First time in Thailand. Traveling alone. Where to go?

weejun

I'm thinking about going to Thailand all by myself (because hey, why not!), and I'd like some tips on places that may be relevant to me.

I'm looking for something which offers both nice hotels (AC, comfort in general, maybe somewhere to work out, go for a swim in a pool...), nice beaches, places to visit and things to see (and do), places to go shopping, and with a decent night life (partying). Something tourist-friendly would be nice for my first time there. So yeah, I guess I'm basically looking for everything in one place.

I'm not at all interested in prostitutes, so if the place isn't swimming with such professionals, that would be nice. I'm not saying that paying for sex is wrong. Knock yourself out if you like it! It just isn't for me.

I'm a single guy in my 30s, if that matters at all. I'm staying in shape and all that. Would not be opposed to dating thai women, of course. But I will probably only stay there for a couple of weeks, or up to a month at most, so it's just to get a taste of Thailand, which I've been wanting to visit for many years.

Also, any tips on what time of year I should visit? I will probably have to opportunity to visit at just about any time of the year, so should I aim for the low season to avoid getting stuck in line with a gazillion other tourists?

Edited by weejun

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Choose the wrong time of the year and you could be stuck in the rainy season.

Different areas have different rainy seasons.

Do your homework.

Thanks, yeah, I'm trying to read up on it but there's so much information out there. I guess I'll be able to figure that part out myself soon enough if I get some tips on relevant places to go. I've only just decided to set aside some of my time for this trip so I'm just getting started figuring things out.

You're worrying too much. Head for the islands and wander around before settling. Unless you are travelling at peak holiday season any taxi driver should be able to find you something like what you need. You're young and single, you'll be ok. I never book in Thailand.

I'd highly suggest to buy a guide book.  Lonely Planet or Rough Guide.  They aren't perfect, but have a wealth of info all in one place, and aren't that much money.  Or, go to your local library and get one for a few weeks.

The best weather here is from basically from December 1st until April 1st.  Rainy season is before this, and the hot season starts big time around the beginning of April.  Roughly.

If you've got a month, you'll have plenty of time to really enjoy Thailand.  Bangkok is a fantastic city and deserves at least 3-5 days.  Plenty to see and do.  Try one of the islands.  Head to Chiang Mai, where you can easily spend a few weeks checking out the city and the surrounding areas.

Another option is to check out Angkor Wat.  One of the top places in the world to explore.  Easy to fly in/out for a few days.

Here are some online resources for your to check out!

http://tezzasthaiinfo.blogspot.com/

https://www.travelfish.org/

Thailand is a country where you don't really need to do much advanced planning.  Just come here and cruise around!

'I'm a single guy no opposed to dating a girl but I'm only there for a few weeks.'

Sounds like a guy who is uncomfortable with paying a girl to stay with him.

So what attracted you to Thailand if you are asking people for holiday tips.

Dont worry the girls make it real easy and comfortable for you and if it makes you feel better you can call it compensated dating or taking care her family.

Sounds like Pattaya is the place for you.

I would first spend some time in Bangkok.... Stay near the sky train so it will be easy to get around. Hotels are fantastic deals and you can find nice ones at low prices. 

Next go to phuket or krabi for the beaches. Phuket is wilder. I like to book ahead. 

Do some research online and check out those place of interest u interested in no matter it's foods or places.. TripAdvisor, lonely planet or rough guide that craigt3365 recommended..
In bkk, stay near bts sure is a good idea but if in other provinces I prefer to drive by myself using google map as it more convenient..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

14 hours ago, weejun said:

Right now I'm trying to figure out where I should be going, and after that I'll deal with when and how and the rest. So that's basically why I'm starting off by asking for tips on suitable locations.

Deciding when you're going, or at least a few possible times of the year, would make a difference on where to suggest you go and what to expect. Coming during the low season versus the high season, during holiday periods like Songkran or when most of the country is getting heavy rains ... all things that could be checked using the Internet and Google ... would make a difference.

