What can a person expect renting a house at 5,000 baht a month?

Scouse123

Hi,

I have a European style house built with three bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen plus living room. The kitchen is basic to be fair.

The living room has a three piece suite and one bedroom is fully furnished. There is also private parking in an enclosed yard which is secure.

It is in North East Thailand and on private land with access to our large main house via a walkway. Wi FI will be free as will water as we have our own well.

There is an old Style TV but no True or cable which I am not paying for. Electric will be at cost with its own meter. My question to TV members is what is realistically expected from us to provide as landlords? I wish to rent to foreigners and have three interested in it. I don't want to be going out and buying fancy bedding and flat screens etc at such a cheap rent. Any sensible answers appreciated.

I

I

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For 5k absolutely nothing at all. Seriously. Zero furniture & appliances etc. You already have more than needed with the 3 piece and bedroom and free wifi and all that. 

Everything else like True, Water, Electric, etc, is on the renter. Seriously 5k for a 3 bedroom basic thai house with some furniture and free wifi is a steal. 

Get a deposit that will surely cover damages to furniture and a full months electric bill, rent, water, and if the renter wanted to install Air Con get a couple thousand more in the deposit for damages. 

At 5k I would ask for at least a 10k deposit + rent. 

As far as True, don't use your tabien or your wifes tabien baan/ID for it. Dont put anything in your name that you don't have to other than electric and water. 

Consumables like light bulbs, lawn maintenance etc on the renter. Broken sink/water pipes etc on you if you want it done without any complaints to quality, otherwise everything on the renter. 

Anything you do above and beyond is good for the renter but at 5K I would keep it 'as is' so all you have to do is collect your 5k and deliver water/electric bills and collect that money too. 

Thanks guys,

I thought I was being fair. It is 1 mile from the town centre so they will need some form of transport but the local hospital is about 500 metres away and in the town we have SCB and KTB banks. We also have a Big C and Tesco express as well as plenty of 7-11s and actually quite a reasonable amount of nightlife for a small town.

The house is in excellent condition.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Since you intend to rent to foreigners, ask them what they want, offer a rental price with that included or offer them the choice of buying it themselves.

Ensure you itemise everything in the house including curtains and fittings and have a replacement cost shown in a schedule to the contract.

12 minutes ago, JerryinTH said:

A house for 5,000 baht? My electricity bill is around that for a 1br condo in Bangkok. 

I´d love to ask how you can rack up such a bill but then this thread would just turn into yet another "but I pay much less/more than you do" tirade by tens of TV members. So I better shut up now....

;)

34 minutes ago, DUS said:

I´d love to ask how you can rack up such a bill but then this thread would just turn into yet another "but I pay much less/more than you do" tirade by tens of TV members. So I better shut up now....

I have a 3 bedroom 2 bath indoor kitchen for 5k baht a month in Surin Province but I rent from an awesome English dude and have been for 2 years. No deposit, just the house, no furniture, and I do all the upkeep, repairs, and I've done a few upgrades to the place that he gets to keep free when I move out. We have an understanding thats mutually beneficial. 

3 Aircons, 12k BTU, 18K BTU, 18K BTU, Big Fridge, 60" LED TV, 4k watt hot water heater, ceiling fans, the whole deal. I just paid my electric bill yesterday - 5,460 Baht. 

I don't even try to go native its hot as balls. 

50 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I thought I was being fair. It is 1 mile from the town centre so they will need some form of transport but the local hospital is about 500 metres away and in the town we have SCB and KTB banks. We also have a Big C and Tesco express as well as plenty of 7-11s and actually quite a reasonable amount of nightlife for a small town.

If someone is going to rent a place in the boonies for a longish period of time they are gonna need a motorbike at least. Hell a decent second hand Mio is like 20-25K or a little wave even cheaper. 

You are being more than fair, just realize that people are screw ups when its not their junk they have take care of. Just be sure to cover your ass real good with the deposit and contract/inventory/walkthrough. "Before" Pictures are a good idea also. 

Just don't be too 'lordy' to push people away lol

17 minutes ago, Strange said:

I have a 3 bedroom 2 bath indoor kitchen for 5k baht a month in Surin Province but I rent from an awesome English dude and have been for 2 years. No deposit, just the house, no furniture, and I do all the upkeep, repairs, and I've done a few upgrades to the place that he gets to keep free when I move out. We have an understanding thats mutually beneficial. 

3 Aircons, 12k BTU, 18K BTU, 18K BTU, Big Fridge, 60" LED TV, 4k watt hot water heater, ceiling fans, the whole deal. I just paid my electric bill yesterday - 5,460 Baht. 

Dose it have covered car park?. 

5,000 is the price it is worth but being out of town you would not get more , rent here is very cheap in issan that is .

some one I know rents in surin thailand in town big home with pool for 6,700 a month and that is in the middle of town .

the rent returns for homes in most of issan are just very low .

because most Thais rent rooms and if you are lucky to get a   Foreigner you are doing well , so if you have someone  interested take them on but make sure you get  two months rent upfront  .

and do 3 months  inspections then 6 months and then 12 months.

You have 3 people interested, pick the one you  feel comfortable with,

explain what the rent covers and what it does not,put in in a contract,

take 2 months security deposit,and first months rent, move now before

they change their mind,its getting harder to find Farang renters now, I

would never rent to Thai's again,too much trouble and problems.

regards worgeordie

29 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Dose it have covered car park?. 

