Train Bkk To Chiang Mai

lotus eater

I'm going away for xmas and will return early in the new year, but am unsure of the precise date. I'm thinking of taking the overnight train back to CM.

Could I have a problem with buying a ticket at Bkk station - on the day, or if necessary a day or two ahead?

Is there 1st class compartment with attached loo available for single occupation, or must one share it with a stranger?

Can I buy or reliably reserve a ticket on the internet - once I am surer of my dates?

Would appreciate any info or comments on these queries

Definately need to book in advance for second class air. Not absolutely necessary for Ist class. But probably best anyway.No attached toilet but a shrared one with a few other compartments. If you book a first class compartment there's always the possibility that you'll have to share. I don't think that you can book online directly.

I'm going away for xmas and will return early in the new year, but am unsure of the precise date. I'm thinking of taking the overnight train back to CM.

Could I have a problem with buying a ticket at Bkk station - on the day, or if necessary a day or two ahead?

Is there 1st class compartment with attached loo available for single occupation, or must one share it with a stranger?

Can I buy or reliably reserve a ticket on the internet - once I am surer of my dates?

Would appreciate any info or comments on these queries

Being peak season you might have a problem buying the tickets on the day(espeically a 1st class ticket).Also safer to get them a couple of days before hand.

I think a 1st class ticket from bkk to CM is about 1300 BHT and im 99% sure you cant get a single compartment.The compartments have one bed(large seat) and another fold down bed above.If you wanted the compartment for yourself you would ahve to pay for both beds :o About 2600BHt

I dont know about the internet.Sorry.

Hope that helped a bit.

i have taken first class from bkk to surat a couple of times. i had the whole compartment to myself each time. i dont know if this is simply because there were no females looking for first class tickets, or if thais dont like to share with someone they dont know.

having said all that, you should really book early. seats fill up very fast.

you need to book at least one week in advanced. You can call and book over the phone but then you must pay for your ticket by 5 pm the following day. You can pay for your ticket at any train station that has a ticketing office.

The toilets are no different than sharing a toilet on a plane. Or on a high speed train in europe for that matter. If you are worried, then don't eat or drink anything before you leave or while on the train.

OR... just fly back.

For what it is worth, second class with a bunch of strangers isn't really that bad. People tend to be friendly.

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful replies.

Given that I'll only know my actual return date - it'll be around the 9th Jan - a few days in advance, my best course of action seems to be 1) try to book/buy with credit card online (thanks for the website, tywais) as soon as I know my date, and :o if that proves impossible try to book something reasonable when I get in to Bangkok - and accept a couple of days in there if necessary.

Based on the comments I won't hesitate to take the 2nd class a/c if necessary or if the price difference is huge. (Are the bunks/couchettes in 2nd ok?)

Thanks again.

I think a 1st class ticket from bkk to CM is about 1300 BHT and im 99% sure you cant get a single compartment.The compartments have one bed(large seat) and another fold down bed above.If you wanted the compartment for yourself you would ahve to pay for both beds :o About 2600BHt

We took the sleeper cars down to Chumpon (pretty much the only comfortable way to get down there after Air Andaman went kaputt) recently for 1500 Baht a piece. We had three in our party and the additional first class compartment bunk was only 300 Baht to keep the seat/bunk unoccupied. I'd assume that the Bangkok - Chiang Mai route would have a similar policy.

:D

... and the additional first class compartment bunk was only 300 Baht to keep the seat/bunk unoccupied. I'd assume that the Bangkok - Chiang Mai route would have a similar policy.

I'll have to check on this the next time I am at the train station. The SRT used to have a policy under which passengers could book a first-class cabin as a single for an additional fee, then they stopped allowing it. Maybe the SRT brought back that policy, or perhaps it is allowed on certain lines, particular trains, etc.

Not 100% but i'm sure i've read that in 2nd class A/C you can specify the bottom bunk for a slightly higher price. Apparently its slightly wider & generally more user friendly.

I've traveled BKK - Surat in 2005 with a girl friend in 1st class. On the way down she had to share with a Thai Lady & myself with a Thai man. (I'm English for those who don't know where Lancashire is).Even though the tickets were purchased through an agent in Pattaya a few days in advance. We were able to share on the way back. Having seen the 2nd class A/C, if i was traveling alone that would definately be my choice. Cheaper & i'd i'd be bored to tears sat maybe alone in a 1st class compartment all the way.