You have to understand that this is primarily a discussion board and not a service for tourism. That's not meant to be rude, but the questions you're asking have been asked many times before and regular posters on this board can't be expected to constantly be providing suggested itineraries every time someone asks.

There is a board search at the upper right of the page. Try searching for "nice beaches" or "4 star hotels" or whatever and see what comes up.

He sounds so sweet and innocent.

After two days in Bangkok, he will be asking the drunk sitting beside him at Nana or Cowboy.

" Can I take two girls "

Once you get here the Thai girl will take all your money. And you will be asking Mommy to send you more cash.

You will love it and will be on overstay, in love ( 10 times ) and asking how to before a English Teacher( no offense to English teachers ).

Good luck have fun,

There are many places/islands to visit,and yes,the time of year is important.You will find hotels cheap/expensive where ever you go.The only thing that concerns me,is that you say you are coming here alone.Depending upon where you go ,that may not be such a good idea.Try and make friends if you can with a couple of people,its safer traveling in two's or three's.Also,and i dont mean to be a downer,but you are new here.Trust no one.There are many plausible people here,and many people have gone missing.

Like the op said,do your home work and learn a little about the areas you wish to visit.

Bon chance.

Google and YouTube will be your friend and here are some tips to research.

If you are a pot user, make sure you had 90 days or more free from pot before your holiday. It's illegal here and they don't care if you took it legally in another country.

If it's found in your system, you're nicked.

I think that Chiang Mai would be a good center for you.

Bring an international driving license, if you intend to hire a scooter but only after a few days when you have got the hang of how crazy driving is here.

From CM, you can sign up for an all day trip to the north of Tl and you will visit the Hill Tribes, Elephant camp, Hot Springs in Chaing Rai and more. Cost maybe about 1,000Baht.

Hire a car with driver, about 5-600/half day (note: morning is half day, so is afternoon and night another half day he he) have him take you to the Golden Temple in Doi Suthep a fantastic temple and you will take many photos.

Always haggle on taxi/tuktuk price.

Never use a taxi or tuk tuk unless you have agreed a price or if there is a meter, that the meter will be used. It's normal to open a taxi door ask the price to where you want to go (point at the spot on your map LOL) only get in if you are happy with the price.

Never cause anyone to lose face.

Never lose your temper or scream at a driver....

Take care crossing any road and use a foot bridge where possible.

Don't get drunk, Merry's OK but for drunks + late night, there is often big trouble.

You need to keep your wits on alert at all times.

CM has lots of night life, bars etc but it has a smoky season because of crop burning and for a few weeks it can be a very uncomfortable place to be.

There are a few hotels that have a swimming pool if you like that kinda thing.

It has a great night market.

A Sunday market, loads of shops and great restaurants.

Once you have settled somewhere, ash what the tuk tuk price from A to B ought to be and try to haggle to somewhere that guide price.

Learn a few Thai phrases like Cap poon cap = thank you

a woman would say cap poon ca.

naam = water

There are many language websites which can help you with a tourist vocab for free. Here's one I rather enjoyed

http://learn-thai-podcast.com/blog/free-thai-language-lessons-for-your-holiday/

Around CM many Thai's will attempt to speak some English but knowing how to say How much in Thai will help you no end.

Be careful with islands like Koh Tao.

Good on you for starting to do research before traveling.

I'm sure you will have a great time.

Weejun,

What you're looking for is a place called Chaweng Beach on the island Koh Samui:

OK: nice hotels (AC, comfort in general, maybe somewhere to work out, go for a swim in a pool...),

–You'll find a variety in many price levels; around 1,200 baht a night you can stay at a resort with very nice aircoon rooms, good restautant on a nice sandy beach, pools, and beach-parties every night (fx. Ark Bar Garden Beach Resort, but there are many others)...

