I'm back (i lasted 3 weeks)

cheapskatesam

2 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Something doesn't add up. Australia has very good welfare and air aisia often do dirt cheap one way fares, he would even get emergency money on day one from social security.
Sounds like he has mental health issues to me. He would be better off reporting himself for overstay and getting fed in jail whilst waiting for deportation. Maybe something yo could mention to him

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Welfare-the bane of human society.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

Not much but at least a toilet with a flush.. the place i looked at had a bucket of water.. and a little ladle inside.. repulsed me...

That's posh for 4k a month. 

Anyway fair play to the OP, he quickly cottoned on to the fact that he was going to live a miserable existence in BKK on his available budget, promptly spunked his money on a good time and legged it back to Blighty to regroup.

I'm going to assume the OP is a fairly young man but he's definitely got balls and is learning fast. 

Better luck next time and I'm sure you now know that cash is king to live in a modicum of comfort.  TIT.

I'll tip my hat to you for your courage, BTW.

11 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Something doesn't add up. Australia has very good welfare and air aisia often do dirt cheap one way fares, he would even get emergency money on day one from social security.
Sounds like he has mental health issues to me. He would be better off reporting himself for overstay and getting fed in jail whilst waiting for deportation. Maybe something yo could mention to him

Yeah I do not know whats up. I don't ask, none of my business. I just see him on and off through the week digging in the trash and walking around at night. He wears the same clothes as well and rides a scooter to the condo. I suspect he must be an overstay and off the grid. 

1 minute ago, JAFO said:

Yeah I do not know whats up. I don't ask, none of my business. I just see him on and off through the week digging in the trash and walking around at night. He wears the same clothes as well and rides a scooter to the condo. I suspect he must be an overstay and off the grid. 

do the guy a favor and report him to immigration...............hhehe.

33,000 baht is enough........

7k decent studio room

9k food

550 per day pocket money.

Get a push bike for transport and a hobby to keep you busy during the day, say photography (any old camera will do). Learn Thai.

Six pack of beer and a movie at home at night with the missus.  Pub once a week.

Enjoy yourself and don't get stressed as long as you and her are happy forget what everyone else thinks.

33k is what most foreign teachers live on here as do most of the Bangkok Thai office workers I know.

More money helps of course but I also know quite a few miserable richer people who clearly aren't enjoying themselves like they could be.

Most of all have fun and don't take things or other people too seriously.

Good luck

Just now, cheechee said:

do the guy a favor and report him to immigration...............hhehe.

Naaaah. None of my business. He is a nice enough guy trying to make a life of it. At least he is working.

1 hour ago, rhodie said:

Not sure where you lived, but I rent a 38 sqm secure furnished aircon studio with balcony 2 mins from skytrain that is a 15 min ride to Asoke for 4900 a month. Very nice building with security and no crap. I could go cheaper, because there are plenty out there but I am happy with the place I have. Some guys need 2 bedrooms minimum and that is OK for them. So if you do a bit of hunting there are places like that everywhere.

I stayed still in the center (Sathorn Area). when you say 15 minutes to Asok, mean about 8 stations away... 13 years ago the skytrain stopped at On Nut... I think you stay little bit further. But of course if you go further away.

About the prices of the cheap good condos i am not up to date. And yes I think if you go further direction Bang Na / Bang Wa then you can find cheaper condos.

You are also right about what a good condo is. Some think a good condo needs at least 150m2, other needs at least sealed aircon, .... everybody is different. And because of this it's mostly difficult to talk about how much money someone need to survive or to life.

Easy enough to live on, I have 800 Euro a month for myself and "she who must be obeyed"... Have my own gaff though, so no rent. Wouldn't pay too much attention to the " highflyers" on here. 

Yep. The same high-flyers who say it's impossible to live on 30k a month then cry in another thread about 3m pension requirement for a hassle free 10 year visa.

Hilarious.

32 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Have you ever been to Thailand!

Oh here we go... WHY do you think I made the remark in the FIRST place? 

I have no quarrel with guys who pay to play, I AM one, and I also get by very well with a 'mea' that does not charge like a wounded bull for the co-habitation! Didn't some other guy mention getting a sino/thai lady of means? Yeah, something like that might be close to my set-up.

But if the hat fits, wear it.

Is there a reason to be in bangkok? It makes living on a budget hard as there are too many things to tempt you.

I would maybe stay around pattaya as its cheaper or maybe an island as theyre less temptations.

30 k is very possible but you need to get out of holiday mode and live like you do at home.

Earing western food at restaurants and drinking at high so bars are the things that take your money in Bangkok.

I would stay somewhere else and buy a bike or maybe rent one monthtly 3500 where i live. 

Going out in bangkok can end up costing you 10000 or more but where i live i would struggle to spend over 2000.

Travel around and find a place you like then asses the situation again.

2 hours ago, freebyrd said:

Perhaps living frugally resulted in.......if he hasn't been heard from in a while? or it all became too much and he returned from whence he came? Why come to Asia to live on the edge? I don't see the point.

I can only speculate on his motives for coming here to live on a tiny income (I gather it was a pension and it really was minimal), but nevertheless he did. Most importantly, he did it with a certain amount of style and great enjoyment, and he was very pleased to relate his experiences (oh those train trips!!!) which I loved to read. So his motives really aren't an issue, just his great love of life and making the best out of what he had. I envy him his joie de vivre and positiveness. The last I heard he was back home, wherever that is. 

in bangkok good apartments and condos can be found at sensible cost but takes a lot of walking to find them in areas you like.

I had a condo in silom for 8K. decent apartment in ratchada near fortune town for 5,500, had a big older room in bangkapi for under 3k (no aircon) . Prices vary a lot and if can't speak half decent thai good rental deals are harder get.

