Internet banking

Gandtee

Online banking is just as safe in Thailand as anywhere back home.

It all depends on your own stupidity or common sense on how you keep your devices/computer free of viruses and such.

I use Bangkok Bank and they have good warning system for everything you do.

- Set up a new account to transfer money to, requires confirmation by phone SMS (code input)

- Transferring money to another account requires confirmation by phone SMS (code input)

Therefore unless somebody got access to your user/pwd for the online bank and has your phone, nothing can happen with your money.

On November 24, 2559 BE at 10:43 AM, georgemandm said:

What you not like it if I have my say on a  public forum and that is the truth because most thai woman want the free money 

Free money? Or is the real cost having to deal with being with someone who is mean-spiritied and holds so much hatred and resentment for them? 

And what a thing too! You have discovered and want to share with everyone that Thai ladies want money, just like Warren Buffett and Bill Gates and probably 99% of the worlds population. 

Very safe providing you follow banks Internet warnings and check bank's URL, login address each time.  Be very careful with public with-Fi.

Update virus protection on windows daily and get a good virus application on your Abdroid device.

Better to do Internet banking at home and have your own router plugged in.

I went to the Kasikorn site to open up an internet banking line and it told me "sorry, you can't do this by wifi, only 3G"... Anybody know what that's all about? Sounds weird..

47 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

I went to the Kasikorn site to open up an internet banking line and it told me "sorry, you can't do this by wifi, only 3G"... Anybody know what that's all about? Sounds weird..

Guessing its venerability over unsecured wifi - I think I set up my internet banking in person and on the ATM machine. Once you are set up, unsecured wifi isn't an issue, I think they need to set you up on a stable base.

Thai Internet banking is on the face of it, quite easy to navigate, you can change your own password and user ID.

I guess these could be hacked as any other password. The security is with the one-time-password and your mobile phone. If you forget your site password you need to present your passport in person to retrieve it. The web based system seems to be an easier system to access and navigate than my UK TSB account from what I remember which I found overly-complicated.

This might sound like overkill, but If possible, choose an ethical bank that isn't going to make itself a target of hackers that attack often for political & moral  reasons rather than personal gain.  I know 'ethical' and 'bank' don't really belong in the same sentence, but you do get the odd citizen group-win such as banks pulling out of unpopular issues (North Dakota is the most recent I've heard of).

If doing online banking then 2 Factor Authentication is a no brainer that significantly improves security (though nothing about banks is infallible).

When sending money "measure twice, cut once" - it's all too easy to get lax and press the button, only to have that sinking feeling you know you screwed up one nanosecond after the button is pressed.

As mentioned by others, ATM is probably the weakest laughably insecure thing about the system (apart from many banks having very small cash reserves, which is not exactly anti-fragile behaviour).  In my own case I lost 60K with Kasikorn which I presume was skimming the card.  I used an ATM that was outside of the nearest shop to my home rather than one installed at the bank.  The withdrawal patterns looked like those of a chancer and I knew without any further information that it wasn't me (I don't give out PIN numbers, and I was living alone at the time anyhow).  Kasikorn were very dismissive and said it must have been me.  I don't go to an ATM and draw out 1K, then 2K, 5K, 10K etc.  I just get 20K and go to the ATM less frequently, same as I fill up the scooter rather than putting 20 baht in for each journey.  I suggested that it must be on video(?).  I'm not sure if it was or not, but their response was that I would have to file a report with Police and they would cooperate with Police...but...if *they* find that it was you then they will charge you for their costs which might outweigh the amount.  I was incensed, though I just emptied the account and moved to BKK with chip & pin (still not secure, but hopefully a little better).

no personal data are safe in Thailand, be it on the internet /Thai web sites, any of your personal documents which were either copied or merely "shown to authorities" who then extracted the data. You even have to state your religion (you may lie, though...) when applying for the pink Farang ID

i have been using SCB's easy banking since they started offering it. it's very convenient and i have never lost a single satang using it. users can set a threshold, which when reached (let's say 500 baht) will send a message to the user's phone notifying him/her of the transaction. if it was an unauthorized transaction, then it can be contested. never happened to me so far. in-app or browser-based transactions, unless they're on auto-pay or auto-transfer, require 2-step authentication: 1) username & password and 2) OTP or one-time password (sent via SMS). with step 2 in place, keyloggers are rendered useless. hackers may take over an account, which is useless unless they have access to the user's mobile phone to receive the OTPs. log-in notifications are also sent via email so the user can track of any unauthorized access.

On 11/23/2016 at 6:39 PM, bubblewrap said:

I have a Bangkok Bank account and receive an instantaneous email informing me each time my account is accessed even though I spend the majority of the year in the UK.  That's pretty good security, even for Thailand.

But isn't it too late after it's been accessed,by somebody else.Maybe limit the loss if they haven't taken it all.

Regardless of security the OP appears to be from someone without computer experience and who may make mistakes by his own words.  For that reason alone would not recommend use without personal help/training and his post indicates that would not be available.  But admit I do not know him or his ability and if he decides to use (and it is actually of use) wish him every success and expect he will be fine - but again say using internet for banking is probably not something he has to do.  Most virus issues are from our own dumb mistakes - and that happens to people with computer experience as well as those without.  The banks indeed do try to make it foolproof - but there is no such thing.  In this case a wrong click could result in direct loss of funds; or at the least more headaches that it is probably worth for a senior.  Most of us do not take well to excess stress in our 'golden years'.  :smile:

Edited by lopburi3

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Regardless of security the OP appears to be from someone without computer experience and who may make mistakes by his own words.  For that reason alone would not recommend use without personal help/training and his post indicates that would not be available.  But admit I do not know him or his ability and if he decides to use (and it is actually of use) wish him every success and expect he will be fine - but again say using internet for banking is probably not something he has to do.  Most virus issues are from our own dumb mistakes - and that happens to people with computer experience as well as those without.  The banks indeed do try to make it foolproof - but there is no such thing.  In this case a wrong click could result in direct loss of funds; or at the least more headaches that it is probably worth for a senior.  Most of us do not take well to excess stress in our 'golden years'.  :smile:

Thankyou lopburi3 for one of the more insightful opinions to my question. I also thank those who took the time to add their views on the subject.

17 hours ago, Griff4114 said:

can you just go to any branch of your bank and ask for internet banking.. Bangkok bank

Believe there is an ATM option to set up if not joint account but may not work for all foreigners.  Even making application at home branch I was first told foreigners could not have - then those without work permit could not have - they then allowed joint holder (Thai) to make application but also kept mine - Hqs set up in my name without any issue. 

Re internet banking and getting it in first place with BKK bank.

Was told can't have for various reasons no WP ect ect ect. Said ok thank you close my account please will go over concourse to k bank and open account there. Ten mins later walking out of BKK bank with Internet banking in place just waiting for emails which arrived before I got home set up in minutes. Been using I banking for years now no problems what so ever fast and efficient l.

SCB introduces lately an OTP (one time password) for money transfers. That's at least better that only the username and password for login. I had to register my telephone number at a SCB branch with my ID card and Bank books.