Good replacement for true visions?

happyas

I moved up here recently and decided when i left that i was not going to go the 'true visions' route any longer.

Now am missing certain shows that i did watch..mostly Nat Geo, Discovery, History channel type programnes.

I'm not sure what is available now a  days showing these gems, but not at the 2155 baht cost of Platinum which i had for years.

I have heard of and may look into one outfit called iLikeHD.

Any one using this and or other alternatives that have the programnes i'm interested in?

Thanks in advance for any good relevant info.

PS  not being much of a techno champ i want something easy,  i dont need streaming or anything fancy.

If something is on at the time i want to watch is good enough for me .

Edited by happyas

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Android set top box. Anything you want anytime.

Thank you, but in all honesty i have no idea what this is or how it works.

A bit of info would be appreciated.

Is this the same device as sharktooth is talking about ?#4

As i said, i'm not much good on new tech stuff [too old to start learning now]

True visions was just install by tech guys and played by me.

That i could do..any more and i'm lost.

Edited by happyas

1 hour ago, happyas said:

Thank you, but in all honesty i have no idea what this is or how it works.

A bit of info would be appreciated.

Is this the same device as sharktooth is talking about ?#4

As i said, i'm not much good on new tech stuff [too old to start learning now]

True visions was just install by tech guys and played by me.

That i could do..any more and i'm lost.

Having just gone this route myself, if I were doing it again I'd consider getting an Amazon Fire or Roku, assuming that they have content that I'm interested in.

I'd stay away from generic Android boxes and anything to do with them - i.e. Kodi etc.

You may instead want to take your chances with one of the cowboy outfits that will be mentioned here (i.e. anything that gives you lots of premium tv for a low or one-off price).

AIS just installed fiber optics in my area and with an internet package one gets a cable TV box and service.

Lots of freebies incl router and box to extend internet signal (don't know what it's called)

Also discount if changing from other service.

I don't know what channels their tv service has but might be worth checking out.

Anyone interested I'm going to give it a try in beginning of January if you want to know how I find it. 

ExpatPremiumTV has those channels plus all the Sky Sports and movies. It has OnDemand capabilty for 7 days. The servers are in Thailand so no issues there but they sometimes have glitches from their source in the UK and most of the channels are only average picture quality so you'll notice the difference from True if you have a large telly.

With the demise of pretty much every other satellite provider True are a virtual monopoly of the channels you like, and are the only way to get them in HD.

I have found that for live TV the android set top boxes people recommend are next to useless with my 13MB/1Mb internet. They simply buffer all the time and are usually 480 quality. If you can bear watching this on a large screen TV it may be OK for you.To see what you would be getting you can try FilmonTV on your PC browser and check it out..

IlikeHD is a streaming supplier that can be viewed on browser or android box. It is a legally dodgy operation, relying mostly on pirated streams, but has been around a long time. Quality is markedly variable, and periods of buffering, asynchronous sound and loss of whole channels for days at a time are common. Again though called"HD" the vast majority of channels are low quality 480p, and some that are labelled 720p are definitely NOT.  Watching NatGeo Wild on any of these after proper HD versions will make you sick...

If I wanted a proper HD TV service I would pay for True rather than upgrade my internet, as international speeds rarely change up much no matter how much you pay. However True is too expensive and  to get my fix of high quality wild life docs I just torrent...

However anybody tries to deny it, every alternative to Truevisions is streamed and therefore watchability relies on the speed of the internet, over which we have no control. If your internet goes down, you cant watch anything. At least True, despite its higher cost delivers consistently 24 hours a day. The only time True goes down is sometimes when theres very heavy rain when the satellite signal is interrupted. All the other options are cheaper, but none of them is totally reliable.

So if it rains hard in a tropical country then you may lose your signal.

Not completely reliable then!

I have used ilikehd (probably the worst but was reasonably reliable for me despite the bad reviews here).

The best i have used are Thaiexpat tv and premium, 365sports and Iviewhd and i can count on one hand in the last 2 years the problems i have with them and apart from once it was as simple as closing the app and restarting(30 seconds max or a quick refresh.

Movies and tv series should be watched from Kodi and are 99% reliable.

Live tv on kodi is another story so that is why i use the above services for sports.

I have a 25mb tot service and it serves me exellently and i live on a island so mainlanders shouldnt have many problems either.

5 hours ago, Mooner said:

So if it rains hard in a tropical country then you may lose your signal.

Not completely reliable then!

I have used ilikehd (probably the worst but was reasonably reliable for me despite the bad reviews here).

The best i have used are Thaiexpat tv and premium, 365sports and Iviewhd and i can count on one hand in the last 2 years the problems i have with them and apart from once it was as simple as closing the app and restarting(30 seconds max or a quick refresh.

Movies and tv series should be watched from Kodi and are 99% reliable.

Live tv on kodi is another story so that is why i use the above services for sports.

I have a 25mb tot service and it serves me exellently and i live on a island so mainlanders shouldnt have many problems either.

