Monks And Tarot Cards

AlexLah

Hi all just a question.

Today two monks in my house and a few Thai friends (girls mostly).

One monk was using tarot cards to (according to him) predict future and give answers to questions

some of my friends have. To my knowledge the tarot cards should be used for fun, only to open up discussion and thinking about situations/problems you are facing now.

I tried to explain my friends not to believe 100% what they say/predict but it was as if talking to a deaf mens/girls ear. I showed them my book about the tarot where it states that the 'game' of tarot is only to be used to get insight in yourself and not to be predictions of what is going to happen to you.

I feel just disgusted about those monks that are claiming to be Budhist and say that they have the ultimate knowledge by using a deck of cards at a few poorly educated people.

At the end I let them know I would like them to leave my house, and so they did as I threatened to make a picture of them with the tarot cards.

:o

I once asked a head monk in a wat why they allowed astrologers , tarot readers and all kinds of soothsayers within the walls, he said that it's ok as they have the weak beer but we have the strong whisky. Which made sense if we take it as a metaphor ; in the Lotus Sutra it says that all faiths are aspirants of the Dharma and I believe that to be the case. But of course as I got to know Thailand a litle better I wasn't sure that those words of apparant wisdom weren't in fact to be taken literally :D

The thing is that some of the things that happen within Thai Buddhism aren't strictly anything more than mere superstition. And often monks carrying out no more than social functions. But that doesn't mean that we should't respect those traditions unless they are actually in direct contradiction to what the Buddha forbade. The case that you mention is no more to be frowned upon than anything else that has become integrated into the Thai way of life and culture. Sometimes we tend to impose our own cultural values rather than learning anothers.

It would be far better to either to adopt 'mai phen rai' in these things, or to introduce those girls to what the heart of Buddhism really is . We should not condemn - better if we can offer a good reason ,and argue in Dharma, why these things are not really that helpful. That is, question whether these props are conducive to happiness and acting according to the dictates of good conscience.

But with shallow hopes benig misinterpreted as faith and chok dee being only conspicuous benefits of tokenism, rather than an actual transformation of the mind which is at the heart of Buddism ; then anyone may have their work cut out in this respect.

That's my take anyway :o

Edited by chutai

Thanks Chutai for your wise reply.

Not misunderstand me I am Ok with all kinds of stuff like astrology and tarot but these things should only be used to get more insight in yourself (start thinking) and not so much as being true as

being told by these monks. I did tarot myself years ago and had many friends come to me as they spread the word that all I was saying was so true (present life). While the only thing I was doing was giving general advice on how to deal with problems.

For example:

You need to eat healtier food, more vegetables.

Please discuss with your parents about what you feel and how you think.

Yes you lost your GF/BF, did you ask yourself or your partner why?

Just general things that apply to most of us and for sure it made them think and think about their actions.

What I did not like about those monk is that for example a girl asking if she should take the position offered to her at a bank and he said: No, it will mean bad luck to you according to the cards.

He made many more statements like that and that is why I wanted him to leave.

Nothing to do with Mai Pen Rai.

I explained what I know about Budhism and they said: How can you know about that, you are not a Budhist.

End of discussion....

Alex

I explained what I know about Budhism and they said: How can you know about that, you are not a Budhist.

Sounds like they felt they were made to lose face. In that situation I would probably not have asked them to leave, but waited until they left and then explained about correct Tarot use (and correct Buddhism!) to the girls. But in my experience it's pointless to tell Thais that fortune-telling is not accurate or that monks can't do it.

I don't think Thais are totally taken in by fortune-tellers either. Some will just go from one to another until they hear that what they intend to do is what the mor-doo recommends. That way they feel happy about the decision they made already.

Hi Camerata, Yes I wanted them to loose face as I do not agree with their methods of influencing people. All of the Thai did not agree with me but at least I prevented them to talk more BS.

I told them (when they where still there) to tell me my mothers name if they are so good.

I showed them (my friends) my books about Bhuddism and told them what real Bhuddism is all about and asked them if they ever learn that. Yes I was really upset but the Thai's did not care.