5,000 is the price it is worth but being out of town you would not get more , rent here is very cheap in issan that is .

some one I know rents in surin thailand in town big home with pool for 6,700 a month and that is in the middle of town .

the rent returns for homes in most of issan are just very low .

because most Thais rent rooms and if you are lucky to get a   Foreigner you are doing well , so if you have someone  interested take them on but make sure you get  two months rent upfront  .

and do 3 months  inspections then 6 months and then 12 months.

6700 is kind of a weird number lol but hey. 

I can say this, Ive been in Surin province for over 8 years and in the area I live in (not surin town) you will not, at all, find a 3 bed 2 bath detached home with a perimeter wall for 5k or even 10k. 

The places that I did find attractive before, were like 10k+ and the Thai owners wanted a 40k deposit + 2 months rent. Honest to god. 

Usually the 3-4-5K places are Thai style 'rooms' or crappy townhouses. 

It really is hard to find an actual detached 3 bed 2 bath house in any reasonable area for 5k a month. 

1 hour ago, Strange said:

You are paying the right amount for surin that price is nominal your rent .

and your power bill is nominal, my friend has a big home out side surin and pays more for power then you like about 10,000 a month but big home lots of water pumps has pool and big garden to water.

i said on here 2 months ago it was a lot of money for thailand power  compare to Australia and was run down for saying it was  expensive .

so now I not say much on Tv to many , not say what I want to say .

1 minute ago, georgemandm said:

You are paying the right amount for surin that price is nominal your rent .

and your power bill is nominal, my friend has a big home out side surin and pays more for power then you like about 10,000 a month but big home lots of water pumps has pool and big garden to water.

i said on here 2 months ago it was a lot of money for thailand power  compare to Australia and was run down for saying it was  expensive .

so now I not say much on Tv to many , not say what I want to say .

Screw them. Probably because english isn't your first language so the jerks attack any weakness they see. 

Thailand electric is expensive. At least compared to the USA. 

I think OP will do good with his 5K rental. 

32 minutes ago, Strange said:

6700 is kind of a weird number lol but hey. 

I can say this, Ive been in Surin province for over 8 years and in the area I live in (not surin town) you will not, at all, find a 3 bed 2 bath detached home with a perimeter wall for 5k or even 10k. 

The places that I did find attractive before, were like 10k+ and the Thai owners wanted a 40k deposit + 2 months rent. Honest to god. 

Usually the 3-4-5K places are Thai style 'rooms' or crappy townhouses. 

It really is hard to find an actual detached 3 bed 2 bath house in any reasonable area for 5k a month. 

You can live here as long as you like but I put it from us $ to thai  bht and it works out to around 6700 could be a little more but not much more .

someone I know is paying it now .

i been going to that s??t hole surin for 7 years and if you are to pay more then 10,000 are month you need your head read.

34 minutes ago, Strange said:

Screw them. Probably because english isn't your first language so the jerks attack any weakness they see. 

I can say this about you is one more smart?

Edited by georgemandm
Spelling

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

I can say this about you is one more smart?

You can say anything towards me if you feel like it. I will not attack you or report you. 

I am defending you and your opinion. I might have been wrong in assuming your first language - but it was not an insult to you.

I am not other posters. I agree with you. 

43 minutes ago, Strange said:

You can say anything towards me if you feel like it. I will not attack you or report you. 

I am defending you and your opinion. I might have been wrong in assuming your first language - but it was not an insult to you.

I am not other posters. I agree with you. 

Ok

When I first came here  (4 years ago) I rented a 2 bed townhouse for 3,500. No furniture included. For 5 k a month I would expect the same. As a landlord I would expect you to replace or repair the air con units, the showers and the water pipes. Anything else is up to the tenant to sort out. But as its your place its your rules.

4 hours ago, georgemandm said:

You can live here as long as you like but I put it from us $ to thai  bht and it works out to around 6700 could be a little more but not much more .

someone I know is paying it now .

i been going to that s??t hole surin for 7 years and if you are to pay more then 10,000 are month you need your head read.

That's not a nice thing to say about Surin

Its a lovely place

To drive through  :whistling:

Show the property as is with a firm price and don't worry what tenants expect as they probably don't know either.

No worry if they accept.

Be sure to have them sign a rental contract.

If there are maintence complaints and they are handy, suggest they do the work with a slight reduction in rent.

just for comparison:  I have rented a 3-bedroom (all with aircon), 3-bathroom (all with hot water heaters), for the past 4 years, fully furnished modestly (TV, bedding, pots and pans, dishes, utensils, etc.) in rural Chiang Mai area (10miles from the city)  for 7000 baht per month plus 300 baht per month for maintenance......this was a real bargain!...even Thais thought so!...probably u can get more for your house...

5 hours ago, Strange said:

present electricity price Deltona, Florida where we lived for 15 years is USD 0.104 = 3.69 Baht = no big difference.

The average residential electricity rate in California is 15.34¢/kWh, which ranks 8th in the U.S.

California 5.47 Baht = much more expensive than Thailand.

in my home country 27.5 c€nts = 10.3 Baht  :shock1: