Thai Wife / British Marriiage Certificate

You probably won't even need to translate your marriage certificate into Thai to get your 'relevant visa.' (Which, I assume, would be a NonImmigrant 'O" based on marriage to a Thai.)

In my case, all's I've had to do at the Thai Embassy in Wash DC is provide a copy of my marriage certificate (non-translated English version), copy of wife's Thai ID card, and a letter from her stating we're still married (the latter when she did not accompany me to the Embassy -- and it too was in English). I've done this several times, with no problems. I would imagine this would be the case in the UK too, English being the host language and all.

I'd certainly check this out before going to time and expense getting official certification and then translation. Then, when you get to Thailand, you can more easily translate and certify your marriage certificate, which you'll need if and when you visit Thai Immigration for annual visa extensions based on marriage. I haven't done this yet, but Dr PP knows the details on translation and certification procedures.

Having said all this, you might just meet a jerk clerk who will insist on Thai translation. From what I've read on this forum, Hull Consulate is a much better choice to obtain hassle-free your NonImm 'O" than Embassy in London. Believe you can do all this via mail too (maybe a Brit can confirm this). Or maybe you already live in Hull, based on your moniker(?).

Would the translation have to be an official document from a thai consulate

An accredited translator will do the job. You can use a translator in Thailand when you are here. The Consulate in Hull will accept the Brit certificate. Immigration may want a translation when you extend your visa in Thailand.