Tap water production remains a concern on Koh Samui

webfact

SURAT THANI, 21 November 2016 (NNT) - Provincial Waterworks Authority (PWA) Governor Seri Supharathit revealed that the amount of water in Phru Na Muang Reservoir is at the lowest level compared to years before. 

Seri traveled to Ko Samui, Surat Thani, to measure the amount of water left for production. He said the increasing amount of rainfall in October had raised the tap water production capacity from 50% to 100%. Despite the optimism, Seri said the water amount in Phru Na Muang Reservoir remains a major concern. 

In spite of the higher production capacity, Seri cautioned that the amount of precipitation in November has been lower year on year. For this reason, the PWA will go ahead and double the amount of tap water via a reverse osmosis system. 

If it continues to rain on the island during the last two months of this year, the water levels in Phru Na Muang Reservoir will likely increase to at least 800,000 cubic meters. Water trucks will be required to replenish the reservoir if there is little or no rain at all in order to ensure that there will be enough water until Songkran Festival next year. 

Meanwhile, Seri disclosed that the construction of a 20 kilometer-long underwater pipe between Ko Samui and Nakhon Si Thammarat is 20% complete. The construction is expected to go ahead at full speed when the monsoon season comes to an end. The construction will be finished in March next year.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-11-21

A finger needs to be pointed at unending construction by the developers. I doubt a construction project has ever been denied.

It's the same situation in Phuket as 10,000 more condos are under construction in a place with an enormous property bubble and already overwhelmed water, sewage and trash.  

There should be a building moratorium in place in Samui and Phuket until they can get the environmental issues under control.

Fat chance of that happening. Thais never do anything until they have to...or it's too late.   

1 hour ago, brain150 said:

Clean fresh water, electricity and garbage are the main problems on the island.

[... and might kill the island slowly but steadily]

... the only concern for everybody is free WiFi and 4G.

It's an insane world we live in.

Having  just got back from there yesterday, my second visit, last one 10 years ago I was very disappointed with how Samui now is.

Quiet season supposedly but the roads were much busier and the whole place was  much more built up. Noise at night from music also wasnt good.

I wont be going back, shame, whole  mountainsides now covered in "palaces"

Heard  govt trucks  driving round mentioning any water problems such as leaks to call them quickly

7 hours ago, webfact said:

not only n Koh Samui. This problem is valid in Thailand. The quality of tap water is really low.

Drrinking water we have is a surface water and cannot be fiiltered by the necesssary minerals to be enjoyable drinking water.

So water in Thailand is always problem....

On 11/21/2016 at 8:52 AM, kannot said:

Having  just got back from there yesterday, my second visit, last one 10 years ago I was very disappointed with how Samui now is.

Quiet season supposedly but the roads were much busier and the whole place was  much more built up. Noise at night from music also wasnt good.

I wont be going back, shame, whole  mountainsides now covered in "palaces"

Heard  govt trucks  driving round mentioning any water problems such as leaks to call them quickly

Typical trash post. Where was the noise? Green Mango ! Roads much busier than 10 years ago No sh1t. You didn't hear govt trucks more likely ones promoting annoyances on Samui.

On 11/21/2016 at 2:37 PM, Honthy said:

not only n Koh Samui. This problem is valid in Thailand. The quality of tap water is really low.

Drrinking water we have is a surface water and cannot be fiiltered by the necesssary minerals to be enjoyable drinking water.

So water in Thailand is always problem....

BS I don't know anyone that drinks tap water in Thailand. In Thai areas there are RO machines for people to use, I would use these as well but we have our drinking water delivered.

We're once again having to buy drinking water from Tesco as our (Blue 20L bottled) home delivery service went AWOL 2 months ago.

Previous companies had the decency(!) to wait until Songkran.

drinking-water-bottle-20-liter-250x250.png

(Their 'New Driver cannot find your house'  baloney wore off weeks ago!)

12 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Typical trash post. Where was the noise? Green Mango ! Roads much busier than 10 years ago No sh1t. You didn't hear govt trucks more likely ones promoting annoyances on Samui.

BS I don't know anyone that drinks tap water in Thailand. In Thai areas there are RO machines for people to use, I would use these as well but we have our drinking water delivered.

I know.... villagers do sometimes. Anyhow my point was not the same

6 hours ago, evadgib said:

We're once again having to buy drinking water from Tesco as our (Blue 20L bottled) home delivery service went AWOL 2 months ago.

Previous companies had the decency(!) to wait until Songkran.

drinking-water-bottle-20-liter-250x250.png

(Their 'New Driver cannot find your house'  baloney wore off weeks ago!)

I'm sure they will have the decency to pop round with your bottle deposit though  :w00t:

Always amazes me these people who complain about Samui, as one big problem of noise and traffic....  I guess they just stay in Chawang and don't check out the rest of the island!!:stoner:

As for water delivery, the place on Soi 5 Maenam, up a ways on the left, past Samran gardens,  is a regular as clock work with deliveries for me .... even now I am in Ban Por, same company as I have always used..

Never heard of anyone getting deposit back, but price of water been the same for years, one  really cannot complain..

Will PM  you Eva!

3 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Always amazes me these people who complain about Samui, as one big problem of noise and traffic....  I guess they just stay in Chawang and don't check out the rest of the island!!:stoner:

As for water delivery, the place on Soi 5 Maenam, up a ways on the left, past Samran gardens,  is a regular as clock work with deliveries for me .... even now I am in Ban Por, same company as I have always used..

Never heard of anyone getting deposit back, but price of water been the same for years, one  really cannot complain..

Will PM  you Eva!

You pay a 'deposit for the bottles'. When we departed for some work overseas a while ago we rang the delivery driver and on production of the bottles and deposit slip he refunded our money. Later in the day the 'office' rang us to say we were only entitled to a 50% refund and we should give half the money back ..... 555. I agree though it is a real battle to get any sort of 'deposit' back.

Archived