All they wanted was some guy placing cards on a table and talk BS.

The arrogance showed by these monks when I wai them (they not wai back) told me already something.

And they are here to celebrate the Kings birthday, what a bunch of miserable people.

Sorry to share this with you all but I am so upset about this.

Alex

I feel just disgusted about those monks that are claiming to be Budhist and say that they have the ultimate knowledge by using a deck of cards at a few poorly educated people.

Did the monks say they have "the ultimate knowledge" or are you breaking one of the five precepts ?

The arrogance showed by these monks when I wai them (they not wai back) told me already something.

:o:D:D

From my experience, some people can 'read the future'. I don't know how it works, (and that makes it strange), but in the hands of certain people it works with remarkable accuracy. Strange, mysterious, yes.

The truth be told, many people are frightened by the tarot cards.

Did you consider, the monk may have been right in his reading? Perhaps there were bad things in the cards about the Bank job. He may have prevented some serious problem for the girls future.

This is Thai Buddhism. Thai culture mixed with buddhism. Monk fortune tellers have been around, and accepted for awhile. No, not pure Buddhism, but 100% normal for Thai Buddhism.

My advice is to relax. IMO your huff & puff in front of the monks only looks bad in the eyes of your friends.

Edited by Grover

AlexLa

Here are some pretty useful guidlines to consider from a Buddhist perspective:

A scripture entitled the Fivefold Rules of Discipline records Shakyamuni Buddha as saying that, even when it comes to rules that the Buddha set forth, if following these in another land is not considered pure and correct in light of local customs, then one should not adopt them. Conversely, he states that one should follow local customs and practices in matters that the Buddha did not expressly forbid or permit.

The conveys Buddhism's recognition that there may be cases in which it is crucial for practitioners to follow local culture, customs and traditions, even if doing so violates some of the precepts the Buddha set forth. Regarding this principle... "When we scrutinize the sutras and treatises with care, we find that there is a teaching about a precept known as following the customs of the region... The meaning of this precept is that, so long as no seriously offensive act is involved, then even if one were to depart to some slight degree from the teachings of Buddhism, it would be better to avoid going against the manners and customs of the country. It appears that some wise men who are unaware of this point express extreme views".

In one sense, this concept speaks of Buddhism's natural flexibility in adapting to the land and culture to which it spreads. After all, the purpose of Buddhism is to awaken people to the truth and potential of their lives. It is not to bind them with unrealistic rules or interfere with their lives as citizens of their native lands. As Buddhism spread from India to China and Tibet, and through Korea to Japan, many ceremonies, deities and observances native peoples spiritual life were also incorporated into Buddhism.

In observing the spirit of adapting to local customs, it is important to identify and uphold the core and essence of Buddhism faith and practice. At the same time, one should take care not to put excessive weight on cultural adaptations that have found their way into Buddhism but are not natural in the culture in which one originates, or indeed what one considers to be not compliant to our own understanding even if that be ultimately correct.

Hi Camerata, Yes I wanted them to loose face as I do not agree with their methods of influencing people. All of the Thai did not agree with me but at least I prevented them to talk more BS.

I think you'll find most Thais are comfortable with the idea of fortune-telling and uncomfortable seeing someone to lose face.

I showed them (my friends) my books about Bhuddism and told them what real Bhuddism is all about and asked them if they ever learn that.

Ouch!

In Thailand, monks never wai a lay person - not even the king. That's the custom here. On his visit to Thailand, even the Dalai Lama found this difficult to get used to. But it is the custom, not arrogance.

Sorry to share this with you all but I am so upset about this.

I think you're probably getting too upset about something that is part of everyday life for most Thais. Some people appreciate getting advice from monks. They feel that monks have supramundane powers - the Tarot cards are just a prop.

A scripture entitled the Fivefold Rules of Discipline records Shakyamuni Buddha as saying that, even when it comes to rules that the Buddha set forth, if following these in another land is not considered pure and correct in light of local customs, then one should not adopt them. Conversely, he states that one should follow local customs and practices in matters that the Buddha did not expressly forbid or permit.

