Nnt news

Government website

10 Media outlets news

This is the new retirement visa.

Repeat after me

I get what you're saying.

But let's break it down.

Sounds like it replaces O-A for that limited list of wealthier nations.

However, what does that mean for those nationals (and nationals not on that limited list) as far as RETIREMENT EXTENSIONS if already in Thailand?

We can probably assume the "other" nationals can still get annual extensions based on the old levels.

What about those nationals on the "rich list" already here on extensions? When they go for extension, because of their passport will they be required to apply only at higher levels?

What about getting new single O visas in Laos, for example.

Presumably still OK for "non-rich" nationals but also still OK for those on the list, and then with that could the "rich list" nationals then apply for their first annual extension based on the current levels just like those on the non-rich list?

Too many holes in this news.

Help!

ALSO of course, the HEALTH INSURANCE thing. Will that also apply to the non-rich list nationals continuing with old level extensions and also rich list nationals on old levels already here IF that is allowed?

What a mess!

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, meatboy said:

whats the GOOD NEWS we still have to do the 90day reports,and also deposit 3million bht.in the bank not for 3months but a full yr.

for 1yr.visa's and leave it there for every yr.after.

Once I had a few million baht. Wifey thought that this money would never end. But I'm still a millionaire in Lao Kip. Yeaah.

47 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

How many times do I have to post this?

The Royal Thai Government whose PM is Prayuth has an official website. On it recently posted is the cabinet meeting held on Tuesday about Long Stay Visas.

Here's the link:-

Read it.

http://www.thaigov.go.th/index.php/en/cabinet-synopsis-/item/109144-the-cabinet-meeting-on-tuesday-november-22-2016

That pretty much settles it. I will be a resident of Cambodia in my later retirement. Two years here on a paltry 87 thousand baht a month. Obviously NOT "quality" according to the Royal Thai Government.

Interesting last line to the above link: 

... as well as will be permitted to conduct volunteer work without pay.

Still needs to have the official details posted -- you cannot get the 10 year visa today as it has not been officially posted in the Gazette or whatever is the formal procedure.

1 hour ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Royal Thai Government update reads:-

Title: Extension of period of stay for Long Stay Visa

The Cabinet approved in principle on proposals made by Ministry of Public Health on the extension of period of stay in Thailand for Long Stay Visa. Ministry of Interior is ordered to issue or amend related laws to be in accordance with the Cabinet’s resolution.

Gist of the matter

Ministry of Public Health reported that

1. At present, an increasing number of foreigners aged 50 and over have been travelling to Thailand for a long stay by obtaining Non-Immigrant Visa Category O-A (Long Stay). Ministry of Tourism and Sports also reported that in 2014, top 15 countries of which the citizens have been approved for a long stay in Thailand are: England, USA, Switzerland, Japan, France, Australia, Norway, China, Sweden, Netherlands, India, Italy, Canada and Taiwan. These are tourists with considerable potentials who prefer to stay in Thailand’s tourist destinations, such as Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chonburi and other famous coastal provinces.

2. Ministry of Public Health and Ministry of Tourism and Sports have reached an agreement, at the 5/2016 board meeting of Thailand Development and Promotion on Medical and Wellness Tourism, to extend period of stay for Long Stay Visa from 1 year to 10 years for foreigners from 14 countries as follows: Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden, France, Finland, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Australia, USA, England, Japan and Canada. The requirements are as follows:

1)    Age requirement: Foreigner aged 50 or more who applies for Non-immigrant catergory O-A (Long Stay) from Thai Consulates in their countries or foreigner who travels to Thailand with other types of visa and wishes to change to a Long Stay Visa. Holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 5 years with multiple entry and granted for another 5-year extension with multiple entry.

