Thailand's New 10-Year Visas Meet Mixed Reactions

webfact

Thailand's New 10-Year Visas Meet Mixed Reactions 

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter -

Retirement-in-Thailand.jpg

BANGKOK — Expats have expressed enthusiasm about the approval of a plan to issue 10-year visas but worry they may be of benefit to few as more details about how they would work have came to light Thursday.

Since the cabinet approved Tuesday a plan to offer 10-year visas to foreign nationals over 50, a number of have expats welcomed the news but said they were concerned about their accessibility, health insurance requirements and unaddressed shortcomings of other visa offerings.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/24/details-10-year-visas-meet-mixed-reactions/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-11-24

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What concerns him is the requirement that one must have health insurance covering hospital stays and annual coverage worth at least USD$10,000.

“I’m not sure about the compulsory medical insurance, though,” Carter said. “Never encountered a rule like this before.”

Many insurance companies do not cover at the required level, he added.

I don't get it. 10000 USD is nothing. I spent 700 000 baht in one week at Bangkok Hospital. Then, my intl. insurance is not limited to a certain amount of money.

And, how can someone retire abroad without a health insurance? That's insane.

' Should the new visa replace the existing retirement visa program, he predicts a “mass exodus of foreigners from Thailand.” '

If they'd just make an announcement that doesn't create more questions than answers there'd be less mixed reactions. 

7 minutes ago, jspill said:

' Should the new visa replace the existing retirement visa program, he predicts a “mass exodus of foreigners from Thailand.” '

If they'd just make an announcement that doesn't create more questions than answers there'd be less mixed reactions. 

The politics of this announcement is nothing different for Thailand. It's always jerk the knee first then think of the consequences and mistakes afterwards.

Edited by Brer Fox

10 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

It's always jerk the knee first then think of the consequences and mistakes afterwards.

Sort of like the creation of the EU and then the dismantling of the EU & BREXIT, the election in the US and, of course, a large number of the comments posted on TV. 

I live here for 12 years without any health insurance! 

If I go sick (never happen so fare) I go to the doctor and pay maybe $8.50

If it go serous sick, I go back to Sweden, or my wife make a BBQ in the backyard.

No company want to make a  health insurance for affordable money anyway,

I'm to old they say.lol

15 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

What concerns him is the requirement that one must have health insurance covering hospital stays and annual coverage worth at least USD$10,000.

“I’m not sure about the compulsory medical insurance, though,” Carter said. “Never encountered a rule like this before.”

I don't get it. 10000 USD is nothing. I spent 700 000 baht in one week at Bangkok Hospital. Then, my intl. insurance is not limited to a certain amount of money.

Its actually quite difficult to get health insurance here at the level required, especially of you are older. Virtually impossible if you are older and  have a pre-existing condition (such a diabetes, high BP etc). Local providers will just turn you down flat or give you such a basic package it fails to meet the requirements of the visa.  

But the white elephant in the room that really shows this hasn't been thought out properly is that part of the rational behind  this visa was to  promote medical tourism! 

In essence this is asking people who are sick / require medical treatment to get insurance with the explicit intention of coming / staying in Thailand and maxing out the insurance policy. I am sure BUPA / Allianz etc will be cringing at the thought.

Anyone meeting the financial requirements could find a much better place to retire.

Imagine setting one's self up with a residence in beautiful Krabi, only then to find yourself next to a stinking coal fired power station.

A what?

Yep. The illustrious General is killing any media discussion on the matter. He doesn't want there to be anything to upset the Thai people during this time of mourning. How convenient that is for him.

23 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

I will answer your remark re health insurance cover it depends on a few things such as age acceptability, pre existing health conditions and ones finances not everyone can afford 10,000 US$ a year 

alocacoc:  "being retired and not having health insurance is insane".

it's not the insanity part that's a problem.... in Thailand, which is where the insurance requirement comes about.... you get dropped by many Thai insurance carriers.... just for being of retirement age.  and ***outpatient*** coverage... which it looks like maybe will be in the cards down the line.... isn't really needed here... but changing a policy over a certain age.... I'm not sure the one game in town (one carrier, my carrier for more than 10 years) lets you do that and for how much.. given they know why we will be needing to. etc.

yeah, I'm not insane I guess cause I have Thai inpatient coverage.  but what about outpatient.... at age 60 or more... and do they even let you change coverages? forget international.

Edited by maewang99

The 3 million requirement is a joke.  Health insurance is a necessity and I have plenty.  At 59 you better be well covered, just in case.

My question is, will they accept an "affidavit" from your embassy that you are bringing in 100K a month.  If that's the case then no problem.  Otherwise what will they accept to prove it?

Lets no also forget that - if you take the length of time some people have lived and worked here, and paid their taxes, aren't those people entitled to use government hospitals at the going rate. They have after all paid into the system just like the natives. 