40K a month covers a lot here if you thrifty and don't overpay for everything or have expensive beer/smokes or hooker habits .

21 minutes ago, dhream said:

Oh here we go... WHY do you think I made the remark in the FIRST place? 

I have no quarrel with guys who pay to play, I AM one, and I also get by very well with a 'mea' that does not charge like a wounded bull for the co-habitation! Didn't some other guy mention getting a sino/thai lady of means? Yeah, something like that might be close to my set-up.

But if the hat fits, wear it.

Why do people with spurious arguments always start their rebuttal with, "Oh here we go"? Is it an attempt to gain traction, something akin to taking a literary deep breath or is it like revving a motorbike to demonstrate its power, dunno.

2 hours ago, freebyrd said:

Perhaps living frugally resulted in.......if he hasn't been heard from in a while? or it all became too much and he returned from whence he came? Why come to Asia to live on the edge? I don't see the point.

The point is that living on the edge in LOS is better than trying to live on a pension back where I come from. The pension is barely enough to rent a place to live, never mind eat and go to the Dr. if one is on their own, the room one can rent in LOS is way better than the dump I would probably have to live in if or when I go back permanently.

The only thing that makes me even think of going back is that insurance is the killer here, if I could even get it at my age.

16 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Why do people with spurious arguments always start their rebuttal with, "Oh here we go"? Is it an attempt to gain traction, something akin to taking a literary deep breath or is it like revving a motorbike to demonstrate its power, dunno.

Still clueless? Figures.

18 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Yes another as expected response must do better. Pay your woman a bit more she might help you write a decent response. after all you couldn't expect a western woman to even look at you according to your post.

I could resort to following your supercilious, and as yet, still undefended first effort, but it's pretty piss poor, and the dull wit you are so proud of is getting tedious. Any chance of saying anything meaningful at all today? Or ever?

13 hours ago, cheapskatesam said:

seems excessive.. even when i'm in holiday mode i struggle to spend 2000 baht.. most days its less than 1000 baht with a spluge at the weekend partying. and im not a cheapskate on holiday

But its 1000 baht for a bonk ! You must be a willy wonker !   And at least 1200 for a cheap hotel.  You splurge at the weekend do you ? Have a party with 2 bottles of beer.  You must have a very lonely holiday reading books.

15 minutes ago, dhream said:

I could resort to following your supercilious, and as yet, still undefended first effort, but it's pretty piss poor, and the dull wit you are so proud of is getting tedious. Any chance of saying anything meaningful at all today? Or ever?

More dross you just can't help yourself can you never mind on day you will learn

l needed 2904 baht to get stitched up and 740 baht to get the motorcycle fixed. And they threw in an oil change and a new spark plug. And the taxi ride to the hospital was 60 baht.

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

see what you will need if you have a motorbike accident and end up in hospital.

12 hours ago, tonray said:

Even if you rented an apartment at 6500 baht, that leaves with with more than 25,000 baht for food/utilities and extras. Easily doable.

Easily doable?

How about enjoyable?

As your life, not just a week of suffering.

What happens when something crops up. Or a few things.

It simply isn't decent to advise that it is okay and easily doable. It is a sad state of affairs for the desperate.

6 hours ago, mcfish said:

Pattaya is still one of the cheapest places in the world especially if you like to drink. You can go to a fantastic sea view location like the beer garden and drink 50 baht tiger draft all night long

i think, sihanukville in cambodia is now the cheapest place, if you like to drink beer on the beach, watching the people walking by,  sitting in a comfortable lounge chair, and listen to good chill-out musik, 1 glass angkor for 50 cents, (it is brewed here in sihanukville) around 17 baht. barracuda steak with everything 3 dollar. hotels cheaper than thailand. i was there last week.

43 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:
13 hours ago, tonray said:

Even if you rented an apartment at 6500 baht, that leaves with with more than 25,000 baht for food/utilities and extras. Easily doable.

Easily doable?

How about enjoyable?

As your life, not just a week of suffering.

What happens when something crops up. Or a few things.

It simply isn't decent to advise that it is okay and easily doable. It is a sad state of affairs for the desperate.

I think you are both right.  Yes its doable but one would have to think it would be a short term plan.  As Happy Grumpy says "Things" pop up and if the individual is living on the financial edge that could be all it takes to send one under water. It all sounds so easy at the start, especially if ones plan is the have cheapest living arrangements so they have more free cash for booze and hookers. However after that rush is over and one sobers up ( if they do) reality sets in and that little box they live in isn't so nice anymore. I would believe boredom sets in and for some depression. When they realize they do not have funds to really going anywhere or do anything it must get tough. 

I know I could have swung a fun time for a few years doing the cheap condo and extra money to party deal but no way I would want to do that for the rest of my life. It was like back in college, yeah it was fun getting high and shagging college chicks but after a few years it was old and boring. I would have to think the same would happen with many here too. However with that said I would also have to guess that ones age, personal make up, mobility and health would have a lot to do with the decision.

I personally think at bare minimum 50k baht affords you a descent place with a few  luxuries from time to time, and if managed well you might be able to save a small sum for a special trip. But we are all different so its to hard to have a set number that works for all

i think, sihanukville in cambodia is now the cheapest place, if you like to drink beer on the beach, watching the people walking by,  sitting in a comfortable lounge chair, and listen to good chill-out musik, 1 glass angkor for 50 cents, (it is brewed here in sihanukville) around 17 baht. barracuda steak with everything 3 dollar. hotels cheaper than thailand. i was there last week.

Yes it is but in the big picture getting from there to anywhere else on the planet is a nightmare. Pattaya just needs a 2 hour drive to Bangkok airports and your on your way to any destination on earth