2) Visa fee: 10,000 Baht

3) Financial requirement: Must have a bank deposit of at least 3 million baht or have a monthly salary of at least 100,000 Baht

4) Health insurance coverage: Must have with them medical insurance policy of at least USD 1,000 for OPD and USD 10,000 or more for IPD per year

5) Report to immigration: every 90 days to the immigration officer in his or her residence area

6) Others: Spouse or registered partner of the applicant aged 50 or more can request for a Long Stay Visa by providing a seperate bank deposit in Thailand or have monthly salary. Spouse aged under 50 will be granted with Non-immigrant visa catergory O, and childern aged under 21 can enter the country for education with Non-immigrant visa catergory ED. The applicant can also purchase private vehicle or condominium in Thailand with foreign funds transferred to Thai bank account, as well as will be permitted to conduct volunteer work without pay.

If I have no choice but to apply for this new visa, it's a non-starter. My wife and I would require 3 million baht each deposited or a combined monthly income of 200,000. It would also cost 20,000 baht for the visas.

They may as well tell us to leave. The people who are left will probably be lonely. Life as we know it will change.

Edited by tropo

ok, a NEW visa (for the rich)

BUT what about the OLD 1 year extensions most of us are on?

Is this still in or???????

no mention the $ needs be in bank 1 year now

also before a wife of a person on a retired extension could stay with NO ADDITIONAL funds,

now it seems if they to are over 50 they need their own funds 

Lets have a yard sale for all the new in coming Rich, before we all move on

Edited by phuketrichard

Trying to figure out where the Thai government is going with this? They already booted our countless under 50's and now they are going after the over 50's who have stability with a fixed income/pension

Real estate will take a massive hit. I have property but it's rented to a 60 year old!

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

In denial or what?

Nnt news

Government website

10 Media outlets news

Repeat after me

Seems obvious to me,

Age requirement: Foreigner aged 50 or more who applies for Non-immigrant catergory O-A (Long Stay) from Thai Consulates in their countries or foreigner who travels to Thailand with other types of visa and wishes to change to a Long Stay Visa. Holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 5 years with multiple entry and granted for another 5-year extension with multiple entry.

So, do you WISH to use the new Long Stay Visa?

Thailand Immigation:   We provide, you decide......................

Is there a link to the Thai version of that web page section? I need to send it to my fiancee so that she will understand why the wedding is OFF.  Leave it to the venal Thais to destroy lives and retirement plans of even those who are helping to prop up their corrupt economy. I won't look back once I'm living in Cambodia.

31 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Thanks.

So many of us are going to have to deal with massive UNCERTAINTY about the details of this for quite a while, eh? Isn't that special?

So anyway, those of us asking for definitive clarification about especially for current retirees from the "rich list" nations (and all others as well) it appears there really isn't ANYONE that could supply that now and we don't know WHEN anyone can do that. Just great! 

Unfortunately that’s where the trail goes cold, for now.

Permanent Secretary of the Interior Kritsada Boonrat said Thursday he had no idea when it would come into effect.

An official in the visa and travel division of the Foreign Affairs Ministry said she did not know anything either.

“The announcement didn’t include the date of when this will be implemented, so we will have to wait for them,” she said.

There seemed no clear answers as to whether the visa would be a new offering or replace existing retirement visas.

Edited by Jingthing

Seems obvious to me,

Age requirement: Foreigner aged 50 or more who applies for Non-immigrant catergory O-A (Long Stay) from Thai Consulates in their countries or foreigner who travels to Thailand with other types of visa and wishes to change to a Long Stay Visa. Holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 5 years with multiple entry and granted for another 5-year extension with multiple entry.

So, do you WISH to use the new Long Stay Visa?

Thailand Immigation:   We provide, you decide......................

Boom!

37 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

They have reporters that are ThaiVisa members. No surprise. It is also suspected that organizations like Thai Immigration routinely read the threads posted here. What better way to gauge foreigner reactions or get an idea about just how many over-stayers there are in the country (or about how some people try to dodge around the rules). They (and khaosod and other media outlets) probably have members on all the main chat boards.

20 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

ok, a NEW visa (for the rich)

BUT what about the OLD 1 year extensions most of us are on?

Is this still in or???????

no mention the $ needs be in bank 1 year now

also before a wife of a person on a retired extension could stay with NO ADDITIONAL funds,

now it seems if they to are over 50 they need their own funds 

Lets have a yard sale for all the new in coming Rich, before we all move on

That's a good point. They say a spouse under 50 will be granted a non-O visa, so she would need to renew her extension yearly, as we do now. What would be the point of getting a long stay retirement visa if your spouse needs to renew her extension every year? As it is I do them both at the same time every year so the effort would be exactly the same.

Certainly, they haven't thought this through very well.

It does indicate to me that the current retirement extension will not be replaced but run alongside the new option.

Edited by tropo

On 22/11/2559 at 9:43 PM, Spellforce said:

For the very long stay residents, don't worry too much: are you married to a thai girl ? then just change your 50 yo VISA into a marriage VISA.  (.. but more papers & controls :( )

After all why not ? The reason N°1 for your stay in Thailand is not your wife ?

Hope you're right. My wife is the main reason I live here.  :)

3 hours ago, siam2007 said:

What is wrong with those people that Thailand wants to kick them out? Ah, I forgot, the "Elite" is running the show right now, so they want to have foreign Elite too.

only paranoid Farangs come up with the idea "Thailand wants to kick out a certain category of foreigners".  :coffee1:

Edited by Naam

22 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

Is there a link to the Thai version of that web page section? I need to send it to my fiancee so that she will understand why the wedding is OFF.  Leave it to the venal Thais to destroy lives and retirement plans of even those who are helping to prop up their corrupt economy. I won't look back once I'm living in Cambodia.

That's very sad. Hope things work out OK for you both.

Stop this panic- If you are here on an extension of stay right now  for Retirement- you will be grandfathered if indeed the actual requirements change and are applied to all retirement extensions. The evidence of this is that it was already done twice before when it went from 200K to 500K to 800K. The only catch is you can't break the chain of extensions. If you want to retire in Thailand after the new requirements are in place- you have to meet them-that is IF there is a change in the police order itself. I believe the new O-A Visa will be offered to the 14 countries listed and be an option not mandated as a requirement for every person who wants to retire. Logic dictates there will still be a one year extension offered to everyone to include the non targeted countries. It sounds simply like another option to be offered to long stay people.

If you are married to a Thai- you can get an extension of 1 year by the 40K  per month/400K per year method. No change even considered.

I Have read all the news releases- English  and had a Thai native read the Thai version. The Cabinet Summary changes nothing and adds no new info but actually the English wording leaves me to believe that this is another category of Visa. You go to an Embassy in your home country and apply for the Long Stay Visa- Show the proper paperwork and get a stamp Non O- Multiple with a 10 year expiration- you pay 10,000 Baht. When you get to Swampy they stamp you in 5 years from the date you arrive. You have to visit Immigration every 90 days to report address. After 5 years you renew. It might be the only O-A Visa available.

However, one can still get a regular Non O; Tourist- Single or Multiple and extend these for retirement purposes- either for one year or 5 years. The requirements are different and the financials different due to the length of time.

In addition- if one is under 50 they can get the Elite Visa or use a combination of other visas for lengthy stays.

If you can logically prove me wrong- please go ahead.

Being an old fart I need my afternoon kip.

So apologies for only getting to page 15/53.

If this is to be a variation of the OA Visa, as suggested, then I hope that Police checks are required (for all countries lived/worked in), plus thorough checks are made on the tax paid status of the funds otherwise they will be catering to a lot of grey/black economy fundees.

Then we'll see how smug some these "rich" posters are.

3 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Stop this panic- If you are here on an extension of stay right now  for Retirement- you will be grandfathered if indeed the actual requirements change and are applied to all retirement extensions. The evidence of this is that it was already done twice before when it went from 200K to 500K to 800K.

