Airport Immigration closing?

davehowden

Had this from a Facebook contact, anybody have any further details?

" Heard from a few people who were at airport immigration office recently that as of today (28 Nov), all immigration services will be moved to Promenada because of renovations at the Chiang Mai Airport immigration. The renovations will last 2 years. Haven't seen any official notice. Anyone know anything about this? "

I was expecting this as there was a thread a couple of weeks back about the marriage extension and one poster advised that the airport office would be closing/demolished.

But 2 years for renovations??? they must have big plans because in the last two years, the road has been widened form Hang Dong to San Sai, they built a 100 floor obscenity of a condo near the bus station and Nimmenhaemin has changed beyond all recogntion from Blackpool to Psuedo lLas Vegas.

A big job then; its too early to think things will improve though??

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Might wonder why the Immigration office near the Airport underwent extensive alterations not so long ago. CM Immigration always appears to be in a constant state of confusion.Why no official statement,always relying on rumour and hearsay

I think it`s the opposite. It`s us who are constantly left in a state of confusion and in the dark as to new rules, new policies and what, why and where with immigration. It really is a shambles when the only ways we can discover what is going on and keep up to date with the immigration procedures is from rumours and I was told by so and so.

9 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I think it`s the opposite. It`s us who are constantly left in a state of confusion and in the dark as to new rules, new policies and what, why and where with immigration. It really is a shambles when the only ways we can discover what is going on and keep up to date with the immigration procedures is from rumours and I was told by so and so.

Ask any Immigration official, and I have known one quite well for 9 years, and he tells me they keep changing their minds.Firstly they were going to build a 2 story building over the existing CM Imm Airport site, then they canned that and went to Promenada on a low rental opportunity and extended the current airport office site over the outside seating space where the coffee shop was.

My point was that an "official" statement by Bangkok would  clarify whats going on but they appear to approve of confusion.

The land adjacent to the Airport Imm Office,currently unused, would be ideal for a new site surely they have the finacial resources to buy it

Obviously if they do finally go ahead and build on the current Airport site there will be zero parking and that is not a large parcel of land and will eventually be too small.

New runway? :tongue:

<semi-rant>As an aside, if they did away with numpty things like reporting one's address dozens of times and equip long-termers with real visas/extensions (like what many sane countries do), then they wouldn't need all these facilities, staff and mountains of paperwork to get through. On reflection, I guess that is the point; to keep lots and lots of civil servants in work.</semi-rant>

New runway? :tongue:

As an aside, if they did away with numpty things like reporting one's address dozens of times and equip long-termers with real visas/extensions (like what many sane countries do), then they wouldn't need all these facilities, staff and mountains of paperwork to get through. On reflection, I guess that is the point; to keep lots and lots of civil servants in work.

Even a simple change from 90 to 180 day reporting would halve their workload.

It has been spoken about for a while

it started 2 years ago one  to approve the Building Plans

Then another year to approve the Finance

The building was supposed to be demolished by the end of October

It has been said it will take 18 months to build

Then my guess with all the new system they are talking about to get it all working

So maybe in 2 years time it willl all go back to the Airport Immigration office

Then the Promenade Immigration will probably close

Not holding my breath to see if the timeline is achieved

announcement made - done deal - listed in Chiang Mai Immigration site

http://chiangmaiimm.com/en/

The temporary moving of Chiang Mai Immigration

25-11-2016 Hits:32 ประกาศ Super User

krut.jpg

Chiang Mai Immigration will temporarily move, only Services for Foreigner Sub-Division [except Immigration Service Center for Legalized Labours of Three Nationalities (Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia)] and General Staff Sub-Division, to G floor, A Building, Promenada Resort Mall Chiang Mai, Tumbon Tasala, Amphur Muang Chiang Mai. The office will be open...

Read more

Archived