Wiring cables on extension lead

giruz

Hi,

First of all, apologies for the lack of proper terminology, I am not an electrician and I don't know the exact words to be used to describe certain items.

I bought at Tesco an extension lead that can be used with plugs from several different countries (UK, EU, US). I had to replace the plug that goes into the wall K sockets but I couldn't check the wiring because it was molded.

I can't map the wiring to the usual Green & Yellow, Back and Brown.

I've opened the extension lead and there are three wires (Brown, Grey and Black) that are connected to the socket picture attached in some sort of messy way (at least for me) - (there are three switches on/off and one button to 'test')

I would appreciate if someone could have a look and confirm

• Brown -> Ground
  • Grey -> L
  • Blue -> N

thanks

From the incoming CORD, the colors used are:

• PINK  = Earth Ground
  • GRAY = Live
  • BLACK = Neutral

But then the internal wiring swaps colors, using:

• BLACK color tying common plug Grounds
  • RED color tying common plug Neutrals
  • BLUE color applying plug Live from each associated switch
  • BARE COPPER is used as a common bus bar supplying Live to each switch

The power strip uses short leads of PINK color jumpers between the internal breaker, MOV/Capacitors, and both Neutral and Live buses and these should be ignored.  Electricity doesn't care what color the wire coating is.

It's interesting that each plug switch effectively shorts out the plug Live to Neutral when in the OFF position.

Just remember that most of these convenience-store bought power strips are not rated to carry even current load they are fused for, and will easily melt if used with high-wattage appliances like electric on-demand water kettles or BBQ cookers.

The wiring colours are indeed random in the extension and the only way you are going to know how the plug wires were connected (or even if they were connected) is  to use a meter.

personally I would not continue to use an extension made like that one.

you may find this interesting 

From Crossy's website archive:

socket-1.jpg

This is the wiring of a typical Thai outlet.  

If you use a multi-meter set on continuity then you should be able to find which plug pin is connected to which colored wire in a molded three-pin plug.  The same cannot be said for two-pin plugs, or plugs using the older round Schuko plug as they can easily be plugged in backwards on flat surface sockets. 

3 hours ago, RichCor said:

It's interesting that each plug switch effectively shorts out the plug Live to Neutral when in the OFF position

The third terminal on the switch is for the neon which needs a neutral to light up :)

personally I would not continue to use an extension made like that one.

I forgot to the main reason. And that is due  to the connections being soldered. So if there is a fault that develops it could desolder any of the leads so quite possibly leaving your appliance live and ready to kill and it could do that even with safe-T cut in your distribution box.. The connections should be crimped or screwed