I don't see any problem with this visa as long as there are other types of visas offered like the current Retirement visa with annual extension. To exclude those who can't make the financial requirement or who don't want to buy the absurd establishment idea of 'health' insurance, smacks of gov't control and capitalism at it's worst. Many of us use the current private and government hospitals with great success, paying far less annually than a required health insurance premium and far less paper work. This goes for dentistry as well. This plan smacks of elitism and profit making. 

I came to work at a small NGO at the age of 58.  There was medical coverage but very, very basic.  If you weren't hospitalized, there wasn't any coverage at all.  At age 60, much to my surprise, the insurance ceased. The options were cost prohibitive and as many others have noted, they exclude pre-existing conditions.  And believe me, they will find a way to make everything pre-existing.  There's still no definitive information on whether this will be the only retirement visa available.  I totally agree with the post that there are other countries will be more attractive under these kind of conditions.

34 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Going without health insurance is admittedly a bit of a gamble. But remember that insurance companies make healthy profits from health insurance. That means that most insured persons don't get back what they put in. In the aggregate, the odds are with the uninsured who keep money in their pocket rather than giving it to insurance companies and not getting equal or greater value in return. Of course, the gamble lies in the fact that you may be the person that one day faces a catastrophic condition for which health insurance would make a difference. I've been taking the gambler's route for the last many years (I have comfortable savings), but it was sobering to learn that two friends this year, both in their mid-50s, needed major surgery (one brain, one colon) as the result of cancer diagnoses. They didn't gamble, and that decision paid off for them.... 

Very unclear on the 3 million baht.

How will the government stop you withdrawing any in the first year?

Is it a special account say in a government bank?

How can it be shown that money has been spent in Thailand? Keep all your receipts?

So little information yet.

38 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Easy, when you get to a certain age normally 70 plus, medical insurance for a reasonable price and cover is just about impossible. Time you take out the insurers deductibles and cover for existing illnesses there is practically nothing left to pay for any treatment. Accident insurance is about the only cover available and even that now has limitations with age. Bangkok hospital has always been one of the most expensive, much more expensive than Ram in Chiang Mai and others in Bangkok

7 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Lets no also forget that - if you take the length of time some people have lived and worked here, and paid their taxes, aren't those people entitled to use government hospitals at the going rate. They have after all paid into the system just like the natives. 

I have never worked here and ONLY used government hospital at going rate. Not 30thb but never outrageous fees. Cut my hand with a broken glass doing dishes and sewing costed less than 300thb at emergency. Including medication. 

17 minutes ago, hellstens said:

I live here for 12 years without any health insurance! 

If I go sick (never happen so fare) I go to the doctor and pay maybe $8.50

If it go serous sick, I go back to Sweden, or my wife make a BBQ in the backyard.

No company want to make a  health insurance for affordable money anyway,

I'm to old they say.lol

Like you i stay here 12 year no insurance. As and when i need something major then i will pay for the operation or whatever myself. Its not the same but it is.....my parents has washing machine insurance by the time itcwent wrong they could have bought another 2 new ones. 

4 minutes ago, Mook23 said:

I have never worked here and ONLY used government hospital at going rate. Not 30thb but never outrageous fees. Cut my hand with a broken glass doing dishes and sewing costed less than 300thb at emergency. Including medication. 

Exactly - That is how is should be. 

43 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

I agree utter madness. Name one place in Europe that will let me live there without having health coverage. The 77 year old Scot that thinks insurance is a swindle doesn't have 3 million Baht to put in the bank and is unwilling to buy insurance. lol

I have no idea why they would be concerned this man at his advanaced age would be a burden on the system at some point. Sounds like a quality guy, just what any country would want.

They should waive the insurance requirement for those unable/unwilling to buy insurance. The catch would be you have to voluntarily sign a euthanasia contract. So if you get hurt or become ill and can't afford care you consent being put down with as much ceremony as a soi dog. You would be required to have enough money permanently in an account to pay for the procedure.

5 minutes ago, helloagain said:

Like you i stay here 12 year no insurance. As and when i need something major then i will pay for the operation or whatever myself. Its not the same but it is.....my parents has washing machine insurance by the time itcwent wrong they could have bought another 2 new ones. 

Perhaps rather than 3 million being untouched, the financial requirement for those unwilling or unable to show medical insurance should be more, like self insuring. What do you think 2million more?

1 minute ago, Mook23 said:

last month i spent 48hrs.in a gov.hospital only tests done cost 13,000bht.

once again we the foreigner are the subject of the cost of proping up goverment hospitals when we see what is happening on the roads every DAY.where does the cost come from for the appalling injuries.

18killed and many injured yesterday,today another bus crash with many serious injured.

put your house in order before you start blaming everyone bar yourselves.