'Back Door' In CCA Not Trojan Horse For Single Gateway, Drafters Say

webfact

'Back Door' In CCA Not Trojan Horse For Single Gateway, Drafters Say

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter -

ICT-Block.jpg

The screen that appears when users try to access websites banned by ICT Ministry in Thailand.

BANGKOK —  Those tasked with rewriting the national cybercrime law on Wednesday dismissed suspicions the process was being used to revive a project to route and control internet traffic through a single gateway.

Speaking at Parliament House, drafters said recently introduced language that would open a  backdoor for authorities to directly censor content was not part of bringing back the controversial project digital rights activists suspect is still moving forward.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2016/11/23/back-door-cca-not-trojan-horse-single-gateway-drafters-say/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-11-24

NLA defends computer crime law review
By KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN, 
JUTHATHIP LUCKSANAWONG 
THE NATION 

ARTICLES TERMED TOO SWEEPING, ALLOWING AUTHORITIES EXCESSIVE OVERSIGHT POWER

BANGKOK: -- THE COMMITTEE drafting the new computer crime law of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) acknowledged pressing concerns over Internet rights but cited the need to balance rights with cyber-crime investigations as well as national security.

Led by chairman Pol General Chatchawan Suksomjit, the committee yesterday held a special session open to the general public to solicit opinions about the 2007 Computer Crime Act that is being revised on the grounds that amendments were necessary to keep pace with the fast-paced digital sphere.

Chatchawan said the committee wanted to facilitate every party and the law should be able to protect the rights of Internet users and not give excessive power to investigating authorities, he said. On the other hand, Internet users should be careful not to violate the rights of other people, cause damage to others or undermine national security, he said.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/politics/30300706

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-11-24

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Those tasked with rewriting the national cybercrime law on Wednesday dismissed suspicions the process was being used to revive a project to route and control internet traffic through a single gateway.

I think we have been here before many times. No we are not buying submarines case closed.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Those tasked with rewriting the national cybercrime law on Wednesday dismissed suspicions the process was being used to revive a project to route and control internet traffic through a single gateway.

Yes, well, they would say that, wouldn't they...

i have been trying for several days to use Thailand as my VPN hotspot from China. but i can never get the connection to complete... I am guessing this single gate they dont have may be playing a part in it. I have never had a problem before using my vpn with Thailand or other countries while in China. 

I'm sure the General has paid close attention to what has happened in the UK in the last week.

“The passing of the IP Bill will have an impact that goes beyond the UK’s shores,” says Jim Killock, executive director of the Open Rights Group. “It is likely that other countries, including authoritarian regimes with poor human rights records, will use this law to justify their own intrusive surveillance powers.”

https://www.inverse.com/article/24034-uk-snoopers-ch

Edited by Chicog

• 3 weeks later...