taxi driver did something so that the taxi fare went up by 20 baht

vistascape

5 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

some of the replies are in my opinion are missing the all important op point

he felt he was being cheated  no matter what the amount  if correct the driver  was attempting/did   cheat his customer  full stop

Well to give this a proper response.

If you get in a taxi and the driver turns on the meter you have absolutely no cause for concern in my opinion.

I've taken thousands of such journeys and never had a problem with payment of any kind.

Yes there are rogue drivers out there who want fixed fare....simply get out of the cab and hail another.

Only once have I had any issue....and the guy was simply off his head on yaba or some other drug....anyway we got where we were going OK even in that case.

Its only 20 baht That is what you are all saying but that is  Half a buck 55 cents or so 

He was charging you extra the meters can do this but it is illigal One driver tried that on me and I told him to F off and I would call the police

He backed down 

Old scam Just dont pay it next time and learn to speak Thai it helps 

8 hours ago, siam2007 said:

Of course you haveisto pay the tollway charges arealys a PAX. Thatclunis normal. If there was a need to actually take the tollway is another question, but if coming from Swampy, there is usually little chance to avoid tollways. And yes, a 50 Baht fee has been added to the meter fare since decades. But you were right to refuse a flat rate. Everyone can easily report drivers to the transport authority, and the more people do this, the better.

Ok but for serious matters...not a doubtful situation of maybe 20 baht...

are not 20 euro or 20 us$.

In my country a taxi start with 20€uros (760 bt) and ends with who knows how much. From an airport to downtown you need 150 euros nearly 6000 baht...here u spend 300 baht Including highway toll (abt 8 euros) and 20 baht Is realy nothing...

I read a lot of complaining about BKK cabs on TV (and similar forums).

I am taking taxi a lot, a lot, and often over fairly long distances (like 300-400-500 baht a trip).

My experience is pretty good. Never experienced any rip offs (that I know of). Rarely problems with cabbies.

Careless driving is rare in my experience.

My biggest "problem" is that I know BKK and surroundings (including shortcuts and low traffic streets) quite a lot

better than most taxi drivers. Can, now and then, take some time to convince them to drive where I want to drive.

Occasionally I have to bring it down to: You want money or you dont want money? Before they follow my directions.

All in all, quite happy with taxis in BKK and surroundings.

Happened to me several years ago from the airport. The driver was insisting on 400 which was over the top and I was insisting on the meter. I was shocked to see the meter change speed after getting in the toll way it was clicking over every second and i paid 450 baht.

now i have an estimation that i follow. it goes like this.

10km --> ca 100 baht

20 km --> ca 200 baht

30 km --> ca 300 baht

i took a taxi from phuket airport (30 km) and the fare stopped at 600 something which is WRONG. that was the first and hopefully last time i get into that scam. rigged meter.

the problem is, when they trick one other, they pretend to speak even less english. this is too much for me and makes me give up sometimes...

Edited by vistascape

On 25-11-2016 at 0:40 PM, Roota said:

Rigged meters used to be very common here. My standard approach was to see how far he'd try to push it, then laugh and say we've got to see what's wrong with your meter, turn right up here and pull into Lumpini (or whatever) police station. Nine times out of ten he'd then agree to turn the meter off and accept a reasonable fare to where I was going. Only a couple times were they silly enough to go to the station, in which case I'd roll down the window and start calling for a cop. Those trips were free.

So I almost miss rigged meters. Last one in Thailand was easily ten years ago. Last one in Manila ... last month.

Years ago i took a taxi from Swampy and the guy was obviously trying to rig up the meter, there were wires all over the dashboard coming out of the meter going to the switches at the steering wheel. He just hadn't finished it yet.

Last month i took a taxi from Don Muang and thought i paid the fair price by meter, last week i took the same ride and it was 100 baht cheaper, same distance and  not busy on the roads.

So i suspect there are still rigged meters being used. Also i don't understand the 50 baht airport surcharge at all if there's only 1 passenger without luggage to be transported. Even more when the passengers at the airport even have to wait long for a taxi and the driver can't speak english and even doesn't know the road to the destination.

Edited by fruitman