Fastest Car/Truck you have Owned

canthai55

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

yuck small tire and lots of pork.

Yes small tire cars were a ton of work. And trust me when I say they are a handful to drive at speeds. My dad used to video the car and he would cringe as he would watch it go down the track with my daughter and they used to say "hurry to the traps and pull the chute". Many guys became intimately close with barriers coupled with some that just flat drove across the centerline. We all had some close calls.. Mine got much better after I added a better 4 link system

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Yes small tire cars were a ton of work. And trust me when I say they are a handful to drive at speeds. My dad used to video the car and he would cringe as he would watch it go down the track with my daughter and they used to say "hurry to the traps and pull the chute". Many guys became intimately close with barriers coupled with some that just flat drove across the centerline. We all had some close calls.. Mine got much better after I added a better 4 link system

10.5 is a popular class now and those guys seem to have it sorted, fastest time is in the 5's aint it ?

Edited by Don Mega

17 minutes ago, JAFO said:

A good 4 link can do wonders. This is the one I had on my Stude. Comp Engineering 4 link and a Dana 60.

Undercarriage 004.jpg

I haven't checked in a long time. I know the 10.5W street outlaw class is 6's somewhere. Drag Radial is mid to high 7's. Its amazing when I think back 13 years or so when this was really new cutting edge race technology. Now Its pretty standard fair. 

Few more pics from the past

Front%20up%20Gil%20style_zpskwipruvh.jpg

Black and white deal a friend took when I took a bye run at Tuscon Az race track.

jp-hi-wheelin-2_zpso10ou9x8.jpg

Good flat ass wheels up drag race. 69 Camaro vs 67 Nova. BBC with a lot of N20 and a SBC with a lot of Turbo.

Rear%20Wing_zpsxw0icvr2.jpg

This is when I knew It had gone to far. We had to add a wicker on the rear trunk lid as the car was just too damn unstable clocking 190+. My Nova was a "flying brick". Now everyone has new Camaro's and Mustangs and all are aerodynamic. 

Probably more like yours but was it ever in magazine? And the name on the windshield rings a bell, oh that might be the ringing in my ears...lol. I haven't checked lately, don't want to cry, anybody know the latest HP ratings for the SS Camaro and Mustang? From the HP ratings last time I checked on Camaros compared to mine it seems one would have to put a roll cage in it just to run.

N

13 minutes ago, sgtsabai said:

Probably more like yours but was it ever in magazine? And the name on the windshield rings a bell, oh that might be the ringing in my ears...lol. I haven't checked lately, don't want to cry, anybody know the latest HP ratings for the SS Camaro and Mustang? From the HP ratings last time I checked on Camaros compared to mine it seems one would have to put a roll cage in it just to run.

New Camaro SS - 450hp

New 2017 Camaro ZL1 - 650hp

New 2017 Mustang Shelby GTE- 663hp

Of course Mopar has 707hp. I heard the 2018 Mustang will have over 700hp. Muscle cars are back!

Edited by Rdrokit

Like I said, put a legal roll bar in it before heading for the strip. Now I'm crying. Time for another Singha Lite, must cry in my beer.  Long live the Muscle Car! Oh, and these cars will actually go around a corner and stop. BTW, saw a 2015, I believe, SS Camaro cruse down Soi Sampan in Udon some months back. Everybody thought some kind of kit car...lol. Didn't get a chance to check the plates, but probably Lao. I haven't seen it since, either here or in Lao. I did see a '62 Impala covertable, good condition, in Vientiane once and several 65/66 etc. Mustangs still around.

33 minutes ago, sgtsabai said:

Like I said, put a legal roll bar in it before heading for the strip. Now I'm crying. Time for another Singha Lite, must cry in my beer.  Long live the Muscle Car! Oh, and these cars will actually go around a corner and stop. BTW, saw a 2015, I believe, SS Camaro cruse down Soi Sampan in Udon some months back. Everybody thought some kind of kit car...lol. Didn't get a chance to check the plates, but probably Lao. I haven't seen it since, either here or in Lao. I did see a '62 Impala covertable, good condition, in Vientiane once and several 65/66 etc. Mustangs still around.

I belong to the Thai American Car Club out of Bangkok. All early American iron. Here is a link to some pics of their yearly car show. I have been sick so I haven't attended a meeting in awhile. Hope the link works.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109000363149494914708/album/AF1QipOtbmLdhmOA_8djgxmulaQjRy1MsZFQme_EivaC

You can buy a 2016 Camaro ZL1 in Bangkok if you have about 6 million baht. There is a used 2009 SS for 3 million.

http://www.one2car.com/chevrolet/camaro/

Edited by Rdrokit

Great pics, although I hate low-rider type vehicles, a sin to do that. How did those vehicles get here and the parts, engines etc? I knew that the Camaro's, Vette's etc. were available, ouch didn't need to see the price...lol. Get well brother.