OK: nice beaches,

–Lots, also take a boat trip to some of the other islands and try to stay on a Coconuy Bounty Beach and just relax...

OK: places to visit and things to see (and do),

–Some fine little attractions on the island, good nature for walk and exercise, great for diving or snorkling, speedboat trip to other islands in the Marina Park, including the original "The Beach"...

OK: places to go shopping,

–Staying in Chaweng Beach, within walking distance, if not just opposite your nice resort...

OK: and with a decent night life (partying).

–Variety of discos, variety of beach-parties, International Top-name guest DJs (mainly at Cha Cha Moon Beach), live-music – not to forget the monthly Full Moon Party on neighboring island, Koh Phangan...

OK: Something tourist-friendly would be nice for my first time there.

–Very tourist friendly, and the majority of guests are young people with about same wishes as you

OK: ...everything in one place.

–Almost, the other place is called "Paradise"...:whistling:

OK: ...if the place isn't swimming with such professionals, that would be nice

–Less so-called lady-bars, however a few, than many other Thai destinations...

:intheclub:

Some more detailed info in Danish language (almost Norwegian :biggrin:) here.

Wish you good luck.

:smile:

Edited by khunPer

Possible Itinerary.

1. Bangkok - Hua Hin (by Bells Travel bus from BKK) and spend 2 or 3 nights there.

2. Hua Hin to the island of Koh Tao and spend 2 nights there (longer if you like diving 

or you want to learn?). An excellent day out is on a boat going around the island. 

Use the bus and Catermaran service from Hua Hin 

3. Koh Tao to Koh PhaNgan (my favourite Thai island, it's beautiful). Give yourself 

time to relax in the North West / Northern parts of the island, use a rented bike or 

car for 2 or 3 days to see the coastal and interior of this lovely island. If you enjoy 

a rave party time your visit to coincide with the monthly Full Moon Party in Haad 

Rin (South West of the island). I suggest a 7 night stay split over 2 or 3 hotels at 

different locations if you have the time and money (hotels are generally more 

expensive). 

4. from Haad Rin take ferry (1 hour) to Koh Samui. Near the ferry pier is Chaweng

Beach (very touristy) and the airport.

5. take a flight from Koh Samui airport to ...................? OR

6. take ferry from Koh Samui to Surat Thani and go overland to Krabi area OR 

7. take 5 above to small airport near Pattaya. Any single man needs to visit this

remarkable place at least one time in their life. Nothing else like it anywhere.

8. from Pattaya take a 1night break to nearby Koh Chang PLUS 2 nights on Ko Mak 

then return to Koh Chang for 1 or 2 nights before returning to Pattaya 

(or Bangkok?). 

9. Bells Travel bus from Pattaya to BKK (or Bangkok?). 

10. take a 4 or 5 night trip out of Bangkok to the River Kwai area, find a remotely 

located hotel near the river. A wonderful experience I had once here was to 

transfer from one hotel to my next using a river raft for my baggage and I swam

downstream for 1 hour, next to the raft. Just great and I was over 60 years old at 

that time.

11. Fly Bangkok to Chiang Mai, a nice city. Give yourself time to take a 3 night trip 

out of C.M. and go to Pai (up in the mountains and where I got married 2 years 

ago). 

There are are many towns and cities to the North of Bangkok and up towards Laos but this involves a lot of road travel so my itinerary above would be a good introduction to Thailand for a single young male with time and money like yourself.

Recommended time to visit? I would say January or February is ideal? Personally I would always pre book my hotels otherwise you spend your holiday constantly thinking about your next few nights sleep rather than enjoying yourselve and chilling out and Thailand is the best place anywhere to chill out. Pre plan then relax and enjoy a whole new experience you will surely remember forever.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm reading this with great interest.

And yes, I now realize that I'm asking something that has probably been asked to death, and this forum is more about discussion than general (newbie) travel tips. Still, great to get some tips. Even the ones where I'll probably be abducted and killed if I travel alone :laugh: (In all seriousness, safety is at the top of my mind.)