So the past is a guarantee for the future?

I would suggest stop speaking out for a government, as if it is knowledge, while you don't know anything yet

Edited by Anthony5

Stop this panic- If you are here on an extension of stay right now  for Retirement- you will be grandfathered if indeed the actual requirements change and are applied to all retirement extensions. The evidence of this is that it was already done twice before when it went from 200K to 500K to 800K. The only catch is you can't break the chain of extensions. If you want to retire in Thailand after the new requirements are in place- you have to meet them-that is IF there is a change in the police order itself. I believe the new O-A Visa will be offered to the 14 countries listed and be an option not mandated as a requirement for every person who wants to retire. Logic dictates there will still be a one year extension offered to everyone to include the non targeted countries. It sounds simply like another option to be offered to long stay people.

If you are married to a Thai- you can get an extension of 1 year by the 40K  per month/400K per year method. No change even considered.

I Have read all the news releases- English  and had a Thai native read the Thai version. The Cabinet Summary changes nothing and adds no new info but actually the English wording leaves me to believe that this is another category of Visa. You go to an Embassy in your home country and apply for the Long Stay Visa- Show the proper paperwork and get a stamp Non O- Multiple with a 10 year expiration- you pay 10,000 Baht. When you get to Swampy they stamp you in 5 years from the date you arrive. You have to visit Immigration every 90 days to report address. After 5 years you renew. It might be the only O-A Visa available.
However, one can still get a regular Non O; Tourist- Single or Multiple and extend these for retirement purposes- either for one year or 5 years. The requirements are different and the financials different due to the length of time.
In addition- if one is under 50 they can get the Elite Visa or use a combination of other visas for lengthy stays.
If you can logically prove me wrong- please go ahead.

You're guessing. Don't act like you know for sure because you bloody well don't.

6 hours ago, i claudius said:

While i have met guys who have been ripped off ,its 99%of the time by stupid men who come here ,marry the first bar girl that says they love him and then he believes it and lavishes all his money on her , all of my friends are with wives who they have been with for donkeys years have sons and daughters in school or as in my case just left uni , my wife"owns" everything has my pin nos and has joint bank accounts with me in the UK ,i trust her with my life , to be blunt its people who post stuff like you that give Thailand and its women a bad name , you just post alarmist twaddle.

I said nothing about Thai women being a part of any of this other than they would end up with property and assets in their name with a husband who is being forced out of the country.

In fact if you read a previous post I made about this topic I mentioned that the financial hardship caused by forcing out farang husbands might intice Thai women to take out loans against that property and then lose it to banks thus explaining why this transfer of wealth is not really husband to wife but farang to Thai to the elite who would eventually be the ultimate beneficiaries of any forced removal of farangs from Thailand.  This explaining why Thai authorities might not give a damn about how its impacting families.  

So so step back your self righteousness just a step and actually read what I wrote before getting your panties in a twist.   

Sure it will soon come another one that is 25 years. Then you have to put 10 million in the bank for five years or need 300 000 a month.
Strange how you suddenly need more money per month the longer time you stay. Hmmm...maybe every month on a 10 year visa is 40 days.

2 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

Being an old fart I need my afternoon kip.

So apologies for only getting to page 15/53.

If this is to be a variation of the OA Visa, as suggested, then I hope that Police checks are required (for all countries lived/worked in), plus thorough checks are made on the tax paid status of the funds otherwise they will be catering to a lot of grey/black economy fundees.

Then we'll see how smug some these "rich" posters are.

Just woke up from mine !  :smile:

I'm quite saddened at the nasty response of a lot of people on here, who want to see people having to leave, as though they deserve it, for being on a lower income than them. One can see how England voted for Brexit & The US voted for Trump, there is way too much nastiness in the world.
I'm so glad I avoid farangs like the plague.