught in possession before the police can make an arrest and charge you?

23 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Surely you have to be caught in possession before the police can make an arrest and charge you?

I'm not so sure. I know that in Singapore, they just have to find THC in your system to charge you. Then there are all the stories here about police doing urine test during raids at clubs, etc., and people being arrested on the basis of the results (though I don't know what substances they are testing for in those instances).

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

Oh right, like those alcohol heads. 

Those morons have killed people ten fold more than pot heads. 

No problem there, though eh? ??

Erm, yes theres a problem there, its against the law and for good reason.

I have heard so many arguments for and against, and in my opinion I think its a bad idea. I have bothered to inform myself at least to a reasonable extent so dont think i am ill informed.

There are just too many unknowns and far too many scientific facts against the damage the drug "can" do. It seems to me a lot of the Pro campaigners are simply users who see no harm.

It's ironic that in some parts of the world (e.g., Singapore), people are hanged for possessing as little as 500g of marijuana while in other parts, it's perfectly legal. It's ironic that marijuana is considered illegal in many places, while more harmful drugs (alcohol and nicotine) are openly consumed in public and in the media. It's ironic that wealthier people can abuse their artificially-produced prescribed medicines without penalty while poorer people go to jail for smoking (etc) naturally growing plants.

Just three days ago a man was hanged in Singapore for possessing marijuana with intent to traffic: http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2016/11/17/nigerian-national-set-to-be-hung-at-dawn-tomorrow-for-trafficking-of-cannabis-after-apex-court-dismisses-last-ditch-appeal/