Fastest Car/Truck you have Owned

canthai55

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/12/2016 at 2:13 PM, transam said:

Half a century apart tech...:stoner:

Right, but I wonder if as a driver you actually feel such a difference. The only difference I expect from  the modern engine will be a bit less thirsty, but knowing my heavy right foot, I doubt it.

What I forgot to mention is the torque of the Benz: 750 Nm between 2500 and 5000 rpm (about 550 pf for you guys form the US)

BTW, my reference in the US is the Plymouth Roadrunner I had in the 1975 while living in San Diego.

And now let's go burn some rubber!

When I was just a kid, most of us had VERY little money. One of my young friends was pretty well financed by his father. He had a beautiful 55 Chevy two door hardtop. He bought a 283 V8 and spent a ton of money on it. Balanced, blueprinted, bored out to 301, domed pistons, 3/4 race cam and good headers. It was topped off with two four barrel carbs. He never was able to get the engine to run properly. I eventually was able to do some swapping with him and got the engine. I then traded the two four barrel carbs for a dual pumper  four barrel Holly. That's all it needed. It just had too much fuel going in. I then put that engine in a two door sedan 1960 Chevy. It was an ugly brown color with beanie hub caps, a real sleeper. I could never keep the fan belt on when I wound it up. I guess the engine cooling system was never designed to turn that many RPM's Since it was never driven in town, I took the fan blade off. I was then able to keep the belt on. It was a lot of fun. The guys never laughed at the ugly car when all they could see was the back bumper pulling away from them.

After I got out of the service and had a little money, I bought a new 1965 400 ci Buick Gran Sport. A friend of mine had a 1965 Plymouth Hemi. He never could beat the little Buick. He always complained that Buicks were not supposed to be fast.