Edited by weejun

Surprise yourself, make the trip. Dont worry about safety, you are pretty safe anyware. Use common sense, dont insult people. Its a good idea to read about local culture. If you play it correctly, guaranteed unforgetable times. Its better every time you come back, because you re more experienced, you know people and places.

Edited by Moo du

I guess the rain can be a mess. But I spent July in Thailand and it only bothered me an afternoon or two.   I would worry about a string of 40°C days.   Luckily I only saw 38 a couple of days and more like 35 for my trip.   I may die at 40.  

You could use one of the various dating sites a couple months before your trip and end up with several tour guides along your trip.  I think an intelligent guy Can sort most if the chaff and sex workers out of the nice women.  

7 hours ago, weejun said:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm reading this with great interest.

And yes, I now realize that I'm asking something that has probably been asked to death, and this forum is more about discussion than general (newbie) travel tips. Still, great to get some tips. Even the ones where I'll probably be abducted and killed if I travel alone :laugh: (In all seriousness, safety is at the top of my mind.)

Your topic is perfect for this forum.  General travel advice is a perfect question here.  Safety is not that big of a deal if you keep your wits about you.  No drugs, no heavy drinking late at night, don't get into arguments with locals, avoid night buses/minivans.  Other than that, have fun!  It's a great country to explore.

If you want to see Thailand then have a look on line pick a start position then work back twds a place you pick for the last week to relax be it an island or pukhet/pattaya. use busses to get from place to place ( you will get the old chestnut oh don't use night busses they all crash. They don't been using them for years no problem and cheap mode of travel.) hotels are ten a penny in most places. Food is everywhere from overpriced restaurants  to great food at the side of the roads. I would fly to your chosen start point say chiang rai (only an example) now look on internet choose end point a week before you flight back say to relax ect. now the task is a lot easier research various points back and plan an itinerary based on your time scale you will find lots of places as bus times ect ect on google. Don't over worry things if you find a place you like and want to spend more time there just do it. That's the good thing about being on your own no hassles no ties just do as you please. Can I suggest once here don't ask what a certain place is like on here you will get even more confused trust me. If you decide on getting a visa in your home country you can get a 60 day SETV which you can extend by 30 days at a local immigration office here in Thailand. Or you can get a 30 day visa exempt stamp when you land in Thailand which again you can extend for 30 days at local Immigration. Good luck and no matter what people say enjoy yourself and don't worry.

Edited by Deepinthailand

Invariably, no plan is the best plan, it's certainly the most exciting, but coming armed with pocketfuls of info is key.......

I bought a Lonely planet when I first came, great for reference and an ice breaker on occasion with new friends....

If you go to Chiang Mai as a base up North, then you will love some of the vistas if you go to Pai and Mae Hong son, just stunning

Top tip, buy a phrase book, you will have alot of fun and you can use it every time you revisit. They do a great one in Bookazine, (branches in tourist areas nationwide) I forget the name, it is bright yellow, about 15mm think and just bigger than pocket size, about 195baht and has Thai characters on the front with speech bubbles. You will spot it easily ...........

Be careful, the Kingdom is addictive.... Enjoy...........

Hey mate,

If u dun find troublesome after a few glass and disrespect them, los is safe.. I had travel from bkk - cm - cr - cs then to issan almost all the provinces and back down to phuket all by myself with jus a guide book, GPS from my hp and a rental car.. its fun meeting the local and start small chat with them. They are the most friendly people and they will give u suggestion, where to go next, what to eat and where to stay etc.. So mate, dun worry and get ur adventure started

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

For your reference, see my earlier Post.

1. www.lomprayha.com (get the App) -

although not stated it maybe possible to use Lomprayha for travel from Bangkok to Hua Hin? OR

2. www.belltravelservice.com - Bangkok to Hua Hin or Pattaya

3. www.ferrysamui.com 

Edited by Lipboy