Agree about Kodi for tv & movies, usually via Exodus, although my two fav sports are golf and rugby and regularly watch them live uninterrupted with just a basic wifi package from TOT streamed via a SportsDevil link again via Kodi.

Maybe just lucky, but I would not change what I have, HiMedia box,initial one off cost of around 4K and nothing more to pay.

On 11/24/2016 at 4:25 PM, Thailand said:

Agree about Kodi for tv & movies, usually via Exodus, although my two fav sports are golf and rugby and regularly watch them live uninterrupted with just a basic wifi package from TOT streamed via a SportsDevil link again via Kodi.

Maybe just lucky, but I would not change what I have, HiMedia box,initial one off cost of around 4K and nothing more to pay.

Thanks for your input, but i need more info please regarding Hi Media box etc.

There is a few models with varying costs..which one are you using, and getting good results from please?

After googling I found that this is an android box but after buying it for 4000 what do you get in regard to programmes as i am asking about

You say "nothing more to pay"..are you getting some sort of free programming else where or does this 'HiMedia" give you this free access to a multitude of channels  eg Kodi..?

Anyone using and or can recommend ExPatTV ?

Any genuine user reviews on  ilikeHD or  Premium IPTV  [which also has been recommended by a very helpful guy by PM]

Thanks for any input, i naturally want to make the right choice the first time.

From what i've learnt so far, it appears that i'm unlikely to get the HD perfect picture as on true visions, but can live with that.

HD makes for better viewing for sure, but the content is what i'm after moreso

Thanks for your input, but i need more info please regarding Hi Media box etc.
There is a few models with varying costs..which one are you using, and getting good results from please?

After googling I found that this is an android box but after buying it for 4000 what do you get in regard to programmes as i am asking about
You say "nothing more to pay"..are you getting some sort of free programming else where or does this 'HiMedia" give you this free access to a multitude of channels  eg Kodi..?

Anyone using and or can recommend ExPatTV ?
Any genuine user reviews on  ilikeHD or  Premium IPTV  [which also has been recommended by a very helpful guy by PM]

Thanks for any input, i naturally want to make the right choice the first time.

From what i've learnt so far, it appears that i'm unlikely to get the HD perfect picture as on true visions, but can live with that.

HD makes for better viewing for sure, but the content is what i'm after moreso

ThaiExpatTV is by far the best system for UK TV that I have seen. I think it's about 6000 baht a year for the package without Sky Movies. Add the ExpatPremiumTV Sports package at 5000 baht a year and you'll have all you need (if you're me).

Movies are much better downloaded as torrents as the quality is higher than a streamed source.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

I have had Expat TV in combination with 365 sport for over a year.Despite the occasional glitch has been the best service I have had in 17 years after TRUE and CTH debacles

I like that if you are away for a few weeks/months you dont need to pay, if you do have a problem they reply to emails immediately and best of all up to 7 days for replays,especially handy for those that watch sport ,no waiting up at 2am. Web sites can help you with pricing and programs.

High internet speed is not required,we have 3 BB's lowest package at 630 b a month

• 1 month later...

Im still vacillating as I cant find a service which gives me BBC, CNN, History Channel etc in one package. They seems to offer chunks which contain half of what I want whereas TrueVisions give me the lot (however bad they are with repeats etc.) and I wish there was a  REAL alternative which gave me all their channels but I can't find one.

Has anyone tried Hollywood HD?... they are in Thai so my partner could watch... my question is do they have Thai subtitles or speak Thai?... I would like it to have both so we could both watch?... also I could not add the App to my IPad as it said the app was not available in my country?

IFLIX is an alternative for movies and series,100 THB p.m.,

you can also get 1 month trial,news channels you can find

online,BBC,SKY,Al Jazeera, RT, and FILMON has many UK channels

also free.and if you look you can find many more online,only live

sports is not easy to find. I have not had TRUE for many years,

once it was the only way to view Farang channels,but now this

is not the case,and viewers seem to be leaving it in droves,

regards worgeordie

8 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Im still vacillating as I cant find a service which gives me BBC, CNN, History Channel etc in one package. They seems to offer chunks which contain half of what I want whereas TrueVisions give me the lot (however bad they are with repeats etc.) and I wish there was a  REAL alternative which gave me all their channels but I can't find one.

https://www.liteiptv.com/channels/

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

as I say... no BBC, no ITV  has some great channels but not all the ones I like in one place and I probably won't be able to find what I want in one place

Er thats not what you said.. 

I cant find a service which gives me BBC, CNN, History Channel etc in one package.

It DOES have BBC (1 and 2, also BBC america).. It DOES have CNN, history, discovery, etc etc.. 

So other than ITV what doesnt it have ?? If ITV is vital you can simply use a VPN and the ITV app.. It streams free and on demand. 

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

Er thats not what you said.. 

It DOES have BBC (1 and 2, also BBC america).. It DOES have CNN, history, discovery, etc etc.. 

So other than ITV what doesnt it have ?? If ITV is vital you can simply use a VPN and the ITV app.. It streams free and on demand. 

ok but they are not listed