First time in Thailand. Traveling alone. Where to go?

weejun

Try Chiang Mai first , if you find it boring there after a few weeks (unless you love Thai culture , Thai food and temples) head for Pattaya and you will probably not regret it . 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28.11.2016 at 7:46 AM, Lipboy said:

Hi. Weejun, 

Have you decided when you are going to Thailand yet? If so where are you travelling to and how long will you be there?

Right now I'm looking at January-February, probably two weeks. I will be seeing Bangkok for sure, but then I want to find a place to relax on the beach. Some people here have recommended Koh Samui, and it seems like a very possible second destination after a taste of Bangkok.

5 minutes ago, weejun said:

Right now I'm looking at January-February, probably two weeks. I will be seeing Bangkok for sure, but then I want to find a place to relax on the beach. Some people here have recommended Koh Samui, and it seems like a very possible second destination after a taste of Bangkok.

Koh Samui is expensive, consider Krabi as a cheaper alternative unless money is unlimited.

Don't get stalled in Bangkok, it's just another big city, congested, crowded and dirty. Perhaps consider Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai as a contrast to what you will have already seen.

If you get here before the end of January, all the Historical Parks and Museums are offering free admission. The Ministry of Fine Arts is doing this to commemorate the King. Most of them would be super cheap entry anyways, but its nice not to have to pay the fees since its usually a big multiple of what the Thais pay. A lot of Chinese tourists are skipping Thailand right now because of the Kings death so it should be less crowded in general. December to Feb is much cooler overall too.  

You seem to prefer islands and beaches. Relax on the beach : Samui is the best deal. You can either party at Chaweng, or hang out somewhere more mellow like Bhoput or Lamai.  Yes its more expensive than other places, but this is real tropical island in SE Asia, with all amenities (usually). Crabi is dead boredom for a single guy. If you are short of time, you can go to Koh Samed, very relaxing,  white powder sand beaches, only 2 hours from Bangkok. Either one will relax you, after Bangkok.

Yeah, I don't mind if it's a bit more expensive. Even if it is, it will still be cheap to me.

I do want to check out Bangkok, so I will probably stay there for a few days (2-4?). I wonder if it would be much more expensive to only order plane tickets to Bangkok as a start, and then order tickets to the next destination (Koh Samui?) a day or two before actually going there. I don't know if I will love or hate Bangkok :)

Edited by weejun

Just get yourself a one-way ticket to bkk then from there you then decide your next location.. I used to do that and when I'm bored of the place and wanna to travel to another place I would either go to the airport to get myself a air ticket or rent a car and drove to my next location.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, weejun said:

Looks like the flooding in the south could rule out Koh Samui in mid to late February... Bangkok still looks somewhat safe weather-wise, though?

Monsoon-season can continue until mid January, which it did this year, Samui is perfect in February; in average the most dry month in the year and not too warm (link to Samui-page in almost your native language)...:smile:

On 12/9/2016 at 10:51 PM, weejun said:

I do want to check out Bangkok, so I will probably stay there for a few days (2-4?). I wonder if it would be much more expensive to only order plane tickets to Bangkok as a start, and then order tickets to the next destination (Koh Samui?) a day or two before actually going there. I don't know if I will love or hate Bangkok :)

Bangkok is an amazing city and shall not be missed, but personally I've had enough after 3-4 days at a time. Air-fares depends of combination, some has a favorable price included Samui, but may not allow a stop-over in BKK.; which you can find lots of good prices for only, however February is high-season. Air-fare for Samui is the most expensive mileage in Asia, count around 5,000 baht each way, depending of travelling time and when you book at Bangkok Air's web-page. Alternatively you can choose Air Asia to Surat Thani, they offer a shuttle bus/ferry-service included in a very affordable package, but the travel time is longer due to bus/ferry; however the price can almost compete with Lomprayah bus to Chumphon and catamaran-ferry to Samui.

I've booked my ticket and now I realize I should get a local SIM card with data included. I need data access for 15 or so days.

Do DTAC, TrueMove or AIS block/prevent VPN use?

Am I correct that these are my options at the airport?