Another tip: if u do go 1st class, take your coat... they are very cold!

"Not 100% but i'm sure i've read that in 2nd class A/C you can specify the bottom bunk for a slightly higher price. Apparently its slightly wider & generally more user friendly."

Yeh,its wider and blocks out a lot more light.Normally about 10-15% more expensive.I'm never to fussy to be honest.Both upper and lower are comfotable enough to sleep on.I always find that the worst seats are the ones nearest either end of the carriage.People constantly opening those sliding doors till the early hours can be really annoying.Although nowhere near as annoying as some elderly thai bloke snoring!

One question lancashirelad,why were you and your GF seperated?? Thats really strange?

'People constantly opening those sliding doors till the early hours can be really annoying.Although nowhere near as annoying as some elderly thai bloke snoring!'

Now that is something I can vouch for. Even the opening/closing doors and connecting/disconnecting carraiges AND starting & stopping wouldn't wake that bloke up!!

The other thing the bottom bunk has over the top one is room to sit up in bed if you want to read or something, but other than that theres no comfort difference, Jonson is right about the top bunk letting more light in but if you can get one of those sleep mask things that cover your eyes its no problem at all. Oh and some ear plugs for snorers!!

Not 100% but i'm sure i've read that in 2nd class A/C you can specify the bottom bunk for a slightly higher price. Apparently its slightly wider & generally more user friendly.

Unless the SRT has recently jacked up the surcharges, the price differential between lower and upper berth is 70 baht.

The second-class lower berths are only wider on certain types of coaches, namely those used on the Nakhon Ping on the Bangkok/Chiang Mai route and the International Express on the Bangkok/Butterworth route.

You'd better buy 'em soon. I went a couple of years ago for new years and I couldn't get a ticket even about 1 week in advance. Train tickets to CM book VERY early for the NYE period. Don't delay getting one...

Edited by ashacat

• 5 weeks later...
One question lancashirelad,why were you and your GF seperated?? Thats really strange?

because there was the Thai man traveling alone & the Thai girl, also alone (actually, she didn't board until somewhere further south, well into the night) so they put the guys together & the girls together. This would be quite normal for many forms of travel around the world (except Philippine ferries!) where sleeping arrangements are concerned. It really didn't bother us. The Thai guy was a respectable business man who spoke reasonable English , so we were able to chat nicely. In the morning my g/f came to our cabin & chatted with him. He then asked us to go & visit him & his wife at his house. What a kind gesture, typical Thai! Sadly, we didn't have time.

Lotus, are you back today? How did it go?

Edited by Lancashirelad

When my girlfriend-at-the-time (now wife) booked two tickets on 1st class from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, she had to book tickets for two women in the compartment. I got the impression from her that this was the rule for unmarried travelers. The agent wasn't very familiar with foreign names, or didn't care, so my ticket indicated my name and "woman". I scratched out the "wo" on the ticket, we got into our compartment, and nobody said a word about anything.

So apparently there is no overt check on this except at the time of booking.

This is just my individual example and I couldn't say how pervasive the "married" check is or if it is still being done.

kenk3z

... and the additional first class compartment bunk was only 300 Baht to keep the seat/bunk unoccupied. I'd assume that the Bangkok - Chiang Mai route would have a similar policy.

I'll have to check on this the next time I am at the train station. The SRT used to have a policy under which passengers could book a first-class cabin as a single for an additional fee, then they stopped allowing it. Maybe the SRT brought back that policy, or perhaps it is allowed on certain lines, particular trains, etc.

From their website, last update 3-Jan-07, the fee is also 300 THB on Bangkok - Chiang Mai route on Special Express Train (#1).

From their website, last update 3-Jan-07, the fee is also 300 THB on Bangkok - Chiang Mai route on Special Express Train (#1).

Both the Thai and the English versions of the SRT website bear this out (although it's a little hard to follow on the English side). It wouldn't surprise me if this policy were (re)instituted due to competition from the low-cost airlines. It certainly wasn't in effect a few years back when I was a very frequent traveler on the SRT trains.