That's a pretty obscure scripture, though!

Maybe so. But do you agree in principle that this is the dignified and respectful way to conduct oneself when in a foreign culture?

In Thailand, monks never wai a lay person - not even the king. That's the custom here. On his visit to Thailand, even the Dalai Lama found this difficult to get used to. But it is the custom, not arrogance.

Not exactly... did anyone notice the HMK 60th aniversary a few months ago? There were some very high level monks chanting for the King. Then the King gave some gifts to the monks, as is usual. The interesting think was the Wai the King made to the monks and the small wai given by some monks to the King! I was stunned ! :D:o In these cases, the wais were almost simultaneous.

Edited by Grover

Hi all,

Ok I cooled down already.

But I find it a bit strange that monks do not have to wai, not even the King (or maybe give a small wai). They are humans and not more or less then any other human. It is just about being polite in my opinion. Next to that I always got a wai back when visiting Kalasin temple and monks.

I talked with my friends today about the tarot and how to use the cards message properly.

Also they sort of agreed that those monks could be doing the card thing just for the money (100 Bath per reading).

So in the end they sort of agreed that life is what you make of it yourself.

I now also understand that following the cards advice is just the easy way out for them as they do not want to think too much.

At least I have the girl (very unstable person) writing down sort of a life story so that together we can analyse where things went wrong or good and hopefully can find some sort of solution or things to work on.

And yes I also have experience with one lady that almost exactly was telling me my past and present by only touching my hand. When she asked me if I wanted to know my future I declined.

So I believe that there are people that have some sort of special sense but I am also sure that this monk whas not one of them :o

Take care all and thanks for all the advice and interesting replies.

Alex

Edited by AlexLah

Maybe so. But do you agree in principle that this is the dignified and respectful way to conduct oneself when in a foreign culture?

I don't think this text is just a generic instruction to respect local customs. It seems more like a green light to change the path the Buddha taught to make it more palatable to non-believers. That sounds dangerous to me.

With regard to fortune-telling, I'm sure any senior Thai monk would say it is wrong and not part of Buddhism, even though it is widespread. The Buddha specifically said that soothsaying was Wrong Livelihood, so I doubt monks are officially allowed to tell fortunes for 100 baht.

My view is that fortune-telling is not an officially sanctioned adaptation of the Buddha's dispensation, but since many Thai people seem to need this pseudo-Buddhism some monks feel obliged to provide it and there's no point in us criticising. Whenever I get the chance, though, I do point out to Thai friends that relying on external comforts like fortune-tellers and amulets is unskillful. The usual response it that it makes them feel good.

I don't think this text is just a generic instruction to respect local customs. It seems more like a green light to change the path the Buddha taught to make it more palatable to non-believers. That sounds dangerous to me.

Oh dear :o

So at the heart of Buddhism isn't respect then but rigid dogma that alienates others. Good thing that Shakyamuni Buddha didn't have the same mind-set as we'd all be without an example and that which enlarges upon his own enlightenment. That is, Buddhism would still have been a small sect operating within the culture and traditions of Brahmanism instead of a teaching that reveals that we all have the Buddha nature. Now, just as Brahmanistic adherents thought - that really is dangerous. :D

My understanding from talking with a friend who is a nun and from reading about it is that knowing the future, talking to spirits, reading others' minds, etc. (supramundane knowledge) are accepted as phenomenon that may occur as one travels the path toward greater mastery in meditation but they are not the destination. The practitioner shouldn't be drawn in or distracted from walking the path by such any more than by awareness of sense phenomenon (hearing, seeing, touching, etc.). They may be signs of spiritual development but they are not the path or the "end" of the path.

I think tarot cards can be a tool to present supramundane information to others when one has those skills or abilities. My partner's aunt is quite adept with tarot cards and uses them in a very reverential way, firmly within the context of being Buddhist. She uses them for good, to help others.