Melvin, rear end gearing, rear end gearing. The quicker the 1/4, the slower the top end speed on the long track. Old 409 I had ran 110 in the 1/4 and not much more than that on the highway. 4:11 rear end.

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Would be a toss up between my 76 Triumph Interpol motorcycle and my 69 Z28. Both could hold the road at 160mph and were damn near equal in the quarter mile. (around 6.9 seconds and 7.2 seconds respectively) :smile:

I thought the Interpol was a Norton and those sound like 1/8 mile times

9 hours ago, transam said:

Dunno, but definitely didn't have a five main bearing crank. Though he did have a five journal crank like everyone else..

as  said way up above, did not have 5 bearings, 5 bearing rebuild kits for blocks were advertised in the magazines

did I have a 1275? yes - several and 998s and 970s, the 970s being the funniest ones

rally tuned? whats that? are rally tuned engines different from tuned engines?

but my engines were heavily tuned, as it was cheap to do it and they delivered great fun

as to increase in rpm, without trying to remember exactly I'd guess roughly around 2500 +

Chrysler 300M

Bought it used 3,000USD near the 190,000km odometer.

Driven it up to 200km/hr no vibration, smooth as idle. The speedometer limit on the instrument cluster was 200km/hr. I remember once going to the autoshow and going up to the Chrysler booth and asking, why do your cars have such low top speed on the instrument cluster. He replied, "Unlike other cars, we're not just for show, we actually get there."

The fastest car I owned was a Honda CRX Si 1986 model .  Back then I got the stares everywhere I went because it was a rare model .  It felt like I was driving a racing car, just loved it. 

I remember I went to Germany to test drive it on the autobahn , I could feel the vibrations at around 180 km/h .  200 km/h  and still ok to drive but I was a bit scared. 

0607_ht_+1988_honda_crx_carlos_garcia+re

htup-1206-10+1988-honda-crx-si+side-view

Edited by balo

Saab turbo that topped out around 235,  BMW 3 series about 220, Mustang 5.0 convertible good grunt and a Gremlin X modded in high school topped out around 220 kmh (you knew when the shifter began to rattle like a grinder and the front end began lifting lol)...

3 minutes ago, losworld said:

Saab turbo that topped out around 235,  BMW 3 series about 220, Mustang 5.0 convertible good grunt and a Gremlin X modded in high school topped out around 220 kmh (you knew when the shifter began to rattle like a grinder and the front end began lifting lol)...

I have been in a Saab 99 turboS at 140mph, took about 10 minutes though...:biggrin:

20 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

as  said way up above, did not have 5 bearings, 5 bearing rebuild kits for blocks were advertised in the magazines

did I have a 1275? yes - several and 998s and 970s, the 970s being the funniest ones

rally tuned? whats that? are rally tuned engines different from tuned engines?

but my engines were heavily tuned, as it was cheap to do it and they delivered great fun

as to increase in rpm, without trying to remember exactly I'd guess roughly around 2500 +

Wow,  you had a 1275 turning to 8500 rpm. must a had some serious valve train in it.

Got any more specs of it ?

Edited by Don Mega

My chum was an Irish rally driver and co pilot way back then with BL mini Cooper S's.....Yes, rally cars are different to road cars, a rally mini needs a very high F/Drive to use the very low HP....He has never heard of a mini Cooper S reaching speeds of 130mph...

On 11/26/2016 at 8:17 PM, Rdrokit said:

I belong to the Thai American Car Club out of Bangkok. All early American iron. Here is a link to some pics of their yearly car show. I have been sick so I haven't attended a meeting in awhile. Hope the link works.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/109000363149494914708/album/AF1QipOtbmLdhmOA_8djgxmulaQjRy1MsZFQme_EivaC

You can buy a 2016 Camaro ZL1 in Bangkok if you have about 6 million baht. There is a used 2009 SS for 3 million.

http://www.one2car.com/chevrolet/camaro/

your link works fine - there are some nice rides there - I wanted to bring my 69 Camaro Z/28 Penske replica over here but they wanted insane customs duties, if any body is interested I can get BRAND NEW 67 - 69 Camaro and 65-68 Mustang bodies, doors, etc.. PM me for details.