AIS: 15 days for 599 THB

TrueMove: 7 days for 299 THB, is that it? And then I need to an upgrade data package - 150 THB for 7 days or 300 THB for 10 days (449 THB or 599 THB in total then)

DTAC (or this): 15 days for 599 THB

So basically, they are all the same with the same price except TrueMove gives me a few more days?

Is it only DTAC which offers an online order, and then just pick it up at the airport on arrival (sounds faster than doing everything there)?

Edited by weejun

On 22.1.2017 at 3:27 PM, JHolmesJr said:

"I'm not at all interested in prostitutes...

…...Would not be opposed to dating thai women, of course."

Contradictory statement when in Thailand for a short time.

How so?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I found myself a coyote dancer from a place where you can't barfine the girls (at least not officially), and the dancers never remove any layers of clothing (other than that it seems like a regular "gogo-ish" bar where you do the lady drink thing and get her to sit down and maybe do a clothed lap dance or something). Not sure if or how she's trying to scam me, but I can't imagine what she would gain apart from a few meals (I bought her some lady drinks the first few times before she started hanging out with me outside work). She knows I won't give her any money or take care of her if she leaves her job, and that this "thing" will likely be over when I go back home.

Maybe she's trying to get me to knock her up (though we're only doing it protected so far), or she might be trying the fake pregnancy thing in a few month. At which point I will laugh realizing that I've taken my precautions beyond a mere rubber container, so it can't possibly be me who's the father.

So I'm enjoying my time here with this crazily hot girl. I just can't stop trying to figure out if and how she's trying to scam me, haha. "You can't take the bar out of the lady", isn't that what part of the saying goes?

Oh, and I have no real problems pulling girls in general. Not that I'm the biggest alpha male stud in the world exactly, but I'm doing OK in the ladies department at home.

And so the adventures of the Thailand newbie continue...

35 minutes ago, weejun said:

Well, I found myself a coyote dancer from a place where you can't barfine the girls (at least not officially), and the dancers never remove any layers of clothing (other than that it seems like a regular "gogo-ish" bar where you do the lady drink thing and get her to sit down and maybe do a clothed lap dance or something). Not sure if or how she's trying to scam me, but I can't imagine what she would gain apart from a few meals (I bought her some lady drinks the first few times before she started hanging out with me outside work). She knows I won't give her any money or take care of her if she leaves her job, and that this "thing" will likely be over when I go back home.

Maybe she's trying to get me to knock her up (though we're only doing it protected so far), or she might be trying the fake pregnancy thing in a few month. At which point I will laugh realizing that I've taken my precautions beyond a mere rubber container, so it can't possibly be me who's the father.

So I'm enjoying my time here with this crazily hot girl. I just can't stop trying to figure out if and how she's trying to scam me, haha. "You can't take the bar out of the lady", isn't that what part of the saying goes?

Oh, and I have no real problems pulling girls in general. Not that I'm the biggest alpha male stud in the world exactly, but I'm doing OK in the ladies department at home.

And so the adventures of the Thailand newbie continue...

They eat newbies for breakfast.  If you let them in your head, you're dead meat.

15 minutes ago, rijb said:

They eat newbies for breakfast.  If you let them in your head, you're dead meat.

Yes, I have read the horror stories. Which is why I'm trying to be careful and think about ways I could be scammed :thumbsup:

Well, I will happily ignore any mentions of pregnancies since I know it won't be mine anyway. I've also told her I've no intentions of sending a single dime across the world. So what other scams could it be? It's fascinating to try and figure this out. With all the horror stories it's easy to believe it's an attempted scam, but I just can't think of what it might be.

It's kind of weird to enjoy time with her while at the same time watching my back, haha.

Edited by weejun

10 minutes ago, weejun said:

Anything to consider or look out for if I don't think I'm falling in love, but still like her and want to have some fun while the trip lasts?

When you won't let her go...:smile:

(The weird thing is – and numerous others has confirmed it to me, when we talk about it, saying »yes, that's exactly what happened« – that one may know it's not love, but cannot give her up: trapped..!):sick:

• 2 weeks later...