I think it's kind of funny about being upset that monks won't wai back. Dude, among other things, monks won't even touch something I'm touching. If you can't handle no wai-ing, try that custom on and see how you do. :o

Yo Mapletree,

I was not upset by him not give a wai back.

I was upset by all the BS he was telling to a very unstable person.

I have played around with tarot cards myself in the past and I remember some of the cards

and what they suppose to mean. I asked my friend to translate what he was telling that card means and he was just wrong, just talking utter nonsense. That is why I got upset.

And then him claiming the cards represented the truth.

If he was really a good monk, he should have listened to her problems and present her ways to deal with or overcome it from a Bhuddist perspective (can I say it like that?).

Anyway I have learned many things from this thread and so my friends.

One thing I also asked my friends is if I have to wai a monk.

No, they said if you do not feel/want you do not have to, which make sense as they do not wai back

anyway (few exceptions in my case) and according to posters here.

So at least this big fat tarot monk who when he is in Kalasin just sits in his room and collects the gifts and donations and spending 1 million Bath (in donations to the temple) to buy some furniture for his room, will not get any wai from me whenever I meet him again.

The others I will wai as i know at least they do something to help other people.

Alex

I think tarot cards can be a tool to present supramundane information to others when one has those skills or abilities. My partner's aunt is quite adept with tarot cards and uses them in a very reverential way, firmly within the context of being Buddhist. She uses them for good, to help others.

My problem with this is, that as we sincerely and regularly practice Buddhism then we may gain all sorts of insights and even powers, but more we develop the wisdom of our inherent Buddha nature. It is this wisdom and compassion that gives us the greatest tool for helping others, i.e our Bodhisattva heart. I would never condenmn what another may or may not do, but I would wonder why anyone needs other means but their own Buddha nature to be the ultimate help to others?

I guess that it all comes down to teaching that if you want to understand your present then look at the causes that you made in the past, if you wan't to know the future examine what you're doing in the present. No soothsayer is need to divine that truth.

Having said that I have been known to consult the I Ching on ocassions, but even if I did understand what it had said, I then promptly forgot anyway :o However, it usually pointed towards continuing in my practice anyway

Edited by chutai

So at the heart of Buddhism isn't respect then but rigid dogma that alienates others.

Your words, not mine. Just because the Buddha didn't expressly forbid tarot card readings doesn't mean it's OK and won't lead to corruption and misunderstanding of the teachings. It's not going to lead anyone towards enlightenment. There must be a million things the Buddha didn't expressly forbid. Someone with a solid grounding in Dhamma would know what is unskillful, but others might not. I can accept that Thais need fortune-tellers, but that doesn't mean I'm going to incorporate it into my practice just because it's a local custom that the Buddha didn't specifically forbid.

That is, Buddhism would still have been a small sect operating within the culture and traditions of Brahmanism instead of a teaching that reveals that we all have the Buddha nature.

Ah... I see you're a Mahayanist. :o

No, they said if you do not feel/want you do not have to, which make sense as they do not wai back

anyway (few exceptions in my case) and according to posters here.

The reason monks don't wai back is nothing to do with "common courtesy" or not respecting you as an individual. It's because in hierarchical Thai culture they are right at the top, above all worldly concerns. They are expected to act in a different way to everyone else. You are also supposed to keep your head lower than a monk's too, if possible.

Your words, not mine. Just because the Buddha didn't expressly forbid tarot card readings doesn't mean it's OK and won't lead to corruption and misunderstanding of the teachings. It's not going to lead anyone towards enlightenment. There must be a million things the Buddha didn't expressly forbid. Someone with a solid grounding in Dhamma would know what is unskillful, but others might not. I can accept that Thais need fortune-tellers, but that doesn't mean I'm going to incorporate it into my practice just because it's a local custom that the Buddha didn't specifically forbid.

I think that there must have been a misunderstanding along the way, as we both seem to be saying similar things (see my #19 post for instance). I wouldn't advocate anyone incorpating such things into their Buddhist practice, but neither would I condemn anyone for doing so. But like yourself, accept that Thais do just that.

