Luxury condo in Nana/Asoke

4 hours ago, RobertPaul said:

Hey,

I just registered to give an answer to the OP.

I don't own a condo at the Hyde but I live in one of them since 4 months now and what I can tell is that I'm not too happy about it. First of all, I pay 40.000 per month plus extras for supposedly 46 sqm, which would be fine for the location and amenities, but not when I consider the overall quality of the building.

For example:

- In my room, the aircon is making trouble and loud noises since day one. Technicians could not help.

- When I have a shower that stresses the water heater while the aircon is on, I get a power outage. It took about 8-10 visits of technicians already and is still not fixed

- The pool area is closed down for 6 week at the moment because of "lightning maintenance". In the last 2 weeks, I have not seen a single person working there

- The construction area next to the Hyde is quite noisy and the new building is throwing a huge shadow on the pool area from 11:30 onwards

- The water pressure in some of the sinks is frustrating

- simple/cheap flooring and kitchen

- single glassed windows (is this standard in Thailand?)

- My owner said that people here have to rent for 6 months+

On the other hand, the building looks quite impressive, has a nice lobby, friendly Thai staff (no english, except in the management office), a small gym and some rooms that nobody ever uses like karaoke, children play rooms and a super small sauna.

When I decided to stay in this building, there was more than 120 free condos in this property, so I think the owners have a hard time to find people to rent their rooms. However, none of them offered me a rent below 37.000 per month, because of which most of them remain empty.

So if I had to invest in a condo in Bangkok, I would definitely look for something else.

That's a very useful post. Thank you.

On 04 December 2016 at 4:04 PM, RobertPaul said:

Hey,

I don't own a condo at the Hyde but I live in one of them since 4 months now and what I can tell is that I'm not too happy about it. First of all, I pay 40.000 per month plus extras for supposedly 46 sqm, which would be fine for the location and amenities, but not when I consider the overall quality of the building.

For example:

- In my room, the aircon is making trouble and loud noises since day one. Technicians could not help.

- When I have a shower that stresses the water heater while the aircon is on, I get a power outage. It took about 8-10 visits of technicians already and is still not fixed

- The pool area is closed down for 6 week at the moment because of "lightning maintenance". In the last 2 weeks, I have not seen a single person working there

- The construction area next to the Hyde is quite noisy and the new building is throwing a huge shadow on the pool area from 11:30 onwards

On the other hand, the building looks quite impressive, has a nice lobby, friendly Thai staff (no english, except in the management office), a small gym and some rooms that nobody ever uses like karaoke, children play rooms and a super small sauna.

When I decided to stay in this building, there was more than 120 free condos in this property, so I think the owners have a hard time to find people to rent their rooms. However, none of them offered me a rent below 37.000 per month, because of which most of them remain empty.

So if I had to invest in a condo in Bangkok, I would definitely look for something else.

This is a pretty good description of the main issues with this building. On the surface it looks impressive but dig a little deeper and its clear that the quality does not extend much beyond the superficial. Exactly as this poster says,  and as i alluded to in an earlier post above, poor quality design and materials (in particular the kitchen and other built ins) and M&E issues (mainly the aircon) are the things owners and tenants  in the building seem to complain most about.

Having said that, the two owner/landlords that i know in the building have both secured long term tenants. I think because both have fairly large 2 bedroom units (which seem easier to let) and also because they both offered at reasonable rental levels; a fair bit lower (in rent psm) than this poster has been paying.

12 hours ago, wordchild said:

This is a pretty good description of the main issues with this building. On the surface it looks impressive but dig a little deeper and its clear that the quality does not extend much beyond the superficial.

Doesnt that sum up most modern condo buildings in Thailand? Certainly all new builds I see in Pattaya seem to favour gloss (or even bling) over substance.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Doesnt that sum up most modern condo buildings in Thailand? Certainly all new builds I see in Pattaya seem to favour gloss (or even bling) over substance.

I know quality or pseudo quality of a condo unit by looking at only one particular element - the door panels and lock sets. Are the door panels and locks solid and secure? Is soundproofing quality good, or do we hear the footfalls of people passing our door?

It is easy to spend a lump sum to jazz up the lobby. But it is costly to provide 3-5 quality door panels to each unit.

Edited by trogers

6 minutes ago, trogers said:

I know quality or pseudo quality of a condo unit by looking at only one particular element - the door panels and lock sets. Are the door panels and locks solid and secure? Is soundproofing quality good, or do we hear the footfalls of people passing our door?

Yes, there are plenty of very expensive condo buildings in Pattaya with very thin and cheap doors. Thais dont seem to care about this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/12/2016 at 8:04 PM, RobertPaul said:

Hey,

For example:

There are some units in Le Raffine ( the original block) that have never been occupied. Maybe wealthy owners ( almost certainly as they cost 30,000,000 when new , 15 years ago) looking for capital gain. The whole building came close to going up in flames after a kitchen fire in a unit about 4 or 5 years ago