Card launch set to help Thailand on path to cashless society 

webfact

Card launch set to help Thailand on path to cashless society 
By The Nation

351416fc529af06a52fc66bb3462c5a8.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- AirPay (Thailand) has joined hands with MasterCard and Thanachart Bank in launching AirPay Card, a virtual prepaid card promising to not just accelerate but also encourage the growth of e-payments in Thailand by increasing the convenience and security of online transactions. 

The launch aims to support the country’s transition into a cashless society, with the ‘Generation Me’ (Gen Me) group empowered more than ever before to shop online.

There are expected to be one million AirPay Card owners by the end of next year. Maneerut Anulomsombut, chief executive officer of Garena Online (Thailand) – a leading consumer Internet platform provider – said AirPay offered an offline payment service with the support of 85,000 over-the-counter distribution channels across the country.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/Startup_and_IT/30300530

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-22

'Generation Me' says it all, doesn't it?

Also, this idea of a cashless society is intensely dangerous: once get rid of ready cash and depend on electronic transactions and the government can turn off your access to money at a whim - if you dare to speak out about it and become a 'dissident'.

judging by the queues i see of locals buying a ticket every time they want to use the bts or mrt instead of having a pre-paid card that would save them an awful lot of time i would say thais are not culturally or physiologically open to a cashless society. and these are bangkok people.

1 hour ago, Brer Fox said:

"......even donate money to charities".

AirPay will certainly make things so much easier and safer for those who have to carry around those pesky brown envelopes at regular intervals.

You still send letters in envelopes as well?

They give eachother Central give-cards these days. Very easy, just a plastic card which represents the amount you want to give.

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

'Generation Me' says it all, doesn't it?

Also, this idea of a cashless society is intensely dangerous: once get rid of ready cash and depend on electronic transactions and the government can turn off your access to money at a whim - if you dare to speak out about it and become a 'dissident'.

As David Icke says "totalitarian tip toe'.

29 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

I expect people said the same when CCs came out. Probably 50 years+ away. Imagine rolling up to a mom&pop shop for two bottles of beer and a pack of crisps and presenting a piece of plastic ! :giggle:

Imagine take the skytain, you bleep the card and walk through....it's called a Rabbit card and works perfect! Can also be used in many shops who even give discount when you use it.

Why not expand the rabbit card more? Don't want another card.

The "Credit" card is the first edge of Capitalist elitest control of society by the wealthy.

"Credit" cards are the devils invention.

I accept "debit" cards because you must first have the funds to spend with your debit card.

"Credit" cards are evil because they allow you to spend mney you have not yet earned and pay interest on money you have never earned and may never be able to earn.

They are how the wealthy Capitalist elite maintain their control of the society that benefis them and enslaves others.

Just my opinion.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I expect people said the same when CCs came out. Probably 50 years+ away. Imagine rolling up to a mom&pop shop for two bottles of beer and a pack of crisps and presenting a piece of plastic ! :giggle:

They already.do that in the west. Wife use to work in variety store and kids would buy something under a dollar with a atm card. Some places you only have to point your card at a device. No need to use a key pad to input a pin number.

Step 1.  Eliminate cash.

Step 2.  Charge everyone a modest fee for every transaction.

Step 3.  Increase transaction charges gradually over time.  By the time people realize that they are losing a significant percentage of their income for nothing, it will be too late to go back to cash.

From the point of view of a bank, it's a perfect plan.

Remember the story of the boiling frog?

boil-frog2.jpg

Edited by otherstuff1957
added frog.

2 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

The "Credit" card is the first edge of Capitalist elitest control of society by the wealthy.

"Credit" cards are the devils invention.

I accept "debit" cards because you must first have the funds to spend with your debit card.

"Credit" cards are evil because they allow you to spend mney you have not yet earned and pay interest on money you have never earned and may never be able to earn.

They are how the wealthy Capitalist elite maintain their control of the society that benefis them and enslaves others.

Just my opinion.

Or encourage you to exercise self-control. You know, like an adult.

When I'm in London I use my Visa card to travel on the train/underground/bus network there. They call it Contactless, which is weird because you have to contact your card with the reader. But no cash transaction takes place and I can check what has been charged to the card each day.
I guess they're introducing this card because so few Thais have credit cards. But basically same same. Just Thailand trying to catch up with the 21st century.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

First you to have to have the cash before you can be a ' cashless society '.....

and Gen Me, can be translated in Thai to Gen Bear (Mee)....

How does that song go? "I owe my soul to the company store" We are cashless now in so many ways. Go to your friendly bank and ask for a loan. The manager says "no problem" and pushes a green button (you never want him to push the red one as the floor opens up. Its kind of the physical side of your credit card being seized and cut up) and he proclaims the money is now in your account go forth and spend with gusto.