Ah... I see you're a Mahayanist. :D

Indeed so :o

It's not going to lead anyone towards enlightenment.

Tarot cards (not for divination) apparently, can be used as a road-map to enlightenment. It is clearly not the middle way. It is more like the 'scenic tour'. The cards are said to be doorways into the jungian archetypal collective unconsious and further. The cards are said to be symbols of the building blocks of creation, destruction and the universe. The final stage on this 'spiritual path' is apparently a state of non-returning to the world and union with the 'unspeakable'.

Tarot cards (not for divination) apparently, can be used as a road-map to enlightenment. It is clearly not the middle way. It is more like the 'scenic tour'. The cards are said to be doorways into the jungian archetypal collective unconsious and further. The cards are said to be symbols of the building blocks of creation, destruction and the universe. The final stage on this 'spiritual path' is apparently a state of non-returning to the world and union with the 'unspeakable'.

The Buddha taught that any religion or philosophy must contain the elements of the Noble Eightfold Path if it is to lead to nibhanna. A deck of cards probably doesn't have these elements.

Chownah

The Buddha taught that any religion or philosophy must contain the elements of the Noble Eightfold Path if it is to lead to nibhanna. A deck of cards probably doesn't have these elements.

Chownah

And that "clinging to concepts" can only create dukkha.

This sounds a bit like the function of mandalas used by Tibetan and Shingon Buddhists. Is any sect actually using tarot cards?

Indeed, from what little I know on the matter they have similarities with mandalas.

I think only western occult sects are using the symbols in the cards as a tool for 'enlightenment'.

The Buddha taught that any religion or philosophy must contain the elements of the Noble Eightfold Path if it is to lead to nibhanna.

Chownah

I don't think Buddhism has the monopoly on enlightenment, nor the 8 Fold path the only path to the top.

A deck of cards probably doesn't have these elements.

A deck of cards is just ink printed on paper. Like the Buddhist scriptures - ink on paper.

Like the pictures, the words are symbols.

Edited by Grover

D.2 contains an even more detailed description of inappropriate means for gaining a livelihood. The ideal bhikkhu, it says,

"abstains from running messages ... from buying and selling ... from dealing with false scales, false metals, and false measures ... from bribery, deception, and fraud. He abstains from mutilating, executing, imprisoning, highway robbery, plunder, and violence...

"Whereas some priests and contemplatives, living off food given in faith, are addicted to running messages and errands for people such as these — kings, ministers of state, noble warriors, priests, householders, or youths (who say), 'Go here,' 'Go there,' 'Take this there,' 'Fetch that here' — he abstains from running messages and errands for people such as these...

"Whereas some priests and contemplatives, living off food given in faith, maintain themselves by wrong livelihood, by such lowly arts as:

reading marks on the limbs (e.g., palmistry);

reading omens and signs;

interpreting celestial events (falling stars, comets);

interpreting dreams;

reading marks on the body (e.g., phrenology);

reading marks on cloth gnawed by mice;

offering fire oblations, oblations from a ladle, oblations of husks, rice powder, rice grains, ghee, and oil;

offering oblations from the mouth;

offering blood-sacrifices;

making predictions based on the fingertips;

geomancy;

laying demons in a cemetery;

placing spells on spirits;

reciting house-protection charms;

snake charming, poison-lore, scorpion-lore, rat-lore, bird-lore, crow-lore;

fortune-telling based on visions;

giving protective charms;

interpreting the calls of birds and animals —

he abstains from wrong livelihood, from lowly arts such as these.

"Whereas some priests and contemplatives, living off food given in faith, maintain themselves by wrong livelihood, by such lowly arts as: determining lucky and unlucky gems, garments, staffs, swords, spears, arrows, bows, and other weapons; women, boys, girls, male slaves, female slaves; elephants, horses, buffaloes, bulls, cows, goats, rams, fowl, quails, lizards, long-eared rodents, tortoises, and other animals — he abstains from wrong livelihood, from lowly arts such as these.

"Whereas some priests and contemplatives, living off food given in faith, maintain themselves by wrong livelihood, by such lowly arts as forecasting:

the rulers will march forth;

the rulers will march forth and return;

our rulers will attack, and their rulers will retreat;

their rulers will attack, and our rulers will retreat;

there will be triumph for our rulers and defeat for their rulers;

there will be triumph for their rulers and defeat for our rulers;

thus there will be triumph, thus there will be defeat —

"Whereas some priests and contemplatives, living off food given in faith, maintain themselves by wrong livelihood, by such lowly arts as forecasting:

there will be a lunar eclipse;

there will be a solar eclipse;

there will be an occultation of an asterism;

the sun and moon will go their normal courses;

the sun and moon will go astray;

the asterisms will go their normal courses;

the asterisms will go astray;

there will be a meteor shower;

there will be a darkening of the sky;

there will be an earthquake;

there will be thunder coming from a clear sky;

there will be a rising, a setting, a darkening, a brightening of the sun, moon, and asterisms;

such will be the result of the lunar eclipse ... the rising, setting, darkening, brightening of the sun, moon, and asterisms —

there will be abundant rain; there will be a drought;

there will be plenty; there will be famine;

there will be rest and security; there will be danger;

there will be disease; there will be freedom from disease;

or they earn their living by counting, accounting, calculation, composing poetry, or teaching hedonistic arts and doctrines (lokayata) —

"Whereas some priests and contemplatives, living off food given in faith, maintain themselves by wrong livelihood, by such lowly arts as:

calculating auspicious dates for marriages, betrothals, divorces; for collecting debts or making investments and loans; for being attractive or unattractive; curing women who have undergone miscarriages or abortions;

reciting spells to bind a man's tongue, to paralyze his jaws, to make him lose control over his hands, or to bring on deafness;

getting oracular answers to questions addressed to a mirror, to a young girl, or to a spirit medium;

worshipping the sun, worshipping the Great Brahma, bringing forth flames from the mouth, invoking the goddess of luck —

promising gifts to deities in return for favors; fulfilling such promises;

demonology;

teaching house-protection spells;

inducing virility and impotence;

consecrating sites for construction;

giving ceremonial mouthwashes and ceremonial baths;

offering sacrificial fires;

preparing emetics, purgatives, expectorants, diuretics, headache cures; preparing ear-oil, eye-drops, oil for treatment through the nose, collyrium, and counter-medicines; curing cataracts, practicing surgery, practicing as a children's doctor, administering medicines and treatments to cure their after-effects —

he abstains from wrong livelihood, from lowly arts such as these. This, too, is part of his virtue."

The Khandhakas contain only a few rules related to wrong livelihood. A bhikkhu who learns or teaches any of the "lowly arts" mentioned above incurs a dukkata. The same holds true for a bhikkhu who learns or teaches lokayata, a term whose meaning is controversial. S.XII.48 indicates that lokayata is a form of metaphysics, cosmology, or systematic ontology. The four main tenets of lokayata, it says, are: everything exists, nothing exists, everything is a oneness, everything is a plurality. The Commentary defines lokayata as sophistry ("For this and this reason, crows are white, herons are black") and the teachings of other sectarians. Because the lokayatans of the Buddha's time tended to use their first principles to argue for a life of hedonism, some modern scholars translate lokayata as hedonism. Whatever the term's precise definition, it can be extended through the Great Standards to cover all philosophical systems at variance with Buddhist practice. The Vinaya Mukha objects to this particular prohibition, saying that it would make bhikkhus narrow and ill-informed, unable to argue effectively against non-Buddhist teachings. We must remember, however, that when the Canon was first composed, "learning" a philosophical system meant apprenticing oneself to one of its teachers and memorizing its texts. Thus it is possible to argue that this prohibition does not extend to the simple act of reading about systems whose teachings would undermine Buddhist practice. Still, one must be sensitive to one's motivation for reading about such things, and to the question of whether such reading is taking up valuable time better spent in the practice.

Buddhist Monastic Code II, Access to Insight